Woodlot saw choices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob,

I think you need a 2 saw combo. One 60cc saw would probably do it, but having 2 saws is much more enjoyable when cutting. If you like Jonsered, I would suggest a 2149 (I believe this is the model number that corresponds to the Husky 346) and a 2171 (same a Husky 372). That would be a great firewood combo, and, after running that old 621 for so long, you can justify treating yourself to something new!

Josh

Which one feels better...

Handle/compare the 359/2159 to the 361 with comparable bar lengths. I was in your shoes a few years back and I'm very pleased with my 359. I cut 5-6 cords of Oak 12-20" using a 16 & 18" bars. I won't deny the performance gain/temp drop by switching to non cat muffler. But honestly, my 359 Etech(Cat Muffler) had plenty of power (not anemic in any way) after 5-10 tanks. You probably don't need to spend the extra$$ on a 357xp. But if you like the Stihl there aren't any other models that are close to the 361 in power, weight or construction. Reguardless, I would reccommend buying a saw that uses 3/8" chain.

.........If you like Jonsered, I would suggest a 2149 (I believe this is the model number that corresponds to the Husky 346) and a 2171 (same a Husky 372)........

The model number that corresponds to the Husqvarna 346xp is Jonsered 2147
attachment.php

Last edited:
My dealer would like to sell me a new Jonsered 2152 ($430) or 2159 ($500).

I'm gonna recommend the 2159. I owned one, loved it...only reason I don't still have it is that I traded it in for a 2171 to get more power for larger tasks.

A 2159 will take anywhere from 10 - 20 tanks to get fully broken in, but the extra power might come in handy for you over the 2152.

A 2156, also a nice alternative, will probably set you back another $100 or so over the 2159, and it doesn't have THAT much more power.

As to the handlerbar angle, I prefer the Jonsered straight. Personal preference only.

Definitely stick to the dealer, though, regardless of which brand you go with. After you get it broken in, you will likely need a carb adjustment. Unless you're comfortable doing that yourself, a big-box or the internet will be unable to help you. And the prices your Jonny dealer quoted you are very good, BTW...sounds like he wants your business. It'd be good to have him on your side, I believe.

I'm gonna recommend the 2159. I owned one, loved it...only reason I don't still have it is that I traded it in for a 2171 to get more power for larger tasks.

A 2159 will take anywhere from 10 - 20 tanks to get fully broken in, but the extra power might come in handy for you over the 2152.

A 2156, also a nice alternative, will probably set you back another $100 or so over the 2159, and it doesn't have THAT much more power.

As to the handlerbar angle, I prefer the Jonsered straight. Personal preference only.

Definitely stick to the dealer, though, regardless of which brand you go with. After you get it broken in, you will likely need a carb adjustment. Unless you're comfortable doing that yourself, a big-box or the internet will be unable to help you. And the prices your Jonny dealer quoted you are very good, BTW...sounds like he wants your business. It'd be good to have him on your side, I believe.
Finally I here it 2156 not much more power than a 2159! Thats what I found when I ran the two at the dealer. I am also one of those few that can't get used to the feel of a Husky. You make a very strong point about the 2171 hopefully my next saw.

Sold

I found a dealer who handles both Huskies and Jonsered, so I could heft them side by side. Then back to my local shop to buy a 2159.

$566 for the saw, two bars (20 and 16) and two chains. The extra bar was a piece of advice I got here (as a more practical alternative to a second saw). And for the ocassional times when that 16" bar just isn't long enough.

Took the old saw to our local transfer station.

Next project - a real woodshed instead of the pallettes and tarps

Thanks again , everyone

I found a dealer who handles both Huskies and Jonsered, so I could heft them side by side. Then back to my local shop to buy a 2159.

$566 for the saw, two bars (20 and 16) and two chains. The extra bar was a piece of advice I got here (as a more practical alternative to a second saw). And for the ocassional times when that 16" bar just isn't long enough.

Took the old saw to our local transfer station.

Next project - a real woodshed instead of the pallettes and tarps

Thanks again , everyone
I am sure you will like your new saw and will be surprised at how smooth it cut's.

Latest posts

Back