Wool Pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OcoeeG

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey fellas I have a few pair of wool pants that I had made for sale in the classifieds. Awesome work pants and guaranteed to keep you warm.

Yeah they are a little warm for this climate. But really comfortable on the "cold" days. I had the majority of them lined so the itch factor is not an issue. Truthfully though even the unlined ones aren't really itchy.

... Truthfully though even the unlined ones aren't really itchy.

+1 Quality wool isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Plus, it's the only fabric that will dry from the inside out, from body heat.

I've got a pair of wool Army pants that have been keeping me warm for a couple of decades now. Can't beat them.

+1 Quality wool isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. Plus, it's the only fabric that will dry from the inside out, from body heat.

I've got a pair of wool Army pants that have been keeping me warm for a couple of decades now. Can't beat them.

Yup...quality wool makes all the difference. I have some old Pendleton shirts that were always hand washed in cold water...they're plenty soft and comfortable.

Yup...quality wool makes all the difference. I have some old Pendleton shirts that were always hand washed in cold water...they're plenty soft and comfortable.

pendleton shirts are good stuff.

I like wool ; ; It,s like an oxymoron to be an Alaskan and Not like wool ... ..
. What was involved in having them made ???

. I actually use synthetics much more than wool any more ....How can ya go wrong , clothes made from old milk jugs ....
Interesting idea, I never thought of it like that.

We wore wool pants when I first joined the fire dept. They were decent quality and never made me itch. I have a couple pairs of Filson woolies that are great along with a few Pendelton shirts. Great stuff.

Polar Tec , and some other polyester cloth is made from recycled milk jugs .. I have a polar tec long john shirt I have been wearing for 11 years . It still is great ...... Wore out the bottoms a few years ago ..... I like to tell enviromentalists that I wear recycled clothes while I fall ancient forests :chainsawguy::chainsawguy:

I own 5 pairs of US Air Force Dress Blue uniform pants. They are a winter weight, 85% wool and 15% polyester blend that is machine washable. They keep me warm and dry even in wet snow. They are not itchy at all and they wear like iron. I got them from www.majorsurplus.com for about $15 a pair. They are my favorite winter pants and I love them.

Last edited:
Polar Tec , and some other polyester cloth is made from recycled milk jugs .. I have a polar tec long john shirt I have been wearing for 11 years . It still is great ...... Wore out the bottoms a few years ago ..... I like to tell enviromentalists that I wear recycled clothes while I fall ancient forests :chainsawguy::chainsawguy:
Hey Tramp, what do you guys use for rain gear up there in Alaska? Right now the fall rains have begun here in the midwest. I usually use a coat I got from my son-in-law who was in the USAF. I liked it because it breathed, and you didn't sweat to death when working in it; however, it seems to be losing its water repellancy the more I use it. Have you ever used the Tin Cloth waxed cotton material they show in Madsen's catalog? Maybe something with GoreTex would work. All I know is something has to be better than What I have now.:confused:

I have gone over to the polyester side also. We don't usually get very cold here, but we get pretty wet from 8 months of drizzly fog. I have one lightweight top that has lasted around 8 years now of heavy use. If I'm moving around, I'll not bother with a raincoat--too sauna like. I don't care what they say, the breathable stuff doesn't breath enough. Goretex is too spendy to tear up. When it gets cool enough, I'll switch from the rubber rain pants to tin pants.

My old tin pants are pretty ripped up so I will be maybe getting another pair tomorrow.

I have gone over to the polyester side also. We don't usually get very cold here, but we get pretty wet from 8 months of drizzly fog. I have one lightweight top that has lasted around 8 years now of heavy use. If I'm moving around, I'll not bother with a raincoat--too sauna like. I don't care what they say, the breathable stuff doesn't breath enough. Goretex is too spendy to tear up. When it gets cool enough, I'll switch from the rubber rain pants to tin pants.

My old tin pants are pretty ripped up so I will be maybe getting another pair tomorrow.
Do you have to occasionally treat the tin pant fabric to keep them waterproof?

I have a tin Filson logger's coat that I wear on rainy days. It is a tough piece of gear but it is so stiff it won't hang on a hanger. It has to be stuffed into the bottom of the closet with the boots. It is also a real pain for the first few minutes of wearing it till it heats up and softens.

Back