work crew expectations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greener pastures

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First time poster, long time lurker on this great site. Apologies for the very long post. Made some mistakes hiring a crew the other day but mainly looking for input from professionals on expectations. And please don't flame me for being naive.

We had some big trees removed from our lot during the last two winters by a professional arborist when the ground was good and frozen. We have been talking about renting a stump grinder to finish the job during the summer but some of the large stumps were absolutely dauntingly.

This time of year my wife and I are working around our mini-farm from sunup to sundown on weekends, and during a water break on Saturday a young guy and a helper drove up with a rental grinder trying to sell their services. As a general rule we never hire anyone without a reference but we also realize "you gotta start somewhere."

Apparently they had been working for a neighbor and still had the rental, and he had told them we had tree work done and might want the stumps removed. He did not have a set price per inch, but wanted to see each stump and gave us a discount on each additional stump we came up with. When I asked how he set the price, he said he had to cover his rental of the machine at $230 a day but kept saying "these are really good prices" even though we weren't even trying to negotiate. On some of the really big stumps he said they needed to be sawed down but his saw wasn't big enough. I thought about sawing them down myself but I had a ton of bare root perennials and trees that needed to go in the ground ASAP. We finally agreed he could use my saw (with me watching out of the corner of my eye) in exchange for a break on the price (this actually worked out OK but was a mistake). But I made some other mistakes.
1. No written estimate with exact description of what was to be done and when.
2. No confirmation of insurance (turned out not to be an issue but we should have gotten this)
3. Use of safety equipment (ditto)

So we ended up hiring these guys to grind 12 stumps (some small, a couple really big) not on price but because we just wanted to check something off our 2-page to-do list. Being the weekend we could keep an eye on them as well. I work from home and it is incredibly distracting to have contractors on site during the work week.

I looked straight at him with a smile and said, "and you're gonna do all this today?" because it seemed like a ton of work and I've run a stump grinder before. He said "well yeah" and they would get to work right away (I think it was about 11 AM). And they got through most of them by 530 when they quit for the day.

He said he would be there between 9 and 10 on Sunday morning to finish up. He asked for a partial payment and I agreed since it easily covered what they had done so far. They left all their equipment.

They never showed on Sunday which I thought was strange since he was paying for the rental.

When they showed up on Monday at 11 AM I asked what happened he said they were "too burnt out," and "it was a Sunday." They were late Monday since they had "forgotten the key" and had to go back. I told him he should have called and he responded "but I don't have your number." When I reminded him it was on the check he replied that it was "long gone." We had a lot of back and forth about how to run a business, and he said "hey I'm just a private individual."

When he said I was being "petty" I told him to pack it up and go. We had a disagreement about what I owed since I thought he promised an additional stump in his quote. We finally agreed on a price and he left.

So my question is this, was I expecting too much for him to work on a Sunday? I just don't understand his response since he had even told me what time. And how can he afford to keep that machine idle an entire day?

Most individuals that do private work on the side don't use a contract, except if they are an actual business. I will do this if I actually know the person or is friends of a friend. But its getting to where some sort of paper work is needed to Cya. Now my opinion is the guy should have called your on Sunday to give an explanation on why he wasn't showing up, that's common sense. My advice is to have to next time have a contract of date, time, and price set. Insurance is a must!!

I work 7 days a week... I rarely even know what day it is even, it's all the same.

If I tell someone a certain day or time and it's not going to work out, for sure I get in touch.

Hate to say it, but stuff like that often is part of what seperate a professional from a hack.

You are expecting too much for anyone to work on a Sunday for a non-emergency job. People have families & lives. If I'm asked about weekend work the first thing I'll bring up are the overtime rates.
Buying a service at a contract price you should have no concern over the contractors expenses.

If he said he's be there he should have been there or called before he was supposed to be there if was not going to be. What i would have done. Tardiness is one thing I can stand. Stuff happens and jobs run long but basic professionalism is basic professionalism.

You are expecting too much for anyone to work on a Sunday for a non-emergency job. People have families & lives. If I'm asked about weekend work the first thing I'll bring up are the overtime rates.
Buying a service at a contract price you should have no concern over the contractors expenses.

I don't think he was expecting too much for the guy to finish on a Sunday. The guy should have stayed and finished on Saturday like he agreed to do to begin with. You want to be a weekend warrior? Well, you have to work on the weekends. Too bad. Nobody is making the guy go door to door on weekends and forcing him to lose family time. He signed up for the job willingly. The customer was nice enough to throw the guy a bone. The least he could do was get the work done. And then to call the customer "petty"? I would have told him to get the **** off my property and maybe not even given him any more money. What's he going to do? Sue me? I bet his attitude would have changed real fast.

To the OP...lesson learned. In the future....proof of insurance, verifiable references and a contract. And don't hire door to door hacks.

I think it worked out significantly better than it could have. I have only found one stump grinder that meets all my expectations, and I'm willing to pay a bit more for that. In your position, I probably would have hired the guy just like you did, and been happy to have 90% of the stumps done at a convenient, good price

First time poster, long time lurker on this great site. Apologies for the very long post. Made some mistakes hiring a crew the other day but mainly looking for input from professionals on expectations. And please don't flame me for being naive.

We had some big trees removed from our lot during the last two winters by a professional arborist when the ground was good and frozen. We have been talking about renting a stump grinder to finish the job during the summer but some of the large stumps were absolutely dauntingly.

This time of year my wife and I are working around our mini-farm from sunup to sundown on weekends, and during a water break on Saturday a young guy and a helper drove up with a rental grinder trying to sell their services. As a general rule we never hire anyone without a reference but we also realize "you gotta start somewhere."

Apparently they had been working for a neighbor and still had the rental, and he had told them we had tree work done and might want the stumps removed. He did not have a set price per inch, but wanted to see each stump and gave us a discount on each additional stump we came up with. When I asked how he set the price, he said he had to cover his rental of the machine at $230 a day but kept saying "these are really good prices" even though we weren't even trying to negotiate. On some of the really big stumps he said they needed to be sawed down but his saw wasn't big enough. I thought about sawing them down myself but I had a ton of bare root perennials and trees that needed to go in the ground ASAP. We finally agreed he could use my saw (with me watching out of the corner of my eye) in exchange for a break on the price (this actually worked out OK but was a mistake). But I made some other mistakes.
1. No written estimate with exact description of what was to be done and when.
2. No confirmation of insurance (turned out not to be an issue but we should have gotten this)
3. Use of safety equipment (ditto)

So we ended up hiring these guys to grind 12 stumps (some small, a couple really big) not on price but because we just wanted to check something off our 2-page to-do list. Being the weekend we could keep an eye on them as well. I work from home and it is incredibly distracting to have contractors on site during the work week.

I looked straight at him with a smile and said, "and you're gonna do all this today?" because it seemed like a ton of work and I've run a stump grinder before. He said "well yeah" and they would get to work right away (I think it was about 11 AM). And they got through most of them by 530 when they quit for the day.

He said he would be there between 9 and 10 on Sunday morning to finish up. He asked for a partial payment and I agreed since it easily covered what they had done so far. They left all their equipment.

They never showed on Sunday which I thought was strange since he was paying for the rental.

When they showed up on Monday at 11 AM I asked what happened he said they were "too burnt out," and "it was a Sunday." They were late Monday since they had "forgotten the key" and had to go back. I told him he should have called and he responded "but I don't have your number." When I reminded him it was on the check he replied that it was "long gone." We had a lot of back and forth about how to run a business, and he said "hey I'm just a private individual."

When he said I was being "petty" I told him to pack it up and go. We had a disagreement about what I owed since I thought he promised an additional stump in his quote. We finally agreed on a price and he left.

So my question is this, was I expecting too much for him to work on a Sunday? I just don't understand his response since he had even told me what time. And how can he afford to keep that machine idle an entire day?
Stump grinding isnt that hard to do it was prolly a portable grinder. The hard work is if they are doing the clean out and fill inn. They sound like jokers. Find some real workers or rent a machine next time.

Latest posts

Back