Worst saw ever built?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What was the all time worst saw ever to work on? The saw you hate the most will also work for an answer.

I would like to submit the McCulloch PM 6. If that isn't bad enough try a Homelite 150.

model 7 Mall

At the present time it's little POS , McCulloch 120,that was given to me.That aside it would have to be the enormous model 7 mall.I have spent hours on the "dummy " end of these old ear ,and back breakers.They must have ran about 10 to 1 mix,because it was like fogging for mosquitos.Nearly impossible to start when cold,my uncle belted it up to a John Deere B,with a long v-belt,from a combine.:rolleyes: The dang thing must have weighed about 90 lbs.,with it's 6 ft.bar and a chain that looks like it came from a trencher.It did cut pretty well,but you had to keep constant pressure on it to keep the gov. engaged.The chips,looked like they were made by a beaver on steriods.At 14 yrs. old,I probabely got in on the last days these old behemouths were used.These were not the "good old days".

I have tried a Homelite 150...tell me

I did'nt find it that bad, but, I got it from my my father who had unfortunately split the case when he was trying to drop the motor.

I got back into it and now it runs like a top, but it leaks like a big dog. You know a good way to seal the case. If I'm going in again, I only want it to be once.

Homelite 150 was a POS...I didn't like that screw holding the cases together way in the middle. Oh, and the air filter was a real laugh (and a half!) Didn't ya just love them kill switches?

Homie teapot saws all suck. Big time. takes three hands, with extra joints in the fingers, and half the size of an adult's but with longer fingers of course.

The worst saw I've run is a Homelite 330, too old slow, heavy and not powerful enough. follow that one for me with a Mac PM310 that didnt run right when it did run at all.

Hmmm-I kind of liked my Dad's 330-I thought the power to weght was quite respectable. Worst, I don't know but I have a great loathing for the McCulloch Mini Mac boat anchors.

A Homelite 330 is the only saw I ever owned that I didn’t have to fool with. It kept my family warm as toast for years. All I did was fuel it up and sharpen the chain. It got stolen, or I’d probably still be using it. As for worst saws, I’ve cranked, and cranked, and cranked, and cranked on McCullochs. I used a 6-10 as a kid helping my father cut pulpwood. My arm still has nightmares.

I've got a Homie 330, and I appreciate it for what it is...a low-priced consumer saw.

Metal parts that fatigue and crack, gas and oil caps that look like they belong on a vinegar jug at the grocery store, the auto oiler was almost adequate, and like one poster says, not a lot of power for it's weight.

and yet, that was my only saw for a while. when you only have one saw, you use it for everything, and get pretty good service from it. With properly sharpened chain, and a 20" bar, it had no problems knocking over a 4 foot box elder (although I burned up about a gallon of gas on just that one tree). Mine cut perhaps 100 city trees down, bucked them into manageable chunks, as well as serving up about 30 cords of firewood/year for 4 years.

Pretty good service for a free (to me) saw, one that probably only cost $250. It is extremely tired now, but still runs.

What a bunch of wimps you guys complain about those saws. The 150 was a piece of cake and the 330 was a decent Harry Homeowner saw. You never lived until you worked on the McCullouch mini Mac 6 You had to take the engine out of the case just to fix the cranker.

the worst for me would have to be the 2750 poulan,as sold stock from lowes..
recoil was a pos,like to of broke the sales clerks arm ,,both times i took it back..keeping a chain on the issued bar was enough to take half u work day..after 2 tries i madeum just take it back.. by that time my 028 had taken its place.. what a difference..

this one gave me nothing but trouble:angry:ive spent to much on it to sell

Last edited:
well runner it looked like a duck and
quacked like a duck.. but it dam sure didnt run like a duck ,,i mean husk..:)

Originally posted by oldsaw-addict
The worst saw I've run is a Homelite 330, too old slow, heavy and not powerful enough. follow that one for me with a Mac PM310 that didnt run right when it did run at all.

Too old, slow, heavy and not powerful enough ?

That saw was sold for $184.99 at Wal-Mart when the SXL was selling for $350. Would you like for me to look up the prices of the Stihl saws ? Exactly what do you think it should have been like for $185. (I still have an original 330 box with the price sticker on it) As you can tell from what the pervious guys have posted the 330 generally did what is was intended to do. My personal experience has been the carb boot was weak but as long as that was taken care of it did fine. I am a Homelite guy but I will not sing the praises of the 330 I will just state I believe it served it's purpose.

Bill

I forgot to cast my vote.

The worst saw ever was the one that rarely started and ran like sh''t when it did start. It has been many saws but unfortunately it was generally a little MAc. That does not mean all the little Macs were crap ? It just means most of the ones I ever had were.

Bill

Back