Would it be worth buying a Husky 555??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
555 is a noticeable jump in power from a 346. It's a small, light, nimble saw for 60cc. All other 60cc saws will be larger, heavier & more bulky.

The 555 will also have considerably less torque than many other 60cc saws which is evidenced by the OP's video. Another thing I noticed was how his MM made virtually no difference in cutting times. You take a cs-590 or 600p, do a MM and tune, and it will put that 555 to shame...and for ALOT less money.

My saws are all stock and my new one will be too. Weight is a big deal for me.....really bad back!

Thanks, NYH1.

The 555 will also have considerably less torque than many other 60cc saws which is evidenced by the OP's video. Another thing I noticed was how his MM made virtually no difference in cutting times. You take a cs-590 or 600p, do a MM and tune, and it will put that 555 to shame...and for ALOT less money.

Guess you missed the weight & bad back comment. But I usually disagree with almost everything you post? :D

Guess you missed the weight & bad back comment. But I usually disagree with almost everything you post? :D

Well, if all of our opinions were the same we wouldn't need this forum would we:).

And you're probably right, the extra 9/10th of a pound would put anyone's back out. No one could handle such weight.

I've handled a few 555's w/ 20" b&c. That's one of the reasons I asked about it being noticeably more powerful then my NE346XP. It's not much bigger then my 346, handled great. I wasn't sure if they could pack that much power into such a small saw. My 365 Special was a real runner. Definitely way more powerful then my 346....it was also A LOT heavier. Weight wise I don't want to get a saw that's to much heavier then a 555.

Thanks, NYH1.

I find the 555 to be a very respectable saw, even in stock form.

I've handled a few 555's w/ 20" b&c. That's one of the reasons I asked about it being noticeably more powerful then my NE346XP. It's not much bigger then my 346, handled great. I wasn't sure if they could pack that much power into such a small saw. My 365 Special was a real runner. Definitely way more powerful then my 346....it was also A LOT heavier. Weight wise I don't want to get a saw that's to much heavier then a 555.

Thanks, NYH1.
That's why I think if you ran the 562 you would be sold... Same saw as the 555 but with large mount and crank stuffers/velocity covers for more power. Up to you to decide if the added cost is worth the little extra power at that point.

The guy said not break the bank, I see an $80 list price difference between the least expensive, presumably shortest bar 600p and the normal 555 whether that counts as ALOT around the $600 mark is subjective. I spent a few minutes trying to find noise, and vibration to compare to the 555 which may or may not be in the downloadable manual. I did download the ipl's to compare and the 555's anti vibration components look more advanced.
If you go with the echo that seems to be a D 176 mount where he already has k095 bars. I think it is only about $30 to get into the small spline to fit a 555 where it can't be done on the 60cc echo's suggested can it?

If you want my advice get a longer bar and some skip chain and see how that goes. I guess it depends on how fast the stuff you have in mind cutting tapers down and how far apart the cuts will be.

Thanks, NYH1.
Like I said earlier, the 555 is noticeably stronger than your 346. Not that it'll take it's place, but nice when you need a larger saw. The Echo that keeps echoing around here is basically same size & weight as the 365 you mentioned. You are on the right track.

That's why I think if you ran the 562 you would be sold... Same saw as the 555 but with large mount and crank stuffers/velocity covers for more power. Up to you to decide if the added cost is worth the little extra power at that point.
Good option for more power, but he might like to stay with the small mount bar and slightly less weight.

The guy said not break the bank, I see an $80 list price difference between the least expensive, presumably shortest bar 600p and the normal 555 whether that counts as ALOT around the $600 mark is subjective. I spent a few minutes trying to find noise, and vibration to compare to the 555 which may or may not be in the downloadable manual. I did download the ipl's to compare and the 555's anti vibration components look more advanced.
If you go with the echo that seems to be a D 176 mount where he already has k095 bars. I think it is only about $30 to get into the small spline to fit a 555 where it can't be done on the 60cc echo's suggested can it?

If you want my advice get a longer bar and some skip chain and see how that goes. I guess it depends on how fast the stuff you have in mind cutting tapers down and how far apart the cuts will be.

By "ALOT", I was referring to the price difference between the 590 and the 555 ($150-$200 more for the 555).

Considerably would be at least 25%... ?
3.51 vs 3.65 Nm, or 3.8% less. ;)

The 555, 562, 560 huskies are great saws out of the box and better with a muff mod, I would never take an echo over one just to save a buck.

The OP said it best in the Echo thread: "I think echo out performs most dollar for dollar. If I was a millionaire I'd still use my 620... im just happy with it :) or 600p whatever." I have to agree with him. Yes, generally speaking, Echo costs less than the competition. That point often times overshadows the fact that many of their saws are built as good or better than the competition. These days, price is not the only motivating factor in an Echo purchase.

Think a 555 can hang with a ported 361? Once again, Andyshine's vid of a not broken in, $400 MM'd 590 vs. a ported 361:

Latest posts

Back