Would you allow access to small skidder to pull loads across your property?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man's trying to earn a damn living. Perhaps you guys all worried about a few saplings would rather he just go on welfare.

KARMA. What goes around comes around.

Man's trying to earn a damn living. Perhaps you guys all worried about a few saplings would rather he just go on welfare.

My replies were made in the interest of both the OP and the skid road.

The landowner, in this case, the one granting the right for a skid road, is ultimately
responsible for the way the road is laid out and for permits (like inland wetland, etc)
and any state law which may or may not apply. There may also an issue of adjacent
landowner considerations.

Nothing about good or bad logging, skid road practices, or rehab costs.

Where are you located? I think there is a stash of granite under your lawn, would you let me come over with my backhoe and look because my family is hungry? :msp_angry:

I worked hard and paid good money for my land and the peace, nature, and trees that went with it. I'm not gonna let some yahoo destroy it. If he's a person I can trust, he would understand the concerns and do what he can to ease my fears, if he's just out for a quick buck at everyone's else's expense, no way.

That's absolute crazy talk, I've learned over the years to only allow your best of friends on your property. No one else gives a damn about your property and will most certainly tear the living hell out of it.

Here is a picture of a skid trail AFTER it was finished. They fluffed it up and threw slash on it. This guy was a very good equipment operator, and they were doing their darnedest to make things look good. This unit was next to a busy tourist road. Because they were careful, they were allowed to work in wetter conditions than they normally would.

196808d1314479273-woodscrickskidtrailrehab0001-jpg

View attachment 196808

$100 is a slap in the face. Cords of wood or find another way around. The liability isnt worth a $100.

If its only worth $100 it must not be that big of a gain for him to skid across your property. I would think if he really needed the access he would pay a lot more. Sounds like this guy is looking for a cheap way to make his life easier at your expense. The only way I would allow it is if there was a legal agreement in place to return the area to an acceptable condition. I ran heavy equipment for many years and know that no matter how careful you are there is damage done. Especially if you get into a tough spot, the mess you make is secondary to getting unstuck or getting the job done in adverse weather conditions. Don't do it for $100 unless you are willing to have issues before its all over. Like oldtimer said the guy is trying to make a living. That could mean that come hell or high water he's skidding through your property, no matter the conditions. All that being said I may just be too cynical...:angrysoapbox:

If its only worth $100 it must not be that big of a gain for him to skid across your property. I would think if he really needed the access he would pay a lot more. Sounds like this guy is looking for a cheap way to make his life easier at your expense.

Yup.

Kneejerk reaction there, Oldtimer.

Seedlings are YOUR future.

It's a damn skid road, not a shopping mall. Trees grew back when it was cut before, they'll grow back again after a temporary skid trail is put in.

KARMA. It's how the universe works.

It's a damn skid road, not a shopping mall. Trees grew back when it was cut before, they'll grow back again after a temporary skid trail is put in.

Not yet.

And what's Karma got to do with it anyway? he's not wronging anyone for denying access to his own property? It's his place and it's his right to do with it what he pleases including denying anyone from tearing it up.

"no. I'd rather you did not skid across my land" seems completely like a reasonable answer to me, if the OP chooses.

wtf kid, worry about your own return on the Karma front and I'll worry about mine.

I saw first hand what a small skidder can do at a friend's place. There was a U shaped piece of property with my friends in the middle. It ended up being a mess when finished, and he had more of a headache trying to get the guy to repair the damage. It was just a skidder road, but every time he drove in to his house, he said he was reminded of how he got screwed by a guy who just didn't care. I would say check his other jobs out and see how they were left. Will $100 cover the cost of replanting? What about it you have to rent a tractor for a day like my friend did?

My $.02

I had a phone call from a woodcutter that wants permission to make a skidder trail through my 10. He is cutting an 80 around me, that is more mature than my 10,But he only needs my access for a couple of tens past mine My 10 is regrowth from a pine stand that was cut during a wind shear around 98' and mine is regrowth and its not that grown up that much yet.

The guys said that he has a real small skidder and said that will drag tops across the path or use the skidder blade to clean up the trail. I have met the guy, he sold me some wood when I first bought my house like 5yrs ago seems like a typical (good guy)

But I have seen what skidder can do when its wet and a huge load, making trenches that could swallow a truck.
I asked him what its worth and he said it might be worth a 100.00 bucks.

No, I would not grant access the whole thing reeks of a "fly by night" operation. Serious people make serious offers, IN WRITING.

I had a phone call from a woodcutter that wants permission to make a skidder trail through my 10. He is cutting an 80 around me, that is more mature than my 10,But he only needs my access for a couple of tens past mine My 10 is regrowth from a pine stand that was cut during a wind shear around 98' and mine is regrowth and its not that grown up that much yet.

The guys said that he has a real small skidder and said that will drag tops across the path or use the skidder blade to clean up the trail. I have met the guy, he sold me some wood when I first bought my house like 5yrs ago seems like a typical (good guy)

But I have seen what skidder can do when its wet and a huge load, making trenches that could swallow a truck.

i

I assume you carry some kind of liability insurance on your property in case an accident occurs. What does your insurance carrier have to say about this type of arrangement?

Just one observation....

i

....the words "small" and "skidder" don't belong in the same sentence.

Bet some of the people in here have "POSTED: NO TRESSPASSING!!" signs every 10' around their property.
I personally would never say no right up front as a matter of course.
I'd walk the part of the lot he has already cut and then decide- if I was as anal as all that.

But I'm not. I'd walk the route he wants to use, designate the rub trees and the trees to be avoided like quality growing timber, then let the guy earn a living.
If the guy was as bad as all that, he wouldn't STILL be cutting. He'd have been shut down already.

In this economy we need every man who is willing to work TO work, and more to the point, to earn a PROFIT so he can then spend the money.

I would have thought a forum full of wood nuts would be far more inclined to help a logger than this. Typical "NOT IN MY BACK YARD" thinking. People want things to happen, for things to change and evolve, just not within 50 miles of where THEY are.

Bugs me.

Latest posts

Back