would you pay full price for a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had the best luck with the 7 saws i bought new. They have payed for them selfs over and over! So spending that kinda money on a saw don't bother me if yr working for a living. Ive had mixed luck with used saws, seems like u always have to do something to them.

A lot like adult diapers, depends!

When I need equipment for commercial use I don't haggle over pricing. Usually, "what can you sell that to me for?" and I am done. Do I get the best deal? Probably, when you consider my time is money and I probably have a crew waiting on the equipment or using something inferior.

If a dealer is smart he takes care of his regulars. He doesn't have to make much on the sale of a saw if he knows he is going to see it after the warranty expires and sell all the chain and oil the saw goes through in it's lifetime.

The guy that chases a deal often spends enough time chasing deals that if you put any value at all on his time you often find that his savings amount to a lot less than minimum wage. If you are deal shopping as a hobby, cool, nothing wrong with that. If you are deal shopping because you are trying to save money you need to consider if you are really saving.

The last half dozen or so new vehicles I was involved in buying I spec'ed out on the internet then called ten or twelve dealers within a hundred miles and got the fleet manager's fax number. Sent out requests for bids and in every case I bought for less than I could buy a several year old vehicle for. A couple hundred above true dealer cost worst case, over four hundred below best case. Yeah, they can sell below dealer invoice, a little kickback called floorplan program which they get on every vehicle even those that never hit the lot! The bigger the dealer the sweeter the deal he gets from the factory so if you want a personal relationship go to a smaller dealer. If price is all that matters go to the big boys. Anyone can request bids and it takes me half a day's time or less to do this. I give the dealer I test drive at a hundred dollar or so cushion as they deserve something for their time and if price at a local dealer is very close to that of one further away they get the nod.

There are a half dozen Stihl dealers near me in the areas I regularly travel too, probably three times that many in areas I have other reasons to go to also. If I go to buy an eight hundred to thousand dollar plus saw I may try the bid game. Since I don't spend a lot of time at any of the dealers it shouldn't work but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Every once in awhile I get a good deal on something used but generally if I am looking for something I need now used deals are nothing special, kinda like saws advertised right now in firewood weather. Yeah, too late to be cutting this year's fire wood however the people that wait till the last minute to cut wood wait till the last minute to buy a saw too and used prices have been silly for months. They are great during hot weather when people should be buying saws.

Things for my own use I might buy used, things I make money with, rarely. Full price is usually cheap for professional equipment.

Hu

I much prefer used saws, cause I work on saws. BUT I want a like new MS461 and I think the only way I'm going to get it is to go to the dealer and pay the PRICE!

That's the only reason I'm selling my hot rod MS361.

I've never paid full retail price or full sale price, there's always a deal to be made. It all depends on how you present yourself. Being in business for myself I know what the price mark ups are for different products, therefore you can barter for a discount or services in return.

I've never paid full retail price or full sale price, there's always a deal to be made. It all depends on how you present yourself. Being in business for myself I know what the price mark ups are for different products, therefore you can barter for a discount or services in return.

. . . but did you save money if you give a genuine discount or services in return? A doctor with a walk-in clinic had an account with me. He handled all my family doctoring, wife and three children. Walk-in clinics are usually cash on the barrelhead but he never let us pay. Every month my wife asked me if I wanted to send the doc a bill. "Hell no, the first one of us to send a bill is gonna be had!"

Hu

or there is always the idea of buying new and using the" good part of the saw" and then selling a few years later. if you keep it looking good the saw will probably only cost you $25 a year to own.

I much prefer used saws, cause I work on saws. BUT I want a like new MS461 and I think the only way I'm going to get it is to go to the dealer and pay the PRICE!

That's the only reason I'm selling my hot rod MS361.

Yeah but you've got some of the best saw shops in the country out there.

or there is always the idea of buying new and using the" good part of the saw" and then selling a few years later. if you keep it looking good the saw will probably only cost you $25 a year to own.

Oh yeah!
The first 100 hours on a saw will be a lot cheaper than the last 100 hours. I've paid full price, gotten discounts, bought used, and probably will do all of them again. When ever I've bought used, there's always something I'm not happy with, then it costs me time and money to fix. It sure is nice to grab a new saw and just go cut!

ive only ever bought one saw new (445 husk) and it was my first saw. around here you only really got three types of people though, homeowners who buy saws and use them once a year, or the few tree guys who would rather throw a saw in the dumpster than sell it to possible competition. we got alot of pulpwooders around here and they all tend to favor either a 455 rancher or a 372xp, but those guys run their saws till there is nothing left and then just buy new ones.

i bought my 044 from a painter whos brother bought it new in katrina. it looks like it got ran over by a truck, but it runs like a champ. paid him 100 bucks and it had a 25" rollmatic on it. most all my other saws have been through trades, my 395 and 372 both came from an old logger who fell and broke his back, rendering him unable to log anymore. i traded him a walther p99 for both saws, they were in excellent shape.

trading is like the easiest way to get anything, be ohnest about your stuff and always trade up and you cant lose.

I've owned 3 saws in my life. A Jonsered 2050 that I bought new and paid full price, a Jonsered 2165 that I got on sale and a Husky 142 that I paid $25 on Craigslist.

I buy new for my primary saws (oldest son has the 2050 now and still runs like a champ). I want to be able to know their history and rely on them when I need to. If I need it I'll pay retail, if it's a want and can wait I'll hold off. I don't mind the craigslist finds for alternate saws, but good buys on those are few and far between around here.

Last edited:
Well let me add something. All my saws are bought practically brand new, but I have never ever paid anything close to retail. I am no pro so I can't do any tax hocus pokus. What I believe is important is to look outside the box and include other brands into your saw plan. If you want the top player you pay top dollar just that simple! Especially here in Austria, we pay more than anyone in Europe!!!
Let me beginn:
stihl 180 -28%,
Makita 5001 (~Dolmar 5100) -34%
Makita 4301 (=Dolmar 420) - 33%
Efco MT 2600 - 50%!
Efco MT 3500 -42%

And the only used saw
a practically brand new demo Solo 644 new version -35%

So I believe that great deals are out there if you are willing to not have one of the major two brands
f.e. the Hitachi CS 40 EM or the Efco 156 can both be had now for >-50%. Both pro saws at a fantastic price but with a stigma of a unknown brand included! Simply put I can buy either a very very used Stihl 260 or a brand new Stihl 181 or a brand new Hitachi CS 40EM or for something stronger a very very used Stihl 034/340, a brand new Stihl 211 or a brand new Efco 156. Any semipro/farmer type cutter would be senseless to walk away from deals like the above if he could overcome his ego and dare to look outside of the box. But then again if we include sense into a group of guys who need min. 2 saws per chord......

Latest posts

Back