Would you trust this man to build you a chain??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YIKES, reminds me of this!!!!!

dog1.jpg

I have heard of guys reusing presets but I never understood how they did it Once you spin a preset then push it out the binding surface would be gone.

In looking at the picture posted in the start ot the thread I now see how they do it. I know see they do not worry about actually spinning the rivet the just think insertion is good enough.

Well since I have over 1000 presets I do not see risking my life an limb reusing one.

Bill

As ugly and unsafe looking as it is (I'd never do it!) that setup will last for ages. There is not much side load on a chain and the only thing the spun rivet heads do is keep the tiestrap on (which takes the load).
In Australia where presets and tiestraps can cost around 5 bucks from rip-off dealers people reusing presets is quite common. I know heaps of guys that do it and have been doing it safely for years (I import new ones from a US parts dealer via Stens for less than a buck each).
I've always had a good supply of new ones but have certainly considered it.
I'd just hope it didn't look as nasty as your photos!

There will be a follow up to my original post--1) New pictures which will make me and everyone else who sees them feel warm and fuzzy. 2) How much breaker pressure it takes to remove the bas***d child.

Something I forgot to mention in my original post-- I actually dremmeled off most of the rivet head before pushing it out of the preset. Again, pushing the envelope a little to see what I could actually get away with. I found that grinding the rivet head off makes for a very easy break with no distortion to the tie strap, cutters, etc. Lot's to learn. OK, so this experiment didn't make into the science fair. Back to the laboratory.

Last edited:
Hey, trust me, I know it's a spooky setup. Like I said in my original post, I will probably never do this again because I now have the proper preset. I just wanted to see if I could make a once used preset work. It works. I don't usually wear a face shield here at the house, with this chain I'm wearing one. I've always been a bit of an envelope pusher. My other favorite hobby is rapelling through slot canyons in Zion Ntl. Park. Seen some serious timber in that back country.

Hmmm.. I have been improvising solutions for a long time, but I would not use that chain. The consequences of failure are too dire. A flying chain coud end up making it difficult to pick a guitar, rock climb, type posts on AS, rappell, button your own pants........have you ever tried to tie a shoe with one hand! I learned how in '84 with a broken wrist........ Nerve damage is pretty high on the risk list, IMO.

Cool that you got the chain back together, now you can use it as Exhibit A on why we use new presets.........

1) have fun be safe cut wood....
2) repeat step 1

That is really small chain as well. Kinda of like the difference between reparing a watch band and a chain link for dexterity reasons.

I'll probably get slammed for this but I have reused pre set for years. I got a good bench mounted chain breaker at home [don't even have a spinner] and a anvil and punch in my truck toolbox. When you re-use a preset sometimes you bend the rivet if you don't punch it dead center. There is not alot of material left but enough to peen with the hammer to hold the tie strap on. Sometimes I have to take the smallest socket from my toolbox to tap the side strap on a slightly bent rivet . But for over 30 years never had a problem. Even join 3/8 chain on my YZ hotsaw this way. Work is down on top of the heavy skidder blade or my steel covered bench.

To prove my point ,chain modders for competition usally grind most of the rivet head off, that's for the high powered hotsaws too. All the strength in a chain is at the drive link /rivet flange, and the side link /rivet hub. Not alot of lateral pressure on the head of the rivet flange. Now I don't recommend doing this reusing the cutters presets.

Last edited:
Okay, I can't help it... I've had some chains jump the bar before but never break. I'm sittin here tryin to figure out the worst case scenario if it does.

If it's in the wood it's not going anywhere. If your revving it I guess it could end up against a body part below the saw. Doubt it penetrates the chaps though. You guys do wear chaps don't ya?

I think there's more risk from oiler holes and bar grooves plugging up and throwing chains and not wearing protection. Or getting crushed...

Have a safe day, woo

Okay, I can't help it... I've had some chains jump the bar before but never break. I'm sittin here tryin to figure out the worst case scenario if it does.

If it's in the wood it's not going anywhere. If your revving it I guess it could end up against a body part below the saw. Doubt it penetrates the chaps though. You guys do wear chaps don't ya?

I think there's more risk from oiler holes and bar grooves plugging up and throwing chains and not wearing protection. Or getting crushed...

Have a safe day, woo

Hey Woo--- Check out the following:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=85917

I'm not a proponent of chinsey workmanship, just got to wondering what if the chain did break? Also, that there are a ton of risks in cutting down and then up trees. And overall maintenance such as a clean bar and sharp chain are just as important as obvious things like ugly but probably marginally functional preset installation.

Make sense? As I've aged I wear my hardhat and chaps more than ever. I'm more worried about stuff falling on me more than flyin off the saw.

Last edited:
Forgot to ask Flatpikr... how do like that Dolmar 5100s? Been thinking about trying one. Any comments appreciated. woo

Back