XP or Not ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drptrch

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Morning, is this one or the other or the same ?
5a9e664b336d650feebfc0de5b536d9f.jpg

And differences between the two of different

Thx, Erik

Guess i forgot about the SEs. Basically the same thing but earlier, never seen an SE saw with a black tag, though its sure possible there were some. I have seen 262s 272s and i think 281/288s without the xp on the tag, and there were no SE versions of those saws, so thats not necesarily the only factor. Saw is a 1989 by the serial #, and certainly possible the starter was changed, but I think all 254s had that same style starter. @SawTroll must be the final arbiter of truth!

One of sawtrolls posts in this thread sums it up pretty well

Sorry to highjack the thread like this, but thought this may be relevant... So there are several version of this was - 254 , 254SE and 254XP . How are they different from one another? I'd assume that the XP is somehow better? But by how much exactly, or is is just a new marketing name/strategy for basically the same saw?

Thanks!
I believe the 254 just became the 254xp when they started using the "xp" designation to disinguish the best pro saws from the others - just marketing.

Btw, I suspect there never was a "SE" variant, all I have seen have either been 254/254G or 254xp/xpg......

As with most other models made for a long time, they evolved trough production, but that has little to do with xp/non-xp.

Similar stories happened to several Husky models in the late 1980s-early 1990s.

Though later in the thread someone shows a pic of an apparent 254 se, (pics were posted before a major hack of AS so the pics are now gone) but that was well before your saw was made.

The XPs had a pull cord like the 262 with air injection and the SE have the square spot in the cover more like the 154 or 266

So after all the looking ive done just now, it looks like you have "plain" 254, though from the reading out there theres no difference in anything on these saws except in the xp designation which they started using partway through the production run. But one thing it looks like for sure is that the se's had it on the tag, of which there were black tagged ones. Confused?? Haha

09b24bce0bb36bef6b5b3654ee37c418.jpg
80bef02392aa301304cd18dca30e3498.jpg
485ec27368370c372599a14679f24890.jpg
aba4c4f9419a30dc85071d33f1463ecf.jpg

That it is [emoji106]
Received in this condition, can't take credit [emoji847][emoji847]

A 1989 one shouldn't say xp on the top cover, so that cover (or just the label) isn't original to the saw.

Not that it mattered much, the development of the model was connected more to the time-line than to the designation anyway - and later is better in this case.

Husky saws that said SE/SG (or even CD) on the tag and elsewhere said xp/xpg happened on several models from 1986 to the early 1990s (not on the same model all that time of course, just a short transition period for each model).

The top cover has been changed only the XPs had a blue strip across the cover. The older ones had a white stripe and the XPs had a grey handle, trigger, and gas/oil caps

The XPs had a pull cord like the 262 with air injection and the SE have the square spot in the cover more like the 154 or 266

The xp designation actually appeared before those changes, and a few more - which of course is confusing the story.

This was "normal" though, as in no case I know of (I would know if there were any) did a designation change from SE or CD to XP correspond with any major design change of the model in question - it just didn't happen that way.

Latest posts

Back