Yay! It's Here!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm back! :) Was out in the barn working on cleaning a few more parts up, like the clutch, drum, and rim drive. .404 pitch rim drive, so donated chains need to be that pitch. :D :poke:

Okay, next thing I was working on was the tank/carb assembly thing. Since the tank assembly actually is a PM800 part, the blue choke and green oil buttons needed to be switched with the black ones on the PM850 assembly. (850 tank is corroded through the bottom, hence all of this work) Here is a pic...

As for the progress of this project, I estimate it to be at about 40% complete. Pic for you to guess the progress by...

Check this to see what came out of the original tank: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/133785.htm#post2230742

By the way, I don't have a 63 gauge bar to give you upon completion of your challenge (I don't believe you can get a .050 .404). All I have are 3/8 .050 sprocket bars and .050 hardnose bars. I may have a 3/8 rim I can swap with you when we swap the recoil spring covers; just let me know. Ron

I use Permatex Ultra Copper for everything, I'm not saying any of the other recommendations are not good (they all will work), just giving you one more option. It seems like it's easier to find than some of the others.

I was looking at your porting pics, did you raise and lower the exhaust?

No, not that I can tell... I just ground down all the casting flash I could find. I will say when I slapped the cylinder on, and looked at the original port size, the sides are about 1mm wider, and the top and bottom are maybe .4-.5mm bigger than the original port. That was with the removal of the casting flash. I'd imagine actual raising or lowering of ports requires the cylinder plating to be removed to "move" the port. I did not grind into the plating in either of the ports. Will post pic soon of the new port with the piston in it.

Here is the comparison... I also remember my sharpie wasn't so sharp, so the outside of the lines +.2mm give or take 2 is about where the original port was.

171151d1296944009-port-comparison-jpg

Check this to see what came out of the original tank: http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/133785.htm#post2230742

By the way, I don't have a 63 gauge bar to give you upon completion of your challenge (I don't believe you can get a .050 .404). All I have are 3/8 .050 sprocket bars and .050 hardnose bars. I may have a 3/8 rim I can swap with you when we swap the recoil spring covers; just let me know. Ron

Wow, those are some big chunks. :eek:

As for the bar, rim swap sounds good to me. Just for kicks, I will look into some .404 and see what there is, and if I find something, I'll let you know. :cheers:

Edit: looked, and you're right, no .050 gauge .404 chain... so we're going to have to do the rim swap.

Last edited:
Wow, those are some big chunks. :eek:

As for the bar, rim swap sounds good to me. Just for kicks, I will look into some .404 and see what there is, and if I find something, I'll let you know. :cheers:

Edit: looked, and you're right, no .050 gauge .404 chain... so we're going to have to do the rim swap.

I'll try to remember to box it up for you and mail it with the cover next week. Ron

UPDATE (what's going to happen next week): I will not be working much, if at all on the saw. I've got a priority over that, it is the fabrication of tow behind sleds to haul wood to the skid at the back of garage. We've got about a week's worth of wood on the deck rack, and NONE on the skid. :eek: So, I will be busy welding and grinding metal to make these sleds. There might be a thread in the firewood forum on it, depending on how much time I have to fiddle around with the camera. Definitely will be some pics of them in use, though.

Sorry to have to delay the excitement of a 850 running again. But I've got to make sure we don't have to walk armfuls of wood through a foot and a half of snow. I'd rather put the snowmobiles to work, so that's what I'm going to make the sleds for. Again, sorry. Wish I could spend all of next week finishing the saw, but it'll have to wait.

Blob is me, hand is the firewood priority.
:blob5:

Your doing good! You've gotten into the saws, a lot farther than I ever have! Keep up the good work!:yourock::blob2::rock::msp_thumbup::msp_thumbsup:

Hey 610, doesn't your mac 610 run 3/8 chain? If you stay with 3/8 for the 850 you can have a long bar/short bar combi that would work on either saw.:cheers:

Hey 610, doesn't your mac 610 run 3/8 chain? If you stay with 3/8 for the 850 you can have a long bar/short bar combi that would work on either saw.:cheers:

Yep, the 610 runs 3/8" chain. I was thinking the same thing too. I'm going for it! :cheers:

A thinking man right there ^^^^^

Yep. :) Good to see there are other people in this world that think. :)

rant on...
Geez, I couldn't merge into the right lane to get to Autozone yesterday! No one was thinking of being nice and letting me in. :( So I had to pass Az, then get in the left turn lane and turn around in the parking lot, turn right out of it, then go down the road til I got to the intersection, get in the left turn lane, and wait for the light to turn green so I could make the turn onto the road leading to Az. :angry:

rant off... soapbox and related material returned to cupboard.

Well, something arrived in the mail today, so I did a prerequisite listen for ticking noises check, and proceeded to bring the package into the house. j/k :D

Anyway, the part is the front handle bar that I needed for a more complete and slightly cleaner saw. Heinmann did a great of taping the box up, yellow tape in one direction, and black tape in the other. Looks excellent! :cheers: As for that tape, it's strong stuff, Heinmann, where do I get some of that tape? Homer Depot, Loweds, or Manerds? Seriously, I got to buy some.

As for the welding project I'm working on, I used up a two pound spool of .030 flux core wire, and had to switch up to .035.

Proceeded in welding when I smelled something other than hot metal and flux. :confused: Guess what, it was some hot slag burning a hole through my jeans. Nothing like having your pants catch on fire to add a little excitement to your day. :bulgy-eyes: I went ahead and smacked the piss out of the burning spot to put it out.

Now I have a little ventilation hole next my left knee. Yay, cold knee while walking the dog. How fun. :bulgy-eyes: At least I didn't trip over an invisible rock like RandyMac did. :D

Still have more welding and fabrication work to do, and also have to replace the speedo cable on my brother's CRX. It broke today. :bang: Silly brother didn't feel comfortable driving around without the speedometer and odometer, so he took the truck. So, another project. Geez, does it ever end? I didn't think so.

Just thought I'd keep ya'll in the loop on wtf is going on here in Michigan, also known as Yooperland and/or the Great Lakes State.

Thanks again for the handle, Mark! :cheers: Will post pics of it when I put it on the lower base piece. As for the old one, I will not be throwing it away, if anyone was wondering. I will have one of the welding instructors TIG weld it back together, or if I can TIG weld aluminum well, I'll do it myself, haven't finished the assignments on steel yet though, so it'd be a while before I suspect I'll be good enough to weld it. From there, after it's fixed, it will wait for use on a saw, either mine, or donated to another person who needs one.

Last edited:
Back