Yet ANOTHER "which top-handled" saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put there name on a particular saw. Tell em this is your saw to look after. Let them know you will BUY the saw off them in a year or for how long you think the saw should go unbroken and 100% usable. Any repairs come off the saws value. Its a cash bonus for them not busting the saw.

Or hand them the saw with there name on it and say its there saw after 2 years. Now if they do no breakage in 2 years they get the saw for free (or put it on ebay and give them the cash). If the have broken it they have to buy it for the cost of replacement parts or buy it without the replacement parts on the say (keep em for spares)

Get a punishment saw, maybe a wildthing (good idea dingeryote). Paint it pink. Make it the saw a guy uses for a week if he breaks a saw. after a week he will want to avoid the wildthing nomatter what.

If you give, or offer ownership of a saw to a guy, you're gonna get his thinker tickin. These guys getting hourly are lookin at you and the boatloads of money you make. All they're thinking is, If I only had a saw, I could do most of what he does and bring home ALL the bacon.

Bottom line, there is the chance you could be cultivating and encouraging your competition. Nobody wants to be a groundguy as a long-term career. Put his own saw into his hands, he'll likely be thinking of upgrading his career

If you give, or offer ownership of a saw to a guy, you're gonna get his thinker tickin. These guys getting hourly are lookin at you and the boatloads of money you make. All they're thinking is, If I only had a saw, I could do most of what he does and bring home ALL the bacon.

Bottom line, there is the chance you could be cultivating and encouraging your competition. Nobody wants to be a groundguy as a long-term career. Put his own saw into his hands, he'll likely be thinking of upgrading his career

My thoughts exactly. Although you could give them one with some conditions/strings attached (guarantee a certain number of years with you or they forfeit saw - or something like that - would also want to say if they are terminated for poor performance, or other reasonable cause they also forfeit saw .. but that would be up to you) Just my 2 cents.

It has been 10 years or better since I have worked for for someone else but when I did work for other services it was customary for the climber to supply his own climbing gear but the company supplied the saw. I had my own saws but used what the company supplied. Especially since they were supplying a better saw than what I had (020). I never tore one up working for someone else but I have torn one of my own up.

When I first started out I inherited a set of climbing gear from the guy who taught me. He "sold" the gear to me but let me pay it off over time. He didn't charge me much for it. He always told me that if I wanted to go out on my own I could do so with his blessing and he would wish me all the best. I try to do the same for any climber that has worked for me. I worked with this guy for years. I ended up contract climbing for him with my own crew. I also ended up doing the big stuff for him when he got older. I had surpassed my teacher.

A company I worked for, supplied the equipment, all new I might add, but any repaires deamed abuse or neglect were charged back to us, anything nomal wear parts like bars and chain obviously the company payed for but broken saws do to droping etc were payed for by the worker. They had junk for back up equip. and if your saw was out of commission and no back up available then you get the day off till your saw is running or a backup is available. Sounds a little extreme but it worked very well.

You make me supply a saw, you pay rent on that saw. ~$20-30/day

Give me a POS saw as a 'punishment' replacement, watch my productivity drop accordingly -> your costs go up.

Suspend me - you're still making machine/truck payments with no revenue coming in.

Repairs are a part of doing business and tax deductible. If there is a pattern of equipment abuse, then maybe you don't want that operator.

:monkey:

Give me a POS saw as a 'punishment' replacement, watch my productivity drop accordingly -> your costs go up.

Suspend me - you're still making machine/truck payments with no revenue coming in.

Repairs are a part of doing business and tax deductible. If there is a pattern of equipment abuse, then maybe you don't want that operator.

So, take care of your stuff!
Jeff

Corona makes a saw that can take being thrown around and you don't have to worry about replacing the gas tank.
It sure is sad though. On one side you might have people abusing the equipment and on the other the equipment was abused before they got hold of it.

I got tired of the whole thing and now just use my own, its a whole lot easier for everbody.

Last edited:
Put there name on a particular saw. Tell em this is your saw to look after. Let them know you will BUY the saw off them in a year or for how long you think the saw should go unbroken and 100% usable. Any repairs come off the saws value. Its a cash bonus for them not busting the saw.

Or hand them the saw with there name on it and say its there saw after 2 years. Now if they do no breakage in 2 years they get the saw for free (or put it on ebay and give them the cash). If the have broken it they have to buy it for the cost of replacement parts or buy it without the replacement parts on the say (keep em for spares)

Get a punishment saw, maybe a wildthing (good idea dingeryote). Paint it pink. Make it the saw a guy uses for a week if he breaks a saw. after a week he will want to avoid the wildthing nomatter what.

I think the last idea will work and should be employyed for real. But i have to say I have seen so many guys give their guys saws that were not operating properly and I know that can make a guy mad. Like the shut off wire on the 20. They break a lot and you have to choke the saw to shut it off. That's kinda dangerous in itself but go ahead and try to start in again. The saw never gets fixed by the employer but the poor climber is stuck with it. Of course he is going to want to chuck it out the tree.
But also I don't see why a climber can't do some work to the saw himself even if its not his. I mean it is not that hard to fix the cut off wire.
I have to say it is pretty entertaining to watch a guy go nuts a poorly operating saw though.

I don't disagree at all with what you have said. I only am somewhat confused with why somebody would give equipment to an employee as an incentive to keep it in good repair.

There are many professsions out there that you have to supply your own tools, this is not a new concept.
POS saw or not it makes that guy that keeps breaking his saw appreciate his equipment more, and there is a difference between a POS and an unsafe saw.

Not a suspension, if you don't have a saw for a guy to use to perform his duties because he broke his and are waiting for parts etc, what is he supposed to do stand around and get paid for it, now you just gave him a days wages with zero money coming in to show for it and you still have to make your payments.
Repairs might be write offs but delays/down time to make repairs is bad business, customers don't want to hear excuses about this and that, they want the work done and all this equipment and people and noise to be done and gone.

We used to get 50.00 every 3 months for saw maint. If you didn't bring a saw to work you used a hand saw. Hope you're only pruning. Or you could carry a 24" around with you. One of us climbers usually had a spare if we had a saw down. Boss never gave us a top handle to climb with.

LT...

Real old school:chainsawguy:

There are many professsions out there that you have to supply your own tools, this is not a new concept.

Most of those tools are non wear items. A wrench is a wrench, and a screw driver is a screw driver, and doesn't wear out with each use. A saw wears out over time and requires maintenance and upkeep.

Most of those tools are non wear items. A wrench is a wrench, and a screw driver is a screw driver, and doesn't wear out with each use. A saw wears out over time and requires maintenance and upkeep.

You would think, but no a wrench is not a wrench by any stretch and thank God I don't have to pay Snap-on anymore.

You would think, but no a wrench is not a wrench by any stretch and thank God I don't have to pay Snap-on anymore.

So your saying you wear wrenches out with each and every use?? I've got wrenchs that are 60 years old and still good as new. And most good tools have lifetime warranty's, not true with saws.

Good guys dont trash gear, and if they do then they should try having the POS gear to realise what they could be the next replacable item on my list.

Sometimes you have to loose a bit of production with a crew member for them to learn a new skill or learn a lesson that will be paid back later in less breakages and down time.
Every now and then I break out an old POS to cut some wood at home myself, sometimes even the old two man misery whip. Its a VERY quick way to appreciate how good my pro saws are. We even do a bit of limbing with axes on occation, its just a skill and equipment appreciation thing. We dismantled 2 sycamores as part of a bigger job, only powerpole height, with harness, flipline and felling axe. Sure it took 3 times as long but it was fun and again brings about more appreciation for the MS200.

If I tell a guy to go home it hurts me a little in the pocket, but it sucks to be let down by guys you put so much effort into keeping safe, well equiped and doing the right thing. All my stuff is free hold and jobs will wait another day. Better to get your tomorrows right than slog through all your todays.

I have an echo 360T with a muffler mod and its run along side my 200T's and it holds its own. With the muffler opened up it cuts close to the same speed, and has good power in the cut. I have gallons upon gallons of fuel threw it and no issues at all. The plastic looks a little cheap, but it has held up to a few drops and kicks, and has been bounced around climbing and nothing broke. I love it because I paid around 200 for it new, so i can buy 3 of them for the price of another 200T.

Good guys dont trash gear, and if they do then they should try having the POS gear to realise what they could be the next replacable item on my list.

Sometimes you have to loose a bit of production with a crew member for them to learn a new skill or learn a lesson that will be paid back later in less breakages and down time.
Every now and then I break out an old POS to cut some wood at home myself, sometimes even the old two man misery whip. Its a VERY quick way to appreciate how good my pro saws are. We even do a bit of limbing with axes on occation, its just a skill and equipment appreciation thing. We dismantled 2 sycamores as part of a bigger job, only powerpole height, with harness, flipline and felling axe. Sure it took 3 times as long but it was fun and again brings about more appreciation for the MS200.

If I tell a guy to go home it hurts me a little in the pocket, but it sucks to be let down by guys you put so much effort into keeping safe, well equiped and doing the right thing. All my stuff is free hold and jobs will wait another day. Better to get your tomorrows right than slog through all your todays.

+1 :agree2:

I have an echo 360T with a muffler mod and its run along side my 200T's and it holds its own. With the muffler opened up it cuts close to the same speed, and has good power in the cut. I have gallons upon gallons of fuel threw it and no issues at all. The plastic looks a little cheap, but it has held up to a few drops and kicks, and has been bounced around climbing and nothing broke. I love it because I paid around 200 for it new, so i can buy 3 of them for the price of another 200T.

out of curiosity I googled that echo. I cant seem to find any HP rating... any idea what that thing puts out? I L-O-V-E my 200T, but for 200 bucks, sounds like this little echo might make a good backup, plus I got a guy on my crew (for power transmission lines, not tree work...) that wants to learn to climb, so I might refer him to the echo, if it puts out like you say.

Back