You burning yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally, I dont start burning steady until around mid Dec. Will keep a fire until March. Before or after those months, we get cold snaps and then it heats up during the day. My house sets on top of a mountain and gets full sun so daytime heating isnt needed much unless its below freezing outside, raining or snowing. Long range weather is calling for more snow than normal this winter so we see how it goes. Dry wood in the shed so I am ready for what ever.

I had 40 degrees one morning last week. I keep my boiler running about all year for my domestic hot water though. I'll turn the forced air heat on before too long, but I wait till it's cold all day before turning the basement radiant floor on.

Not yet but with it getting into the 40s at night already and a few maples around town starting to turn color it won't be long. Still nice and in the 70s during the day.

Had a fire a couple weeks ago and of and on the last 3 days. Just to take the edge off.

And to make damn sure the furnace doesn't kick on!

This morning. Final stove and pipe burn off while the windows are open. It's about 60 outside.
8b0db99f9eb0e257e54a18e3e2b171d6.jpg

sent from a field

AC is going on shortly. It's humid today and the house is 78 inside.

The stove will stay asleep for another month or so, this has been one long ass HOT Summer here in PA., it started early and is staying late, we only had 2 or 3 breaks from it this year, and they want mid to upper 80's mid week on, just strange..It's been so hot some of the cats lay on the sofa in the woodstove room and I swear they think the stove is on lol!

But who knows, the weather could turn on a dime and become very cool very quick.....

no fire yet this year for us!

It is 80deg here today, and with the solar panels turned on the pool is up to 88deg! Kids will be swimming in the pool when the get out of school!!

I havent seen the first tree change colors yet here but we have had some nights in the low 50's. Can I burn in the stove/fireplace when its that warm without having goofy draft issues?

It's been hot here. About 90 yesterday and supposed to be the same today. It's been cooling off nice at night though. It's been in the mid 50s. Makes for nice evenings and mornings....If the mosquitoes don't carry you a away. It's been so wet we have more mosquitoes than I ever remember having. Last night I checked a spot in the woods that is swamp. There are about 10 dead ash trees I want to cut. Normally this time of year it would be dry, but nope, not this year. Looks like I'll be waiting on them til it freezes solid. Normally I fire up the owb around October 15th. We'll see this year. Sometimes its in the 90s in October here. Just depends.

There's only 2-3 weeks up here when a fire in the stove isnt required, as its my only source of heat. Plus, the heat is needed to keep the homemade wine bubbling.
I haven't counted, but I think I burn 10-12 cords to keep 250 sq.ft warm for a year. Mostly black spruce with some poplar and willow thrown in.

Oklahoma fooled us again. It's been in mid 90's with heat index over a hundred. Could be kinda chilly in a week or two, love our crazy weather it gives us something to talk about!

Back