You just got to love the MS361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO muffler mods that dump out the front suck. I dislike catching the log on fire, hot hands and breathing exhaust so I always mod them so they dump out to the right side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hoffman did this one for me. Dozer Dud supplied the pipe,lol.
attachment.php

And if both where the same price I would take a 372 over a 361 or any 60cc saw for that matter. IMO 60cc saws are a bastard size that I really dont have a use for. Not light and nimble like a 50cc saw and they dont have the balls of a 70cc saw.

IMO muffler mods that dump out the front suck. I dislike catching the log on fire, hot hands and breathing exhaust so I always mod them so they dump out to the right side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hoffman did this one for me. Dozer Dud supplied the pipe,lol.
attachment.php

Nice mods. I always thought out the side is the way to go too though mods aren't really my thing. Makes sense to at least try and keep the heat off the log and the fumes from blowing back in your face. Nice muffler work in those pics!!!

One other thing to consider is that a muffler that dumps out the front bounces sound waves off the log back towards the operator. With certain saws this drives me nuts when only wearing ear plugs. With muffs it doesnt seem to be a issue,.

Last edited:
And if both where the same price I would take a 372 over a 361 or any 60cc saw for that matter. IMO 60cc saws are a bastard size that I really dont have a use for. Not light and nimble like a 50cc saw and they dont have the balls of a 70cc saw.

Ben the 60cc size is the best all purpose size out there. Not too large and heavy to limb and trim with like a 372 and big enough to take down a 20-24inch tree as well, something most operators using 50cc saws with short bars have a tuff time doing. A man wanting just "one" saw for all around use will grab the 60cc saw with a 20 inch bar in a heartbeat over a 50 or 70cc saw, I know that for a fact. The 361 is the best selling saw on our rack for reasons I just outlined to you. Its not the bastard size, its muti purpose size for people wanting just one saw and trust me alot of people only want just one saw for all around use.

Yep... we sell 10-15 361's for every 440/441...

Same here only worse, more like 20 361's to every 441 or 460. Most buyers are tight as bark on a tree to begin with so they like the idea of a saw that is capable of doing several different jobs. True the 50cc small saw is better at trimming and the 70cc is better at blocking but the 60cc performs well enough and is lite enough to do both jobs for one money.

:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :hmm3grin2orange:

Andy Shine all kidding aside,,, that synthetic oil IS the best thing for two Smokers since sliced bread!!!!! you are right but not for me the straight out the front of the muffler relief porting is not good especailly when we have DRY SEASON !!!! many of our clean up jobs are old downed wood and high grass weeds etc,. just looking for a fire,,, I suppose if you are just into cutting cookies they are ok but try cutting up a 2 year downed yellow pine thats extra Rich,,,, and your muffler would cause a fire!!!!!!! no bashing intended,,, it does look like Darth Vader especailly after my second or third HefeWeizen LOL!!!!!!

I see you're from Texas, so I will guess you're drinking Shiner HefeWeizen.:love1:

Yup running the ports out the front is not the optimal setup, however running big dogs and synthetic oil helps quite a bit.

Last edited:
Ben the 60cc size is the best all purpose size out there. Not too large and heavy to limb and trim with like a 372 and big enough to take down a 20-24inch tree as well, something most operators using 50cc saws with short bars have a tuff time doing. A man wanting just "one" saw for all around use will grab the 60cc saw with a 20 inch bar in a heartbeat over a 50 or 70cc saw, I know that for a fact. The 361 is the best selling saw on our rack for reasons I just outlined to you. Its not the bastard size, its muti purpose size for people wanting just one saw and trust me alot of people only want just one saw for all around use.

It sure is the ideal size here, but it will of course depend and what you are cutting - I normally use it for felling, bucking and limbing, when cutting mature birches - no real need to bring another saw, except as a spare......:rockn: :rockn:

What does a used 372 go for? I recently sold a 8 yr old MS360 for 350.00. Would a 8 yr old 372 bring that?

I sold the 15 month old MS361 for $20 more then the 8 year old 360 you sold above and used the money to buy a 375xp for the same money (before woods porting). :clap:
I just dont understand how the the two saws could be priced the same new and used.

If you are trying to say that stihl hold their value better, I would have to agree on that.

I just had to have a 372/375 in the holster with fresh bullets, in case Ole Haywood's 375 takes down my 7900 at the next gtg. :cheers:

Plus I have turned into a power junkie and my stihl dealer actually called me a chainsaw lunatic the other day when I was ordering some more 460 rescue handles and other stuff. But he said it with a big smile on is face. :bowdown:

Plus I have turned into a power junkie and my stihl dealer actually called me a chainsaw lunatic the other day when I was ordering some more 460 rescue handles and other stuff. But he said it with a big smile on is face. :bowdown:

Figured you had that one coming :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Same here only worse, more like 20 361's to every 441 or 460. Most buyers are tight as bark on a tree to begin with so they like the idea of a saw that is capable of doing several different jobs. True the 50cc small saw is better at trimming and the 70cc is better at blocking but the 60cc performs well enough and is lite enough to do both jobs for one money.

Shoot, I thought I'd gotten myself a pro saw and now you folks tell me it's a typical homeowner saw :cry: :cry:

I definately want a 441 now :rolleyes:

He bought me a beer at the last meeting, that Peter Burton man is ok in my book. You tell him I wanna have a sit down meeting in his office to discuss MY plans for keeping Stihl at the top, not that his work hasn't paid off pretty good. With my input we shall reach heights unheard of in the saw world, tell him I said so,LOL

Now you got us real curious, Tom ! What strategy you'd in mind ?????:popcorn: :popcorn: (ps. I am not going to steal it from ya, LOL)

Now you got us real curious, Tom ! What strategy you'd in mind ?????:popcorn: :popcorn: (ps. I am not going to steal it from ya, LOL)

Simple, while the competition continues to be a family of many with little service for any we at Stihl will claim only one name and service for all and drive the message home. Ponder on that Belgian, give me your thoughts...

Simple, while the competition continues to be a family of many with little service for any we at Stihl will claim only one name and service for all and drive the message home. Ponder on that Belgian, give me your thoughts...

Hmmmmm, service for all...... I hope you mean all Stihl's (& Vikings) :)
That's pretty much the situation today already but it would be a nice marketing message for sure.

We'll have to drink a few beers togehter you and me before we decide on launching it...(errr I beer and you folgers that would be) :cheers:

Hmmmmm, service for all...... I hope you mean all Stihl's (& Vikings) :)
That's pretty much the situation today already but it would be a nice marketing message for sure.

We'll have to drink a few beers togehter you and me before we decide on launching it...(errr I beer and you folgers that would be) :cheers:

Awwww you see where I'm coming from, just need to make the message much louder in the market.

The new motto will be "Buy the best and Forget the rest".
OR "Why buy No.2, its not for you",LOLOLOLOL

Awwww you see where I'm coming from, just need to make the message much louder in the market.

The new motto will be "Buy the best and Forget the rest".
OR "Why buy No.2, its not for you",LOLOLOLOL

Or something like this :

- your Stihl service is just a phone call away !
- a good wife lasts a lifetime, expect the same from your saw !
- Stihl comes with cyberservice, Lakeside53 is the name ! (Fish for backup)
- invest in the future, buy Stihl products !

I am on a roll today, I can invent a few more if ya like :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Or something like this :

- your Stihl service is just a phone call away !
- a good wife lasts a lifetime, expect the same from your saw !
- Stihl comes with cyberservice, Lakeside53 is the name ! (Fish for backup)
- invest in the future, buy Stihl products !

I am on a roll today, I can invent a few more if ya like :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Dayumm I gotta get Peter Burton to hire you and Joat both,LOLOL

Latest posts

Back