You know you have CAD when......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
37db4c04bf77fff996def865527d90d9.jpg

Cake anyone,I thought I had it bad.

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Interesting. Here in Oregon we can build what are called 'accessory buildings', and as many as you want. As long as they are set-back 10' from the property line, under 10' tall, under 200 sq ft and 6' apart (unless they have a 2 hour firewall, in which case they can be attached). They can also be attached to the house with a half inch sheetrock on the inside house attached wall, are self-supporting, and if a door opens from the house into it, it has to have a door of equal or greater size to the outdoors. I have 5 accessory buildings on my property, 2 of which have an array of stored saws, blowers, trimmers, mowers, and other stuff. Accessory buildings are required to be built to code, but are not inspected by the county, and do not need a permit.

Not telling the wife about all saw purchases? Diagnosis: Advanced CAD. Building saw sheds: Natural grownup extension of kindergarten playground activity and fantacy. Normal.
Here in small town, illinois....... we literally build whatever we want no regs no hoops no cops, just life

There are some slight fall backs, nearest gas is 8 miles and groceries are 11 miles.

Its still the best way to live....

Nearest gas here is 12 miles, and nearest store is 15 miles. Used to be a rail station, store and town 2 miles from here, but that was over 100 years ago. Its all gone now. All that is left is the old school house. One of hundreds of Oregon ghost towns.

Nearest gas here is 12 miles, and nearest store is 15 miles. Used to be a rail station, store and town 2 miles from here, but that was over 100 years ago. Its all gone now. All that is left is the old school house. One of hundreds of Oregon ghost towns.
We were a mining town back in the day, too had a hotel, theater, grocery story, filling station, railroad and everything. Mine left and all we have is bank, post office, and a bar now. Sign says 250 people. Prolly more like 200 now.

Unfortunately all the old proud folks are going to be with the Lord and either their houses fall in or trash moves in.

We were a mining town back in the day, too had a hotel, theater, grocery story, filling station, railroad and everything. Mine left and all we have is bank, post office, and a bar now. Sign says 250 people. Prolly more like 200 now.
We had 2 churches post office and a co op that had gas, propane, tires and a small hardware store. We lost the Milwaukee railroad in the early 80s and it's all gone now. I'm currently 27 miles from gas, food or a post office.

We do not even have a sign for this town any more. PO here closed decades ago. But it is still listed on most maps.

My "town" doesn't exist either. Still on the map though. Whitesville, GA was a stagecoach stop back before the railroad and when the railroad was built through Pine Mountain, the town of Whitesville completely dried up. Was quite the bustling place back in the 1800s. Nothing remains besides our church that was built in 1836.

Unfortunately all the old proud folks are going to be with the Lord and either their houses fall in or trash moves in.

This town is just south of where Louis and Clark camped on the Columbia River for several weeks in 1805 and again in 1806. They came up the Sandy River exploring within a few miles of here. This area was later traversed via the Barlow Trail which was built in 1846 and runs just south of Mt Hood, due east of here, and down into Oregon City to the west. Oregon City was the end of the Oregon Trail. Wagon traffic was brisk through here for people that did not want to risk running the rapids on the Colombia River. That road carried much of the traffic into the PNW until the early 1910s.

This "town" was established about 1890 or so. It was a boom town from around 1910 through the end early 1930s. Then the depression hit, and that was that. Here most people in those days up and moved their houses. Big houses, small houses, did not matter. All that is left are rows of Black Locust trees that they planted back in the day, and the schoolhouse. They still move houses here, and a huge number of houses were moved from VanPor to south Portland when it flooded out after WWII. The rail lines here were pulled up before or during WWII for the steel. What was left in terms of barns and such are dilapidated and falling apart. Some burn, but most just rot. All that is left now are scattered farms and ranches. There is a 40 acre cow and calf operation across the highway from me. East of them is an 80 acre sheep ranch. East of me on this side is a 20 acre horse pasture in summer. West of me is a 5 acre tree farm, and behind that is a 10 acre pot farm. The greater area surrounding this area is all part of Mt Hood National Forest and spans for many many miles. I have gobs of borrowed landscape here in the land that time forgot. The white trash in the rentals around this area have all been driven out by property value inflation and real estate sales. Money is moving in and the value of my place has skyrocketed. In 2010 when I bought this place, no one wanted real estate, let alone out here. Now? Its all the rage. Boom to bust to boom again. Though there are building restrictions in Oregon now that prevent anyone from developing out here. So I cannot put up a condoplex here. Or subdivide. All you can do is improve the houses that are here, or bulldoze them and rebuild another one. Like for like.

As for CAD, all the landowners here have lots of chainsaws. Log trucks roll through here in an hourly, if not 20 minute basis. Lots of fallers still work out here. No harvesting machines out here yet. Too steep a terrain.

This town is just south of where Louis and Clark camped on the Columbia River for several weeks in 1805 and again in 1806. They came up the Sandy River exploring within a few miles of here. This area was later traversed via the Barlow Trail which was built in 1846 and runs just south of Mt Hood, due east of here, and down into Oregon City to the west. Oregon City was the end of the Oregon Trail. Wagon traffic was brisk through here for people that did not want to risk running the rapids on the Colombia River. That road carried much of the traffic into the PNW until the early 1910s.

This "town" was established about 1890 or so. It was a boom town from around 1910 through the end early 1930s. Then the depression hit, and that was that. Here most people in those days up and moved their houses. Big houses, small houses, did not matter. All that is left are rows of Black Locust trees that they planted back in the day, and the schoolhouse. They still move houses here, and a huge number of houses were moved from VanPor to south Portland when it flooded out after WWII. The rail lines here were pulled up before or during WWII for the steel. What was left in terms of barns and such are dilapidated and falling apart. Some burn, but most just rot. All that is left now are scattered farms and ranches. There is a 40 acre cow and calf operation across the highway from me. East of them is an 80 acre sheep ranch. East of me on this side is a 20 acre horse pasture in summer. West of me is a 5 acre tree farm, and behind that is a 10 acre pot farm. The greater area surrounding this area is all part of Mt Hood National Forest and spans for many many miles. I have gobs of borrowed landscape here in the land that time forgot. The white trash in the rentals around this area have all been driven out by property value inflation and real estate sales. Money is moving in and the value of my place has skyrocketed. In 2010 when I bought this place, no one wanted real estate, let alone out here. Now? Its all the rage. Boom to bust to boom again. Though there are building restrictions in Oregon now that prevent anyone from developing out here. So I cannot put up a condoplex here. Or subdivide. All you can do is improve the houses that are here, or bulldoze them and rebuild another one. Like for like.

As for CAD, all the landowners here have lots of chainsaws. Log trucks roll through here in an hourly, if not 20 minute basis. Lots of fallers still work out here. No harvesting machines out here yet. Too steep a terrain.
My house I live in was built by the founder of the town. It is closing in on 180 years old. It was built to house two families, one down and one upstairs, there's a window upstairs that goes all the way to the floor, it used to be the doorway for family number 2. A few years back we put on a new roof and found that the main frame of the house is hand hewn oak 8x8s with mortise and tenon joints holding it together.

Back