You know you have CAD when......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if that's the case the sounds of a few Germans and swedes are drowned out by about 45 Californians and Louisiana natives. Go AMERICA
I've got a bunch of New Yorkers yelling at me plus lots of swearing in Swede and two little voices keep counting in German...eins, vi, dri....

You get divorced and have a custody battle over your saws.

My ex and I did have a tiff over one saw after I left. I took most of my saws, but I left her the Saw From Hell, an MS210 that I got burned on on Ebay and started a flame thread here on AS about many years ago. The thread was removed by the (now long gone) mods when we were panning to march on the seller's house with torches at midnight. It got that heated. Anyway, I did not care about that saw, and she likes running it. I called it the wood massager. Next to useless (not her, the saw).

But there was the Olympic saw that had blown a coil that I left in the tool shed. I had intended on going back to get it with the last of my stuff, but when I did she said she had given it away. I was not happy about that, but she claimed that I told her that it was dangerous as it did not have a chain brake on it (by design, from the factory -older model saw-). I had told "her" not to run it since it did not have a chain brake, yes. I did not tell her to get rid of it though. I had gotten a coil from a guy on an Aussie arborist forum in the meantime, and I had planned on restoring it to its former glory. It was a good saw. But it was not to be. I lost several other items in that move off the ranch, but that is the only one that I can remember.

I hear mine argue with eachother. Nothing like hearing a few sweds, a Japanese guy, and four Chinese guys yelling at each.

Mine are all German. "Ich bin Ihre motorsagen!" Well, actually they are all US made Stihl saws, except the Arctic 361 and the 660.

I had not thought about the language thing, but I understand my Stihls. Maybe why I sold off the Echos, Huskys, and Jreds?

The day I have slated to do some cutting next week is supposed to be -23. Saw and bar oil will spend the previous night inside.

Ooooh, that is dedication. Frostbite weather. Winter wt. bar oil turns to goo weather. I think that qualifies you for having Chainsaw Use Disorder. CUD, brother of CAD. Otherwise known as having a pathological tendency to use chainsaws. Sufferers of this disorder will use chainsaw at any time in any weather, for any reason, if no other reason than just starting it up. Affliction can be identified with users that run their saws at midnight, keep their saws inside for ready use, and run their saws below -20F just to warm them up. They are compelled to run ~EVERY~ saw at a GTG, are commonly addicted to piss revving, and likely suffer from a decline in hearing. Is highly comorbid with CAD, white finger, and tendonitis.

My Homelite 750 is named Duke. He talks to me in a John Wayne voice. If I start him like a man without decompression he gives me a shot of whiskey and a hard pat on the back. If I do use decomp he calls me "boy" the rest of the day. As for knowing I have CAD, I have been considering a storage unit by my work to be able to hide saws I shouldn't be buying. ;)

My Homelite 750 is named Duke. He talks to me in a John Wayne voice. If I start him like a man without decompression he gives me a shot of whiskey and a hard pat on the back. If I do use decomp he calls me "boy" the rest of the day. As for knowing I have CAD, I have been considering a storage unit by my work to be able to hide saws I shouldn't be buying. ;)
That is a good nickname for a saw of that caliber.

......You have to build a shed 8 x 12 that really wasn't nearly big enough to hold everything that you had at the time in a rental storage facility, but you couldn't build a bigger shed because of local building code offset rules and utilities on the property, as well as having to justify the cost of the shed to your wife with what you will sell some of the repaired equipment for...

This actually worked out well for us, as I was able to build enough shelves to store a push mower, wheelbarrow, all saws and parts, and all other lawn equipment I use for myself.

The size of the shed also controls my turnover of inventory, as in no hoarding of old saws or junk saws that I won't or don't have time to get to. Also, I am more specific on what brands and models of newer saws are worth working on or not in a direct correlation to how easily and how much price a good fixed one will sell for locally.

Although I have gotten quite picky on what I will bring home, I still seem to find a bunch of gems that I just don't always tell my wife about....

Oy, hiding saws from yourself and others so that you do not 'apperar' to have CAD. Diagnosis: very advanced stages of CAD there. As for your Homelite talking to you in a John Wayne voice, well.... they all do that, don't they? In different voices and personae of course. Diagnosis: normal.

......You have to build a shed 8 x 12 that really wasn't nearly big enough to hold everything that you had at the time in a rental storage facility, but you couldn't build a bigger shed because of local building code offset rules and utilities on the property, as well as having to justify the cost of the shed to your wife with what you will sell some of the repaired equipment for...

This actually worked out well for us, as I was able to build enough shelves to store a push mower, wheelbarrow, all saws and parts, and all other lawn equipment I use for myself.

The size of the shed also controls my turnover of inventory, as in no hoarding of old saws or junk saws that I won't or don't have time to get to. Also, I am more specific on what brands and models of newer saws are worth working on or not in a direct correlation to how easily and how much price a good fixed one will sell for locally.

Although I have gotten quite picky on what I will bring home, I still seem to find a bunch of gems that I just don't always tell my wife about....

Interesting. Here in Oregon we can build what are called 'accessory buildings', and as many as you want. As long as they are set-back 10' from the property line, under 10' tall, under 200 sq ft and 6' apart (unless they have a 2 hour firewall, in which case they can be attached). They can also be attached to the house with a half inch sheetrock on the inside house attached wall, are self-supporting, and if a door opens from the house into it, it has to have a door of equal or greater size to the outdoors. I have 5 accessory buildings on my property, 2 of which have an array of stored saws, blowers, trimmers, mowers, and other stuff. Accessory buildings are required to be built to code, but are not inspected by the county, and do not need a permit.

Not telling the wife about all saw purchases? Diagnosis: Advanced CAD. Building saw sheds: Natural grownup extension of kindergarten playground activity and fantacy. Normal.

Latest posts

Back