You know you have CAD when......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
So I assume others do this and it's not a disease unique to me, but when you're traveling and come upon some majestic trees do you size them up to see what saw/bar you would need to fell them, which direction they would need to go (to not hit the castle for instance) and figure out how much log or firewood it would yield? Can't help but do this. A walk through the park is a continuous string of felling assessments. lol.

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
I just passed a fallen tree that had to be 4 to 5' in diameter. And I wished it was in my yard. Lol
Go talk to them. Maybe they need it gone. What I've found is that the firewood guys will cut it up and take the wood...until the diameter gets large and then there's the stem still laying in the yard a month later. When I cut up a big tree, I lay sections of logs under it so it stays off the ground. A Timberjack log lifter isn't gonna do much good on a 36" diameter log.

GeorgiaVol
I would ask, but I'm still just a firewood hack. At least if it was in my yard I could take my time and use, maybe my Homelite 1020 with a 24" bar, or my Husqvarna 365 with a 24" bar, or if I get the 24" bar for my P41 I could try that too. I just don't have any real big trees on my property to try them out on.

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Go talk to them. Maybe they need it gone. What I've found is that the firewood guys will cut it up and take the wood...until the diameter gets large and then there's the stem still laying in the yard a month later. When I cut up a big tree, I lay sections of logs under it so it stays off the ground. A Timberjack log lifter isn't gonna do much good on a 36" diameter log.
I've got more free boards from people who won't buy a big enough saw to cut up "this one xtra-large log":laugh: I've taken a shot of ms-170 on the stump in my avatar w/log end on top. It is in van side window with my phone# . 460 or 661 & the alaskan saves me huge on lumber products :)

SeMoTony

SeMoTony

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
When the large log is left on the ground I have to get out my 4 foot jack & poke the end of my 170 into the end of the log a few inches up so the tongue gets good purchase. Brings one end up to give my alaska a down hill assist, once log is lowered on to cross pieces underneeth. Man if I knew how much I was gonna enjoy this I'd started sooner

fearofpavement

fearofpavement

Trying them all
I would ask, but I'm still just a firewood hack. At least if it was in my yard I could take my time and use, maybe my Homelite 1020 with a 24" bar, or my Husqvarna 365 with a 24" bar, or if I get the 24" bar for my P41 I could try that too. I just don't have any real big trees on my property to try them out on.
Well, here's your chance to try out those bigger saws. If it's close by, maybe talk to the landowner and if they "have a friend" that's gonna cut it up, keep an eye on the situation. As stated, a lot of time people give up when the going gets tough. Then you step in...

Acornhill

Acornhill

enough said
I little load
8ae96884ca8d59668a8009b82b9d1c6e.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
When you see a saw for sale on a national site and immediately scan your brain to determine which of your friends would be closest if you needed them to pick it up.
Guilty as charged. My collection has come from all over this ball of mud, lucky to have enablers from many far off continents.
As for sizing up trees, well I cruize a bit over 3,000 acres at least once a year to see if any trees may need harvesting, do another 5,000 every 4 -5 years, this stand is where I grew up in so I know it very well.