want more chain speed out of my ms 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatheadon1

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
i have a ms 880 with a 47inch bar an 404 chain we use for large trees, here in nj they are few and far between so i have a 25 inch bar 404 id like to put on the saw for cutting stumps, but where can i get the sprokets to make it cut faster. stock is 7 tooth what can i get aftermarket and where can i get it please help me out.

DSC00067.jpg
heres the tree that gave us the reason to buy the saw, and im the fat guy in the pic

you should be able to get them almost anywhere.. Local dealer, ebay, baileys probably has some... I might try to get a 9 pin if you are just going to run a 25" bar... they are a little harder to get. and you might have to add a link but the 8 tooth you will probably be alright with..

Go with 3/8 pitch chain and a 8 pin sprocket on the 25" bar. This will give you a considerable jump in cutting speed. The 880 is also rev limited and the exhaust is pretty choked up, so modding the saw is something I would consider as well. A 9 pin .404 is probably too much for a stock 880. Your dealer should have 3/8 8-pin rims, and 3/8 bars in stock. :cheers:

Stock the 880's are slow pigs IMHO.

Last edited:
Stock the 880's are slow pigs IMHO.[/QUOTE]

that is the truth

Andyshine77 we bought the saw from a small shop we deal with the sell saws mowers and all that good stuff. that being said they had never sold an ms880 in the 12 years they been there so that the bar they sold us, also at the same time we bought the saw we got the 25 inch bar that is 404 chain. so im stuck with it, just means i need to mod the saw. any advice would be helpfull.

hey brother fat guy! you got an 880, i'm more than a little jealous. btw welcome to AS! hope you stick around, what other saws you workin with?

we had a crazy good winter with plowing and trees so the 880 was a gift to say, we had 2 trees lined up the one in the pic and another township tree turned out the town ship tree we could have used a climbing saw as it was rotted all but the outer edges. as far as other saws ms200 026 650 and 2 066. sadly in the crazyness of one of the big storms my boss put my 046 that was my baby threw the chipper with his 3 month old 650, he is yet to replace my beloved 460, but he paid for the 880 so i guess i cant complain all that much. my boss runs huskys for the most part 357xp 2 372xp and a 395xp so i get to use them all< im debating what to replace the missing 046 with.

I personally have no experience with modding 880's, but many here do and they will likely be along at some point to help you out.:clap: With a bit of work the can be made to run. The one reason I have an old 084 is the fact they're not rev limited, so it's pretty easy to port.

You're not stuck with the 25" .404 bar whatsoever, you can get a replacement 3/8 sprocket for it, they only cost something like $20.00 and the rims are like $5.00 :cheers:

Keep in mind that while you gain chain speed with a high speed sprocket such as 8 or 9 teeth, you'll lose out on some torque & you gonna feel it when the bar gets buried deep in the logs.

My dealer warned me when I switched my 660 from stock 7 to a high speed 8 that I was going to lose about 16% torque & the only time he would run high speed sprocket is cutting soft wood like white pine etc.

I didn't listen because I was so gun-ho on that high chain speed, needless to say I went back to that stock 7 real quick after getting bars buried in hard pine & cotton wood a few times.

Just my 2 cents :chainsaw:

Bailey's has 8 pin rims. I have been told that Stihl no longer stocks the 8 pin 404 rim. Oregon also has 8 pin rims. There are also rims up to 16 pin available, but more for racing.

I am actually looking for one or two of the Stihl 8 pin rims.

If you really want more chain speed, send your saw to Mr Snelling and have him work it over. Mine came back turning 13,200 rpm - started at 10,500 stock.

Hal

we had a crazy good winter with plowing and trees so the 880 was a gift to say, we had 2 trees lined up the one in the pic and another township tree turned out the town ship tree we could have used a climbing saw as it was rotted all but the outer edges. as far as other saws ms200 026 650 and 2 066. sadly in the crazyness of one of the big storms my boss put my 046 that was my baby threw the chipper with his 3 month old 650, he is yet to replace my beloved 460, but he paid for the 880 so i guess i cant complain all that much. my boss runs huskys for the most part 357xp 2 372xp and a 395xp so i get to use them all< im debating what to replace the missing 046 with.

quite a collection of Stihl you have! you got all the best ones too. i would replace the 046 with nothing other than an 046. if you get a different saw i think you will regret it.

i don't know how you run 2 saws through a chipper but daayyuuumm!!!

quite a collection of Stihl you have! you got all the best ones too. i would replace the 046 with nothing other than an 046. if you get a different saw i think you will regret it.

i don't know how you run 2 saws through a chipper but daayyuuumm!!!

It was a long week of storm trees on houses at that point we were cutting the stuff off and going back to clean up days later. We also hold the contract with the town we live in. The story goes we got a call while cutting a tree off a house from the town for a tree about to fall on a house. My boss and i finish cutting the tree off the house then leave 4 guys to clean up and an meet us at the other job, we get to the town tree rope it to our pick up the guys get there and say the clutch is slipping on the chipper, we send the guys to lunch as we were waiting for the bucket truck to arrive im on the phone with the town, my boss is messing with the chipper clutch does not check to see if the guys left saws in the fold up back chute well he reved her up and cya went the saws
IMG00077-20100315-1929.jpg
is whats left of my baby and we got the piston back from the 650. the chipper bandit 250xp only need new knifes witch we had with us and was good to go. sorry for the boook but dam i miss that saw

man what a shame... thanks for tellin the story though

the old saying goes IF YOUR GONNA BE DUMP YA BETTER BE TUFF :bang: . winter was good to our small company we have been at it 4 years now. We made out $$$ wise in the 1/4 of this year dam near what we did each full previous. We lost a few saws, but knock on wood no one have ever been hurt. and the running around like a chicken with it head cut off is what put me into my 2011 f350. tthe crazyness pays well.

thanks 2 all you guys for helping out the :newbie:

DSC00067.jpg
heres the tree that gave us the reason to buy the saw, and im the fat guy in the pic
Cool pic baldy, but you still got more hair than what I do! lol
I'd loose the hardnose and go to 3/8 pitch with a 36" bar and see if you can get the jungle muffler that Stihl offers, although I don't think it's available in North America.
As already stated, the 088 is a total dog out of the box and they can't even get out of their own way. They just need some work that's all. I'd send it to one of the saw modders here. One step at a time works well too.
Keep the big chips flyin'
John

For the type of work you do it seems an 880 is overkill and heavy.
we use for large trees, here in nj they are few and far between
Now short of sending the saw to me to keep it exercised :) have you thought of milling with it?

With that saw, muff modded, that bar, and a 48" Alaskan Mark III ($230) you could cut slabs up to 42" wide with little additional investment.

Since you cut a lot of town trees you could cut them like a politician cuts red tape, lengthwise. Then sell them back to the town. It's fairly easy to get wood like:

attachment.php

Visit the milling forum http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I'd stay away from the bottom 8' due to metal.

Latest posts

Back