want more chain speed out of my ms 880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the type of work you do it seems an 880 is overkill and heavy.

Now short of sending the saw to me to keep it exercised :) have you thought of milling with it?

With that saw, muff modded, that bar, and a 48" Alaskan Mark III ($230) you could cut slabs up to 42" wide with little additional investment.

Since you cut a lot of town trees you could cut them like a politician cuts red tape, lengthwise. Then sell them back to the town. It's fairly easy to get wood like:

attachment.php

Visit the milling forum http://www.arboristsite.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I'd stay away from the bottom 8' due to metal.

Is that an oak of some sort? Looks great though. Now for the 880 issues. SEND TO BRAD! case closed.

i have a ms 880 with a 47inch bar an 404 chain we use for large trees, here in nj they are few and far between so i have a 25 inch bar 404 id like to put on the saw for cutting stumps, but where can i get the sprokets to make it cut faster. stock is 7 tooth what can i get aftermarket and where can i get it please help me out.

8 pin on a buried 47" bar with a stock 880 is a waste of time.

The easiest way to get a bit more ommph from an 880 is a muffler mod and retune and hope it doesn't go over the rev limiter.
FWIW here's mine but it's set up for milling and definitely not for cutting stumps.

Even with this mod I only use the 8 pin up to about 30" wide cuts of aussie hardwood and then change to 7 pin above that.

tree was a sliver maple as far as i know heres some more pics

as far as the saw the 8 pin would be used with the 25 inch bar only

You guys are looking pretty gay there. Lol. Definitely not lumberjacks! Just wannabe woodticks. Lol For a minute there I though it was Dennis Cahoon , Tommy Fales and Mike Rupley.
John

DSC00062.jpg

Last edited:
You guys are looking pretty gay there. Lol. Definitely not lumberjacks! Just wannabe woodticks. Lol For a minute there I though it was Dennis Cahoon , Tommy Fales and Mike Rupley.
John

Wow you really sound like a :censored: there. Thought you were better than that..

John

DSC00062.jpg

woodticks we may be but that tree went from in the air to in our trucks in under 8 hours from on site to driving away pockets simi full a cash :clap::clap: the homeowner even tiped us 50 bucks each, so yea were all smiles:)

woodticks we may be but that tree went from in the air to in our trucks in under 8 hours from on site to driving away pockets simi full a cash :clap::clap: the homeowner even tiped us 50 bucks each, so yea were all smiles:)

If you have cut as many trees as John, I can understand why he sees other as woodthicks....LOL. You got the job done, so all is good.

The 880 is indeed pretty slow but it is meant for the toughest jobs such as milling and cutting stumps, where speed is sacrificed against torque imo.

The 3/8 + 8 pin conversion is an option. That solid tip is consuming a lot of energy, so my advice is to switch to a roller tip bar, and perform possibly a muffler job if you don't mind the noise.

I'd stay clear from modding your saw...you probably run this saw not enough to justify the cost and the risk of burning up the engine.

Forget the 880 if your looking for chainspeed, grab a 660 instead. The 880 needs a little ($$) carb and ignition work to get the 088 type screaming top end.

Besides, as a work saw and unless you use a light touch: Larger sprockets coupled with long bars are just a recipe for a burned up saw.

To get RPM out of an 880 it takes an adjustable carb and a non-limited ignition module. The carb cost me about $75 and the non-limited ignition module was about $125. Then add in $300 for a porting job and you get a saw that turns 13,200rpm. Stock is 10,500

A long bar and a 8 pin or higher rim would be like driving up a steep hill in top gear - you can make it, but it is going to be some work keeping it going.

Long bar needs a 7 pin

a 24" bar would be a lot of fun with a 8 or 9 pin rim.

Hal

Yep, dealing with the coil and sometimes carb will realy help the 880 out and they do port up well.

8 or 9 pin...

I'd be thinking 12 with a 20 inch bar.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yes it is a work saw.

Back