Dolmar 5105 trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonsered 535

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been messaging saw troll about this and my dolmar 5105 is giving me trouble I noticed she wasn't as fast as she used to be so it tached her and when cold ran perfect at 13500 but when warming starts to run rich and looses rpm I think it's the coil and something about the rev limiter must be shaggin up anyone else having trouble with the 5105 coil it's a 2010 and this is the second coil I have put on her, not 10 tanks of gas, never used in rain, stored in dry place. And not abused.

That thing is PIG rich!
Yep and that with the h screw all the way in with new plug and 5 min on it when she was cold at 1 1/2 out it was at 13500 but as she warmed up it starts to run rich and that was after I tried 5 minutes of tuning her

Yep and that with the h screw all the way in with new plug and 5 min on it when she was cold at 1 1/2 out it was at 13500 but as she warmed up it starts to run rich and that was after I tried 5 minutes of tuning her
Thought it was the metering height but she was perfect after I set it and thought it was the problem had the h screw at 1 1/2 out and was at 13500 perfect but after a couple of minutes it started again and sounds perfect but Rpms start to fall off and running rich

I rebuilt one that does the same thing, a few cuts at 13,400 then it goes down to 10,000. Vac and pressure test comin up when I have time. If that checks out I'll move to the carb, and then the coil.

K let me know, I ordered a coil thinking that when it warms up its breaking down and making the rev limiter drop off what gets me is it sounds perfect but the tach tells the truth and I see it at 9 or less even all over the place but good when it's cold at 13500 or wherever you set the h screw but when hot the h screw has no effect on it

Cleaned the spark arrester thinking she wasn't breathing but wasn't dirty and air filter is clean, when cold runs fine and gets worse as she warms up. if seals were gone on crank she would run lean right. But she starts perfect and sounds good. I even put the old original coil that I replaced back on but that one is completely gone idles and starts fine with it but misses when you open the throttle I hope this is not going to be coil issues at 100 bucks every year dolmar should be recalling them if everyone has a problem and find a fix for them I think or I'm the only unlucky one this is my second coil that I'm after buying

I think I've only changed two coils on Easy Start 5105's. I remember the last one ran ok for a couple seconds and would start acting up. But both of these were to the same customer and was used in a firewood operation.

My guess is you have a faulty coil. Do you have a dealer or did you buy mail order?

5 yrs of selling them and I have replaced 2 coils......oddly enough both coils were on 510/5105.

We have had coil failures on the 5100s (14,500), a few on 460/510's (13,500) and two on easy start 5105's (13,800).

I've also swapped the high rpm coil out of the 5100s and installed the 510/13,500 to make them run stronger.

I b
I think I've only changed two coils on Easy Start 5105's. I remember the last one ran ok for a couple seconds and would start acting up. But both of these were to the same customer and was used in a firewood operation.

My guess is you have a faulty coil. Do you have a dealer or did you buy mail order?
Bought the saw from a dealer about 4 hours away but he is a true echo guy and he ordered her in for me but the coil I ordered today at repair clinic in MI , the first coil I bought also. Saw was 1 1/2 years old 6 months after warranty was valid when the first one gave out and now she is 2 1/2 years old

Excellent site by the way with all you guys helping but 166 can I use one of the other coils other then 181143211 (replaced by 181143212 I ordered today)black one on a 2010 ps-5105 easy start will another color fit and work

Latest posts

Back