Dolmar 5105 trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd stay with the 212 black coil. Haven't tried any other coils on these saws.

With the new 212 part number there has been some sort of update to the coil.
I wAs doing a lot of searching online and had seen the 212 and was hoping it was an update and finally you told me what I wanted to hear I ordered one hopefully it works. She's not my only saw but I did like using her when she was right

When I get the new coil on I will post with my results to hopefully finish the thread so if others have the same problems they will know where to turn to fix thanks everyone

When I get the new coil on I will post with my results to hopefully finish the thread so if others have the same problems they will know where to turn to fix thanks everyone
Got the new coil this morning and it was the problem the new one fixed it. My manual says the max rpm is 14500 I know that is not right what rpm should she be ran at

I wouldn't think 13500 would cause over rich on hardly any saw by itself...but I've only been a dolmar owner for a month. Someone else more knowledgeable than should be along...

Well having tried to lean her out to try and get 13800 doesn't work she will only go to 13500 and that's it. The governor must be at 13500 and when i try to lean her out she starts to loose rpm like the other coil which has me thinking that my old coil is not gone but there is something in it to stop her from leaning out and burning up making her not fire every stroke at tdc and making my plug black, I have to put my old coil back on and richen her up to verify this but I will find out. What does anyone else think about this?

13400/13500 is sticking in my head for the limit. Tune in wood not with a tach on limited coils

13400/13500 is sticking in my head for the limit. Tune in wood not with a tach on limited coils

Is the difference significant enough that you would change out a coil on a 5100s? Or Only if replacement needed anyway?

Me personally...Only if needed. Coils aren't cheap and I'm a tight wad

That's what I am thinking now, but should I use a tach in the wood and if so what should it be at, I did see max power at speed 10,000 and max torque at speed 7000 in my manual.

How does a lower rpm limited coil make the saw run stronger?
Different timing curve.
RPM doesn't = power
The first saw in the vid is my "I have a potty mouth" edition with the 14.5 coil. It now sports a different module with noticeable gains.
Same thing with the 7900 actually.

For those thinking that the 14.5 coil should be faster........

So one of these saws is setup with 15" .325 bar & chain, stock muffler, and 14,500 coil. The other is setup with a 16" 3/8 bar & chain, cat muffler, and a 13,500 coil.

Which of these should be faster?

Wow! That's cool. I didn't know chainsaw coils had curves. Thought they were just a straight up coil so that the different limits wouldn't matter in the cut.
What is the purpose of limiters anyways?

Latest posts

Back