Mono 48 Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the crank case pressed together today on my lunch break. My girlfriend's dad works at a machine shop and he did it for me. I wish that I had a press and a few other tools so that I could do it myself. I will install the piston, rings, head, intake, and handle tonight and post some pics in the morning.

What pitch chain does your 48 have on it? Do you use it regulary? How well does it cut compared to newer saws?

This saw was used because it was something we wanted to play with. VERY SLOW, VERY LOUD, lots of Vibration. Does it compare to new saws.....not a chance. As you can see from the pictures, the chips don't fly they just sort of drop out of the saw. Was fun to play with but if you need to get something done yet today, forget about it. MS180 with a dull chain would have cut that same wood in less than half the time.

Mono 48 Update

Finally was able to take some pics. Here is how far I have gotten as of yesterday.
mono3.jpg

mono4.jpg

mono5.jpg

mono6.jpg

Feel free to comment. This is my first restoration and could use any helpful info that may make my next restoration easier.

Thanks! There are a couple of things that I painted differently from stock. I painted the starter screen white, which I think gives it a nice touch, and I painted the fuel and oil caps red and black instead of white.

Thanks! There are a couple of things that I painted differently from stock. I painted the starter screen white, which I think gives it a nice touch, and I painted the fuel and oil caps red and black instead of white.

Well it worked out for you!

That saw looks so good that I am thinking that I may want to find an old one myself and aim for the same result. It would be tough to achieve, but well worth the effort.

I think this is the begining of me doing lots of full restorations. Next I will do my Mitchell Mfg. or my McCulloch 25 or my Homelite SXLAO or my Stihl 08 or my direct drive David Bradley. I don't know what will be next as of right now. Probably the David Bradley. It will be the easiest being it already runs and cuts. All I need to do with that one is paint it and maybe install some new piston rings for greater compression. The only thing that I don't like about this mono is that the power products carb is gravity fed. The only working parts in the carb is the metering diaphram and an odd metering needle set up.

Runs Excellent!

I got my new chain in the mail for the mono 48 today. I put it on and took it outside. I used a funnel to pour gas in the tank. Adjusted the carb to what I thought may have been the presets, but the saw kept flooding. Ended up firing and running rough. Final adjustments were about 1 turn out on low side and about 3/4 out on the high side. Runs perfect, no hesitation at all. I will be posting a video of the saw running in the morning.

It seemed to me, at first, that the idle was too high, but the clutch wasn't engaging the sprocket and it was running really smooth.

New stickers!

Here are the most recent pics with the new stickers. I still have to paint and install the engine cover.

mono14.jpg

mono15.jpg

mono16.jpg

mono17.jpg

mono18.jpg

mono19.jpg

mono20.jpg

mono21.jpg

Latest posts

Back