Mono 48 Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stinkbait

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is what it used to look like.
mono.jpg

This is it so far. I have new engine seals, bearings and rings. Hope to assemble the engine today. Every saw part was bead blasted.
mono1.jpg

mono2.jpg

Tell me what you think. The red pait is a little brighter that what the original saw was, but I think it will look good in the end. I still have to paint the parts that will be white.

Look like one heck of a good start!

Keep posting pics as you progress, and for sure post up pics of the finished product.

Very nice!

:cheers:

Very nice!

VERY NICE! Far cry from what it was! Did you just get the saw or does it have history for you?

Are you planing on baking the paint to cure it? Looks like you took a lot of time on the detail of masking! That saw will be ......trying to find the words..... how's "looking like NEW" work for you? :) How much time do you have in it so far?

That isn't the original box to the left is it? :)

Dan

mono.jpg

Last edited:
I have had the saw for about a year I guess. I bought it on ebay. One of those "buy it now" or "best offer" deals. I happened to make the right offer. This tecumseh engine is odd compaired to the AH-47. It's a AH-480. It is a little bit bigger than the AH-47 by displacement and has a removeable head. The crankshaft seals are odd too. They look like the seal you see in the end of a garden hose.

Beautiful! I love a nice resto. The problem is that I'm forever afraid to use it after that. Will this one ever see wood again?

Yes it will see some wood. I would not put this much time into something for it to sit on a shelf. I have to at least break in the rings. We have a show here locally called the Heritage Festival. Theres antique tractors, engines, machines, cars, etc. My buddy Dean and I have a small set up each year with our saws on display. We also run them and cut with them to show people how they work. So far we are the only ones there with chainsaws, except for a stihl trailer for advertisement purposes. Last year we had about a 30" willow oak log that we cut on with Dean's two-man saw and a few other one man saws. If anyone is close by or interested in the show here's a link http://www.halifaxcountyheritagefestival.org/.

That's what mine had on it. Do you know if it came with 3/8" stock? And Do you know if there was ever a decal on the recoil cover?

NICE LOOKING RENO!!! what did you use for the cylinder for paint? wont it burn off? my grandfather had a 48 in the pics i have of it when it was new it never had a decal on the recoil just the tank and clutch cover.

I will have more pics on here tomarrow. Hopefully the engine will be assembled and the hadle attached by then. Have to buy white paint for the clutch cover, spike, and gas tank.

NICE LOOKING RENO!!! what did you use for the cylinder for paint? wont it burn off? my grandfather had a 48 in the pics i have of it when it was new it never had a decal on the recoil just the tank and clutch cover.

I don't know if the paint will burn off or not. This is my first full restoration and is kind of a guinea pig. I used Valspar tractor enamel. I has a real nice shine and seems pretty tough. The tank decals are available on ebay, but I want have the one for the clutch cover because it's smaller than the ones on the tank. Can you post some of those pics of when it was new?

i'll try and find em, i was looking at em when he passed at the gtg after the funeral last fall, funny the thing's we remember. i sent my 6-60 homie away for powder coat, cant waite for that to be done. i did the cylinder silver as it will never run again as the GF threw out the crank and piston assy i had in a edwards coffee can by mistake.

Latest posts

Back