How about this Video - "Old Man Blows Up Chainsaw"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something doesn't seem right there. It would take A Lot of pressure to do that I would think, and the tank vent??????

Something doesn't seem right there. It would take A Lot of pressure to do that I would think, and the tank vent??????

Why would you think that? The plastic on a tank is pretty thin, and there's a big volume inside. That tank is not designed to hold pressure. The vent? It can only pass a small rate of air.

Try it!

Put on your gloves, safety glasses, long sleeves, hard hat, and grab an old blown up saw and put some air to it. I know someone got an old POS laying around that they would not feel bad blowing up.....Don't forget to record it so we can all see.

I wouldn't think it would take over 15 to 20 pounds of air to blow one up.

Not to mention that the fuel filter would be an added restriction, meaning the hose would see a higher pressure sooner than the tank would. I'm thinking something just ain't right there...

And although the vent would indeed pass air, and the fuel line is small diameter, it would pressurize the tank pretty high before it ruptured the line.

The tanks are not designed to be pressure vessels - I believe this can indeed happen...

Someone really needs to try this and video it. Make sure there is an air guage at the inlet so we can tell what pressure makes the plastic give way. I'd try it but all mine are runners right now.
I'm guessing 43 PSI.

Someone really needs to try this and video it. Make sure there is an air guage at the inlet so we can tell what pressure makes the plastic give way. I'd try it but all mine are runners right now.
I'm guessing 43 PSI.
Unless a proper setup is built to isolate the tank from the person, this is a bad idea.

it shows to go ya just take the fuel filter out and replace it lol.

I have a friend that says the same thing...He also says, "no buts if or ans"...

Put on your gloves, safety glasses, long sleeves, hard hat, and grab an old blown up saw and put some air to it. I know someone got an old POS laying around that they would not feel bad blowing up.....Don't forget to record it so we can all see.

I might just have a sachs dolmar tank in the garage I can try this w/...

You all know if that would have been a STIHL saw that would have never happened ! There is a good example why you need to wear safety glasses when working around Husky's.

I`ve not seen that. Did see `Rat rod chainsaw` at the same time. It wouldnt link but for lovers of old saws its interesting, and to hear the old boy talking about its history.

Back