Iffy 394XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgiles117

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just need some wisdom here

WITH EAGERNESS I received my 394XP today. Thanks to William Balaskas for his infinite patience with me and a GREAT saw.

I do have one niggling issue that I cant seem to figure out.

Filled her up with 50:1 mix and Bar Oil. Fired her up she ran and idled. Rev'd her up a few times. WHAT A BEAST. LOL.
Starting cutting cookies. 6 seconds through some 15". "Sweet," I am saying to myself.

Turned her off, she wouldn't start back up. pulled the plug and swapped it out. No Go. Let her cool down. She fired up. This time , however, after running her through some wood a few times, she cut right off and wouldn't start back up.

Till she completely cooled down. Sounds like carburetor Vapor Lock to me... But I am no 2 cycle expert. So far I have rebuilt a 55 and a 51. Both are running great. So I figure this must be an easy fix, but I am lost as to where to start looking.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Could be the coil breaking down and loosing spark when warm. I would start with checking spark. Good luck.

Rich

I'll report back. My 1st inclination was a fouling plug as it was throwing smoke initially. After I got it into the cut it cleaned up and burned clean.

So I'll warm her up tomorrow and report back if I still have spark when warm.

Started her from cold. she kicked over after the 4th pull. idled for a few seconds, cut off. Tried to restart, No go.

I pulled the plug, it is SOAKED in gas mix. Popped that plug into my other saw, burned off the fuel mix. Checked for spark. PLENTY!!!

Put it back in the 394. No haps. Re-verified spark. Have no clue where to look.

Yesterday she started, did the same thing, I assumed it was because it had been a minute since she ran so I waited. (She was acting like my 55 when I had the L to rich) backed off the L a touch (1/16 of a turn) No Go. Waited for a bit. Started her again. This time I revved her and put her in some wood. She cuts like a beast, but will not hold Idle. Everything points to a jet problem (IMO) but I am not totally certain. If she would just hold idle long enough for me to check. When she did idle she stuttered like crazy before stopping.

My assumption and the fact that there is a ton of Gas mix on the plug after she started is that she is flooding.

This, of course, is a guess.

HELP!!!!!

Have you adjusted the carb at all? I would just start there, put both screws, high and low, 1 1/4 turnout from full in and see what happens.

:cheers:
Mike

Have you adjusted the carb at all? I would just start there, put both screws, high and low, 1 1/4 turnout from full in and see what happens.

Done that. www.getsaws.com recommends 1.5 turns for the L and .75 for the H. The High seems right if I can get the saw to start and rev her. She 4 cycles pretty good and settles down nicely in the cut. BUT SHE WONT hold idle. Arrgh!!!

The L is the one driving me batty. I have tried it at 1.5, 1.25 and 1 SHE REFUSES to turn over after she has started and cut off. Glad I have 3 other saws to play with, or I'd be going batty. LOL. I know she is getting fuel. Compressions tops out at 135-140 PSi so Thats good. Vacuum is good. Checked all that this morning before starting her up. Piston Looks Great, though it was coated in Mix.

I bought 2 plugs yesterday (NGK's) still no go on the restart after cold start.

If you do the carb kit, I would also do the fuel and impulse hoses too. Just cheap insurance....

depending on year model husky had problems with walbro carbs around 96 machining issue in seat area would leak and cause idling problems husky came out with a coining tool to fix this but i cant find part # for it

It totally must be a leaking issue. I had to screw the L completely in to get her to idle. Was able to run her, you can hear when she is cutting off when you release the throttle. A couple of taps before she dies and she'll hold idle.

Which would be best. swap the carb or attempt a rebuild? Do the rebuild kits come with what is needed to fix that issue???

This girl is a beast though... I was ran through some 18" tall maple to quarter it. 10 seconds at worst. WOW. Now I know why you guys are addicted. LOL

This will be a PERFECT milling saw. This and a Planer and I can make that flooring my wife wants.

Last edited:
Here is the serial, if anyone can let me know production year info, etc...

Thanks again for the guidance.

I'd say the ole girl is a 1994 made on the twenty second week of the year. That answer was channeled through me from Sawtroll.

Thanks Moss... 15 Yr veteran in the fold. I get these fuel issues sorted and I'll be a Happy cutter.

Back