Trees are Heavy...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not photoshopped. Did you read about it in the link provided?

That one piece was 16,000 lbs.
Correct. Must have been green. :biggrinbounce2:

I posted this Pic on another forum and asked the same question. All estimates there were at least 5,000 lb too low. I trust the crane operator's reading. Trees are heavy. Mulberry trees cut in the late spring and summer can actually outweigh oaks of the same size.

Any idea how much this thing weighs?
BigLog2.gif

Enough to kill the moron if something goes wrong! :newbie:

They are talking 45 F by early morning next week. I noticed a guy repairing his log splitter the other day. That's the first sign of the heating season. I may drop over there tomorrow and add some more big logs to his pile.

I promise not to drop a tree on his house. :spam:

Any idea how much this thing weighs?
BigLog2.gif

I'd liketo noodle it....:clap::givebeer:

when you want to figure the weight of a log---http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/calculators/calc.pl?calculator=log_weight
However, I'm not sure how they figure moisture content or crotchwood in those estimations. I imagine that's why so many men underestimated this behemoth section of crotch in the picture on this thread.

Being porous, wood is going to have different densities at different times of the year. This will vary a lot from one species to the next. The whole subject area is rather nebulous.
:dizzy:

Heck, he's o.k. - There's a cone out so no one walks under it - Ever wonder why comp rates are what they are? Look no further. :buttkick:
+1, Mike. Because this thread has been rather successful, I thought I would post what may be the heaviest or most massive tree of them all that was ever cut down by anyone:

RedwoodMammoth.jpg

No Macs, Stihls, Dolmars, or Huskies were available at the time. Regardless, the job got done. :popcorn:

Back