Trees are Heavy...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... Would you not agree?
Tree-Heavy.gif

Glad I was not in that car when the tree dropped.:jawdrop:

ooops. I know a guy that I will call a friend that was dropping some tall pines this past week. Not exactly a pro by any means. So he ties off a pine to the hitch on his pickup, puts the Mrs. behind the wheel, and commences to cutting. Tree fell on the truck and luckily only smashed the box and part of the passenger side. I'd take pics, but I think he's gotten enough ribbing for the time being. Oh, and his Mrs. was not happy to say the least.

ooops. I know a guy that I will call a friend that was dropping some tall pines this past week. Not exactly a pro by any means. So he ties off a pine to the hitch on his pickup, puts the Mrs. behind the wheel, and commences to cutting. Tree fell on the truck and luckily only smashed the box and part of the passenger side. I'd take pics, but I think he's gotten enough ribbing for the time being. Oh, and his Mrs. was not happy to say the least.
Must have been a small tree.

Ten years ago I watched a guy drop a 3'+ dia. cottonwood tree in the late spring. This tree was at least 80' tall with a full crown. He looped a heavy cable around the tree 25' up and fastened the other end to a good-sized caterpillar tractor to "control" the drop. Then he started to cut the tree down in complete confidence.

When the tree started to fall, it dragged the Cat with it as if it were a kid's toy in a sand box. The tree fell on a garage and wiped it out.

:monkey:

Must have been a small tree.

Ten years ago I watched a guy drop a 3'+ dia. cottonwood tree in the late spring. This tree was at least 80' tall with a full crown. He looped a heavy cable around the tree 25' up and fastened the other end to a good-sized caterpillar tractor to "control" the drop. Then he started to cut the tree down in complete confidence.

When the tree started to fall, it dragged the Cat with it as if it were a kid's toy in a sand box. The tree fell on a garage and wiped it out.

:monkey:

This was a decent sized pine for these parts. Perhaps 20" dbh, poor guy just din't put enough rope on it...:dizzy: Never been a fan of that practice myself.

You ready for some chill over there in Nebraska..? Looks like we may get it next week.

This was a decent sized pine for these parts. Perhaps 20" dbh, poor guy just din't put enough rope on it...:dizzy: Never been a fan of that practice myself.

You ready for some chill over there in Nebraska..? Looks like we may get it next week.
They are talking 45 F by early morning next week. I noticed a guy repairing his log splitter the other day. That's the first sign of the heating season. I may drop over there tomorrow and add some more big logs to his pile.

I promise not to drop a tree on his house. :spam:

Any idea how much this thing weighs?
BigLog2.gif

Last edited:
They are talking 45 F by early morning next week. I noticed a guy repairing his log splitter the other day. That's the first sign of the heating season. I may drop over there tomorrow and add some more big logs to his pile.

I promise not to drop a tree on his house. :spam:

Any idea how much this thing weighs?
BigLog2.gif

what kind of wood is it looked to me like white oak if so probbly 7000 pounds

:agree2:

My first job out of college was @ P&H Mining in Milwaukee (now Joy Global) - BIG open pit mine equipment and overhead cranes. Stuff so big that you could drive three school busses into one of the dippers...

And the rule there was, "Don't walk underneath anything that's heavier than you... and that's EVERYTHING." The hooks on the overhead cranes were 2k# alone...

Now I'm also going to say... are you sure that isn't photoshopped? It's a helluva job given the shadows line up. But a load that big would have rope tie-offs (sorry, I don't know the rigging term for lines tied to a large load used for maneuvering said load) before it got hoisted, no?

The news is full of normally smart people who do dumb things without thinking. I am sure the guy standing under that trunk thought he was in no danger and probably does it all the time. But there is always that ONE time. I am getting old enough now that I try to think about stuff before I have a "Hey hold my beer and watch this" moment.

:agree2:

My first job out of college was @ P&H Mining in Milwaukee (now Joy Global) - BIG open pit mine equipment and overhead cranes. Stuff so big that you could drive three school busses into one of the dippers...

And the rule there was, "Don't walk underneath anything that's heavier than you... and that's EVERYTHING." The hooks on the overhead cranes were 2k# alone...

Now I'm also going to say... are you sure that isn't photoshopped? It's a helluva job given the shadows line up. But a load that big would have rope tie-offs (sorry, I don't know the rigging term for lines tied to a large load used for maneuvering said load) before it got hoisted, no?

Not photoshopped. Did you read about it in the link provided?

That one piece was 16,000 lbs.

Heck.. i dont even trust hydraulics.. IF i have to leave the loader bucket up for some reason then i make the long way around. If witnessed hyd hoses bust and loads drop to the ground and even been running a tractor loading bulk seed and it happen to me. If anything is up in the air even 2ft and it weighs 100lbs its still gonna hurt like heck when it lands on your foot

Latest posts

Back