What kind of saws did your dad run ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad is 93 now. He's in remarkable shape. Works hard outdoors, runs the rototiller, etc. He bought a Poulan Super something in about 1978 or so. It's still around, metal and green. No chain brake. Won't start now. He kept getting it worked on, it would work for a while, then quit. The great depression made him reluctant to throw away things to this very day, 70 years later. He and his dad felled trees and bucked them in the 1920's and 30's with a 2 man crosscut saw. His dad, my grandfather hauled logs with an ox. The other day my dad tried and tried to remember the name of the ox, but he couldn't bring it to mind.

The other day I bought my Dad a Husky 235e. Got it home it was a POS. Terrible, just atrocious. I must say I was truly horrified that Husky would put their name on it. (I like my 445 a lot.) I took the 235e back and bought him a Stihl 180. What a great smile I saw on his face when I gave it to him!!!!!

My dad ran a poulan s25da and a remington mightymite bantam. I just rebuilt the carbs on both saws, they both run, idle, cut real good. The remington he bought used in the mid 70's and he thought it was old then. The poulan he bought new in '79.

Mine was running a Mac 10-10 pro.

Thats were my cad started. A 7 year old boy is easily infected from the splendid cocktail of 2 stroke smell, fresh wood flavours and the base tune of a mac without muffler (fell off, never replaced) all brought to him by his biggest hero ever, dad.

Thanks dad!

Grampa: McCulloch? - big loud & smokey.

Father: Jonsereds- until he retired

Uncle: Stihl

Me: Jonsereds and Stihls.

I heard dad speak of running Homelites, Pioneers and early Solo's. His saws from the years that I can remember are 41 Stihls then Partner R16-21. His last saws were a Stihl 028 and 038.

As a kid, I always remember Dad's John Deere saws. He had a 45EV and 55SV. He cut with them for years. A one point, we had 6 years of hardwood cut and stacked thanks to those saws. In 1990, he finally got the Stihl he always wanted, a 034, which I have today. He still says that thoses Deere saws were really good to him and never let him down.

or maybe even your grandfather?

Did they have any influence on the brand of saws that you run?

My grandfather and dad strongly believe in the old McCulloch saws. I think that is one reason that I am kind of partial to the McCulloch saws.

Kind of odd but my great grandmother was a McCulloch. Just not the right group.

I spent several years with my father cutting wood with a 2 man buck saw. He finally purchased a Homelite Super XL12 that I still have. I have owned several other saws over the years, Stihl, Mac and Jonsred. I made the switch to Husky, 372XPW and 395XP. Best saws I've ever run!:clap:

Dad ran a Jonsered until it blew up, then switched to Stihl. Been running his 031 for years and loves it. I now have an 028 and an 032, love 'em, yeah he influenced me.

My dad still runs his dads Stihl and has for as long as i can remember.
Being that he still uses it today, has influenced my decision to lean
towards Stihl. That and the fact I hate outboard clutches.

My grandpa always used a Homelite gear drive saw with a bow bar. Don't know the model number off hand but my uncle still has it, and it still runs. My grandpa got it new back in the 50's and heated exclusively with wood, so I know its seen a godawful amount of use.

My dad used a McC Pro Mac 10-10 and a Homelite Super XL. I now have his 10-10, and recently put a new coil in his homie to get it going again. He is 78 and still uses it. He unwittingly bought a new homelite a year or so back and is thoroughly disgusted with it, he wasn't aware of their decline.:(

My Grandfather used Huskys, had 3 of them, all big engines and bars I don't recall models, he said he needed 3 cause you never know....my mom and uncle rolls their eyes when they recall it, I guess I won't tell them how many I have, I guess the CAD gene skipped a generation.

My grandparents lived on Vancouver Island and heated the house with wood, I remember how hot the house was at Christmas.

my dad has an electric remington with the chain on backwards :dizzy:
basically I come over and help with any wood cutting

My dad had an old David Bradley that I believe he purchased from Sears? Also ran Mac's, Homelites, a Pioneer 1100, and his very last saw was a Stihl 024 that I still have! :)

I don't know about the rest of you but I had two grandpas.
One liked Homelites, the other liked McCulloch.
My Dad (the son of the one who liked McCulloch always liked Homelites.
This was back when I was a kid. The last time I looked in his garage, I noticed he now has a Stihl.
What an interesting thread....

I have my Dad's first saw, a blue and white Homelite XL-12. I remember when he bought it used from Charlie Nightkirk in Bluefield WV. It was a big deal to me, and I remember that exact day! We used it in the 1970's and pinched it when we were cutting fire wood. It wore a red drive cover for years, and then I "got into saws". It has a NOS blue and white drive cover now, sitting in the case with the scrench, files, and wedges. I also have my Grandfather's Mac 110 in the case. Nice little saw, and almost as loud as the XL-12. I'm partial to Homelite's, but love them all. Best, Max.:cheers:

Back