What kind of saws did your dad run ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Old macs and pioneers, and still right up to his passing cut in 07, cut firewood with a 5' sweetsaw.

That sweetsaw still rips through wood a few times a year, I just really suck at sharpening it, still learning how to sharpen and set them, seems like a lost art that was never passed on round these parts.

Older Homelite XL's and my dad bought a Stihl 031 new to supply his firewood needs. I still have it, and wont ever let it go. Very nice looking, nice running saw. I cut quite a bit of firewood for myself with it as well.

Pops bought a Pro Mac 610 years ago and used that.

Yep, that is what started my CAD. Well, more of Yellow Fever...

Last edited:
My dad ran a skil super 77 and a hand saw mitre box. :p

We never had need for chainsaws and he grew up in Chicago. My mom grew up on the farm, and I think that's where I get my tendencies.

Pretty sure dad had a McCulloch 10-10 before I was around then got a Stihl 038 super in the eighty's and never looked back.
He runs one of mine now an MS260 pro, but he doesn't cut much anymore, I still have his 038 though.

My Dad and Uncle both run Homelites back in in the winter of '66-'67 thru to 1973. Super XL-925's were the saws they were running at the end. They cut doug fir and big ponderosa pine on the West slope of Colo. I'm not sure if they had super XL-925's back in '67.

When I first remember cutting wood, dad had a crosscut saw and hauled the cuts to the woodpile on a sled pulled by the team of horses. As we needed wood, we cut it up with the crosscut or an axe. The smaller stuff we burned in the cook stove and used the chips to start the fire. Later he got a cut off saw and run it with the tractor, we was still cutting small wood that we could handle. In '58, dad bought a new McCulloch 35 and we still used the cutoff saw to cut wood to stove length. He later had another McCulloch for a while and had a lot of trouble with it then got a blue and white Homelite. The thing I remember most about the Homelite was the muffler kept coming loose and finally he just left it off, I don't know how he could stand to run it it was so loud. He traded that in on a new Poulan Pro and used it till '91 or '92. My nephew still has that saw and what is left of the McCulloch 35 is still hanging in the shed. Oh my, the good old days.

Last edited:
Well it is a long time ago but I can remember my Dad using a Pioneer first - then in the 60's and 70's he sold a few Pioneers and Partners in our Sports Store. Later he had a Stihl.
My best memories are from the late fifties and early sixties when as a kid I used to go into the mountains with him in his White log truck where he hauled mountain ash, celery top and woolly-butt - magnificent straight grained Australian hardwoods. The fallers there used Macs, Stihl Contras (I have one from one of those old guys) and Pioneers. I remember them being LOUD. Sitting in the bucking cab of the White while 20 tons of logs were rolled onto the jinker is a memory firmly etched in my mind.

Al.

Well it is a long time ago but I can remember my Dad using a Pioneer first - then in the 60's and 70's he sold a few Pioneers and Partners in our Sports Store. Later he had a Stihl.
My best memories are from the late fifties and early sixties when as a kid I used to go into the mountains with him in his White log truck where he hauled mountain ash, celery top and woolly-butt - magnificent straight grained Australian hardwoods. The fallers there used Macs, Stihl Contras (I have one from one of those old guys) and Pioneers. I remember them being LOUD. Sitting in the bucking cab of the White while 20 tons of logs were rolled onto the jinker is a memory firmly etched in my mind.

Al.

sounds like awesome times and a great experience:)

Back