What kind of saws did your dad run ...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Sachs Dolmar 133 was by far my dad's favorite saw.

Dolmar133-1.jpg

Dolmar133-2.jpg

When I was about 8 or 9 I remember seeing a Titan out in the shed. We also had a buzz saw hooked to the case tractor to cut up firewood.

Around 65 my dad got the new homelite XL12 and thats what we used.

Years later I decide I want to collect chainsaws and am fascinated with the old Titans..

So I start dragging them in and another old freind drops by and tells me one of my dads best hunting buddies used to work for Titan in seattle and was in some ads.. I grew up near seattle..

So I am digging through my old ads I have been buying for Titan saws and,,,

WOW, there he is... My dads buddy frank. we called him uncle Frank.

I was born in 55 so this was before me........

scan0006.jpg

franks45.jpg

my Dads last saw was a Stihl. When I need to cut I use a Stihl but I collect all saws now and Really like The big Titans and Stihls.

How much do you reckon that saw costs in todays money?

my grandfather ran a Mall 11 with my grandmother on the stinger, for years. He also had an old mac but I dont recall the modle. After he passed away dad got both saws and ran the mac until the clutch springs got weak, (need to get that saw down and figure out what it needs) After that dad boght an 028 used followed by a new 026 that was later traded for an 046 a couple years after I bought my 046.

For me a Stihl was what I grew up atound and the first saw I got my hands on was that 028, been a great saw and dad still uses it regularly. when I was old enough to have a job and got some cash I bought my 046, I wanted a bigger saw than dads ya know :chainsaw: Followed by my 066 then finally my 880.

My Grandpop used to log with my best friends grandfather for a few years when they were younger. I never asked what kind of saws they ran. Now I'm kind of interested to find out. I know he jumped out of duece and a half that was about to roll while they were logging. My buddy's pap rode it out.

As long as I remember though, my Grandpop ran a Stihl 029. I guess that's where I got my brand loyalty from. I showed him my new 361 and he was pretty impressed.

macclose.jpg

1951 is as far back as the national wage index goes. In 1951, the national average wage was $2799.16. That 20" chainsaw for $385 was almost 14% of the money an average man would make in a year.

2008 is $41,334.97. That means that 20" chainsaw in 2008 dollars would be $5,685.26. Seems to me the good old days weren't.

The old man always used Husqvarna for as long as I can remember, so at first I stayed with Husky. He used a L77 Husky for as long as I've been around for cutting wood, so when I was looking for a bigger saw to go with my 137 Husky I bought a L65 Husky and tried to get a Mac 2-10 that was sitting in the shed going and that's about when CAD set in.

macclose.jpg

1951 is as far back as the national wage index goes. In 1951, the national average wage was $2799.16. That 20" chainsaw for $385 was almost 14% of the money an average man would make in a year.

2008 is $41,334.97. That means that 20" chainsaw in 2008 dollars would be $5,685.26. Seems to me the good old days weren't.

in some of these old ads you will see stuff like,,,"DOES THE WORK OF 6 MEN"

these were not really the homeowner saw yet.

One man saws were still cutting edge at that time and many folks were still using handsaws or the cumberson dragsaws or buzz saws..

mid to late fifty's cheaper and lighter models came out that homeowners could afford.

The XL12 was introduced in late 1963 and Homelites idea was too sell one to every household with a tree to trim. Mac soon came out with their homeowner versions and made them more affordable also.

Last edited:
ahhh yes...fond memories of dad running the old Homelite Super XL. Grandpa has a real old Homelite smaller (IDK the model)....both of them bought their saws brand new....grandpas still runs great, dad's needs worked on a bit.

Thinking those will be my first restoration pieces (nostalgic of course) or mod attempts.

Usually a borrowed saw. But he did get a tiny homelite which is still around.
I remember one scary episode. He was going into the hospital for some surgery at age 70 something so he had to top those locusts. He was up on a rickety ladder with the homelite, I was on the Ford tractor keeping a rope taut and nervous because I had the responsibility of pulling the limbs out at the right moment. All went well, until he came down. He'd cut his hand with the saw on the first cut. The old guy had wrapped a hanky around it and had kept on cutting. I had a hard time talking him into going in for stitches. I could see the white bone and cartilage through the cut. I took him in and they stitched him up. He lasted a few more years.

my dad mainly used homelite and poulan mostly when I was a kid wich where good saws 20- 30 years ago in more recent years after going through a couple of the plastic poulans he bought a plastic husqvarna that hes using now not sure how long it will last.
not sure what my grandpa used but he did run a saw mill at one time and my dad does have an old 2 man saw that was his,I believe its a poulan also.

When my father logged just after high school. Art Russle and my father were using Alpina saws. After he made enough money. Dad picked up a Pioneer/Partner P42HP which I still use to this day.

My grandfather use to use a Canadien PM 270 around our old ranch. But once it kicked back on him and sent him down the hill. The saw was a goner.

My uncle has used too many saws in his falling career. Everything from Stihl to Husky, Jred, McC, Pioneers, Homelites, Pioneer/Partners. Oleo Macs, Canadiens.

:cheers:

My grandfather started out at his new house with a couple pioneer p25's, then bought an echo which my dad has now. my dad gave me the pioneer 1100-G i have and use now. i use husqvaranas too, really enjoy using them:) model 340 i think. my grandfather uses a poulan now just cause it's lighter:p

My grandfather uses stihls today 2 new ones he bought last fall and one 026 stihl I think and a old homelite xl he buys logs and cuts them using stihls he told he went to stihl because it is easy to get parts but he likes all brands, he bought a Homelite zip in 1962 and give it to my Dad and he had a very old mcculloch 33 with ice auger on it which I cut wood with one day. he did have a 042 or 041 but seals went out.

my dad is a stihl fan but does not cut much wood as my grandfather but he has a 029 and a 044 which I use.

Me bought a Mcculloch 1-43 because I wanted a chainsaw then a bought a lombard comango and a mcculloch 1-52 first chainsaw that has a wrap around handle I alway wanted a stihl I got a 031 does not runs :(

Both Dad and Grandad ran Mcculloch.

I still have the last Mcculloch Dad purchased at the dealer in 1979 or 1980, a PM610.

Grandad ran Partner, Jonsered, Dolmar. My dad has always used Husqvarna. I own three Stihls myself. Borrowed a saw from a neighbour. A Stihl, and loved it. I have nothing against Husqvarna, except that they are ugly... :)

/Pontus

Back