Hard Starting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00juice

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been a while since i've posted anything. I have not had much time to play with the saws. Anyways, My 084 is a real pig to get started. The only way I can get it started is by taking off the air filter, and pouring some mix into the carb. Once started, it runs really well. Does this sound like something is wrong, or is it now just gonna be a part of cold starting this saw. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Maybe your carb isn't pumping fuel. I can see if its been setting for a long time but not every start. Does it restart when its been run for a few minutes?...Bob

The only way I can get it started is by taking off the air filter, and pouring some mix into the carb. Once started, it runs really well. Does this sound like something is wrong
Definitely something wrong. Not getting enough gas, for some reason.

Have you verified that the choke lever is actually engaging the choke ? If you flip the choke lever with the air filter removed, you should be able to see the choke plate move.

Other than that, all I can suggest is look at the carb, the fuel line, and the impulse line.

Carb problems can be difficult to pinpoint. I'm chasing a carb problem of my own at the moment. :D

Fuel lines are a real problem right now with this new gas maybe yours is mushy and no fuel. Will it stay running once its going?...Bob

Once I get the saw running, it runs very well, and has a ton of power. Once warm, it will start right up. I should mention this saw was worked over by a builder. He had the saw back several times, the final time it came back, I could not get it to start at all. I gave up with him, and about a year ago, I took it to a local saw shop, and they got it so it would run for me, but it has been needing to pour fuel into the carb to start since. I bought the saw probably 3-4 years ago and had redone by that builder so that I could use it for milling. I still have not used it for milling, as it still probably only has 4-5 tanks of fuel through the new and ported cylinder and piston. I am hoping to actually put it on the mill this fall. If i have to pour fuel to start, I can deal with it, if it can be fixed even better. I just don't want to cause more problems by running it if its gonna cause a problem.

Defiantly sounds like u are not getting fuel the right way. Like said carbs are not that easy to pin point problems and sometimes u may find one problem and then u find another problem. Just curios what type of gas are u running in your saw? like 87, 89 etc

Gas is always premium with mobil 1 racing 2t 50:1. Does this kind of problem sound like something that will cause further damage?

Check that:

1) The choke is actually closing - it should be completely closed, not even a little bit open. Take off the air filter and look through the car while you work the lever.

2) Check that the start position lock out on the trigger is also working - the throttle plate should be about half open when you look down the carb.

It could be a weak fuel pump, but having loads of power suggests this is actually OK. Try two starts with, say, 3 hours in between. The saw will be cold, but the carb will still be full. If the second start works (i.e. the saw is cold enough to need choke and trigger lock) - then have a look at the fuel pump, fuel line and impulse.

Check that:

1) The choke is actually closing - it should be completely closed, not even a little bit open. Take off the air filter and look through the car while you work the lever.

2) Check that the start position lock out on the trigger is also working - the throttle plate should be about half open when you look down the carb.

It could be a weak fuel pump, but having loads of power suggests this is actually OK. Try two starts with, say, 3 hours in between. The saw will be cold, but the carb will still be full. If the second start works (i.e. the saw is cold enough to need choke and trigger lock) - then have a look at the fuel pump, fuel line and impulse.

Pretty much my thoughts also. Most saws that start hard for me were a choke issue but then the part throttle position not set or functioning properly will make saws start hard also.

As staed previously check your choke, the Stihl linkages are well prone to bending or binding upon the air filter casing. Most likely if you remove your air filter and engage the choke and verify that it is fully closed it will "pop" in a couple of pulls. If so just rebend your choke rod so things sork as they should and do not bing..........a new choke rod is not the answer...have yet to get a new one that works as it should, they all seem to be bent and banged up upon delivery.

I will take a closer look at the choke lever tomorrow. I appreciate all of the responses. Thank You

Back