Not sure exactly where to post this but....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a little bit more to my issue than my large steel toe boots actually. I'm 74 and been dealing with the last 7 years with inoperable cancer so I have to do chemo every 2 weeks and the chemo has impacted my hands over time so my grip isn't what it used to be and I really have to use 2 hands to start even the 590 with the compression release engaged and of course when it pops, it also pops out the compression release.

Glad I have good hospitalization for one and secondly, the Lord must want me to hang around because at the outset of all this, I was told I had 6 months tops to live and that was 7 years ago. Gonna try the 2x4 board method first and go from there. Interestingly, I have no issue starting my ancient 028 but then over the years it's probably lost a bit of compression, I'd loose a bit (of compression) if I was a 45 year old chainsaw myself, or the Echo CS arborist saw but it's a lot smaller displacement than the Timber Bear.

It actually runs fine and always starts on the second pull without fail and I'm not gonna take it apart as it's still a 45 year old virgin. Pulls a 20 " old style Stihl bar with 325 full tooth chipper no issue. In fact, it has the original bar on it from when I bought it new though I did rock the bar slightly 2 years ago as it seemed to be loosing it's 'hump' in the middle to my eye. Ground it a bit on my shop's 14" flat plate grinder, the one we use for deburring stuff and chamfering parts. Only on it's second plug too. I always flip the bar every time I change a loop out.

It's had an easy life, all my saws have an easy life as all I use them for is storm damage around the farm but this summer (if I keep surviving that is), I'm going to be cutting downed trees on a friend's 53 acres of mixed hardwood on the other side of the town close to me.

He even gave me permission to use his John Deere tracked bulldozer to drag the trees out with. That should be fun as I've never ran a bulldozer and all the wood is already spoken for. one of my longtime retired friends cuts wood and splits it and sells it to the local campgrounds for fire wood, it's his retirement income.

I get to help him cut them up into 14" lengths which is what he wants them at so he can split them and he stacks them in bundles and ties them up and that is how he sells it. I even marked the bar on the 028 and the Timber Bear at 14" from the nose so I can gage the lengths easily. He's been gnawing at my wood pile next to the barn that I'm trying to get rid of as well.

I don't heat with wood and I really don't want to anyway. My wife, who is as old as I am, I would never expect her to load a wood stove with splits and have to clean out the ashes regularly either. She has issues with her shoulder as it is.

It's tough getting old for me as well as her. we just had installed a new propane fired ultra high efficiency condensing furnace and it's pretty easy on gas and we have 2 500 gallon propane bottles anyway and that is plenty enough to not only heat my machine shop, but heat the house as well for a winter. Like I said, no issues with the 028 and no issues with the Echo CS 210 either, just the Timber Bear.

One of the regulars on here came with his Gooseneck trailer and took all the big butts I had cut early last year and that filled his trailer up. Had no issue loading them either as either one of my farm tractors can pick up a couple tons with their loaders, but I still have a lot of dry mixed hardwood left in the pile though it is getting smaller, slowly. I need it to be gone as I park farm equipment there in the warm months and it will be in my way shortly.

I may pull muffler again on the 028 and have a look-see at the piston. Las time I removed it to see if there was any carbon buildup and clean the spark arrestor screen, there was very little and the piston and rings appeared to be fine but I'm thinking the compression ring has lost it's tension from age and use and is not running against the cylinder bore with sufficient tension and it's loosing some compression. I've always ran it (since new) on no lead regular with no corn alcohol in it and as of last year, switched it over to Red Armor 50-1 canned fuel. It started life and until last year on Stihl premium oil mix at about 50-1 in the non ethanol gas. Last time I looked inside the exhaust port, the piston was pristine, had just a touch of blowby varnish on it but no score marks that I could see anyway.

It might behoove me to replace the rings (if I can get them that is), and maybe the crank seals as they are over 45 years old and I'm pretty sure they are about done as well. My issue again, will be getting the parts, I want OEM stuff if possible, The saw has never been fooled with other than I opened up the muffler a bit with my Dremel tool, way back when it was new and I never overheated it either. Like all my saws, it gets blown out with compressed air, the side cover removed and cleaned of any wood swarf and the nose greased (it has the old style Stihl greaseable roller nose bar) and put away, something I do with all my saws, every time I use them and they are kept in the back of my machine shop, in the corner and they are in a heated (in the winter) and cooled (in the summer, low humidity environment.

Back