Northern Tool 30T splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwiley

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I hate to do it, but I am finding that hand splitting 10+ cords a year is just a bit too much for a 40 something year old. I really love hand splitting and I will keep doing it some, but I don't think my body will last at the rate I am going.

Looking for owners feedback on the Northern Tool 30T splitter ($1599). Would you buy it again? Are there better choices?

We don't have the money, but I think I can sweet talk my wife into pinching some savings to get it.

No better or worse than any of the other box store splitters. Keep an eye open on them as they might run a sale this fall and you could save a couple c notes. 90% of the time the 20 ton range units will do everything you need and might be a bit quicker ram speed wise.

Thanks - where in WI are you? We just got back from a week of visiting family in DeForest - I miss Wisconsin, especially in the fall with the excitement of a real winter looming ahead :)

Unfortunately, I am stuck between Milwaukee and Waukesha. As with any area it has become built up and with that too many do and do nots from the local authorities.

Unfortunately, I am stuck between Milwaukee and Waukesha. As with any area it has become built up and with that too many do and do nots from the local authorities.

Yeah, no kidding. I have a BIL in Hartland - a little more rural out that way.

No better or worse than any of the other box store splitters. Keep an eye open on them as they might run a sale this fall and you could save a couple c notes. 90% of the time the 20 ton range units will do everything you need and might be a bit quicker ram speed wise.

I agree with the 20 ton model probably being enough splitter. I have extensively used a 35 ton Huskee. I recently borrowed a friends 22 ton craftsman that I'm pretty sure is an MTD. There's not much I couldn't do with the smaller splitter, nothing actually. If I didn't have enough splitter with the 22 ton, I could've easily grabbed a saw. But it never came to that and I was splitting some pretty gnarly stumpy stuff.

The cycle is a little slower on the 22 ton, but not over extending/retracting the cylinder can easily make up the lost time.

I know the urge to buy the biggest, or bigger than you think you need, but I am pretty sure I would buy a smaller splitter for 10 cords and under.

I agree with the 20 ton model probably being enough splitter. I have extensively used a 35 ton Huskee. I recently borrowed a friends 22 ton craftsman that I'm pretty sure is an MTD. There's not much I couldn't do with the smaller splitter, nothing actually. If I didn't have enough splitter with the 22 ton, I could've easily grabbed a saw. But it never came to that and I was splitting some pretty gnarly stumpy stuff.

The cycle is a little slower on the 22 ton, but not over extending/retracting the cylinder can easily make up the lost time.

I know the urge to buy the biggest, or bigger than you think you need, but I am pretty sure I would buy a smaller splitter for 10 cords and under.

Thanks for the recommendation - I was toying with that very issue. I suspect that I need to change focus to the 22T model. Cycle time is an issue and I can always noodle the bigger stuff by hand for the few pieces that I run into.

I have one, going on 3 years old I think. Have had zero problems with it, and it has the good Honda motor. Make sure you tighten all the bolts before using it, I found a few loose.
I run only horizontal, and had to re-route some of the hoses that were rubbing and/or binding. It splits anything I throw on it. The cycle time isn't real fast, but it's faster than I want to work, and I usually split by myself, so the speed is fine for me.
After the split, throw the lever all the way back, and the ram will retract automatically and stop, so by the time you get another round into position, it's ready to go again. Or, you can do it manually if you want to.

I have one, going on 3 years old I think. Have had zero problems with it, and it has the good Honda motor. Make sure you tighten all the bolts before using it, I found a few loose.
I run only horizontal, and had to re-route some of the hoses that were rubbing and/or binding. It splits anything I throw on it. The cycle time isn't real fast, but it's faster than I want to work, and I usually split by myself, so the speed is fine for me.
After the split, throw the lever all the way back, and the ram will retract automatically and stop, so by the time you get another round into position, it's ready to go again. Or, you can do it manually if you want to.

Do you have the add on wings they sell for those mking it a three way?

Do you have the add on wings they sell for those mking it a three way?

Nope, just run it stock. I did sharpen the wedge tho. The wood I split is too hard and crotchy, but if you were splitting... say pine, I think it would work well. They rob me of tonnage on the hard stuff. Even the single wedge groans sometimes, but it always splits.

With hydraulic splitters the brand has little to do with cycle times. The model or more specifically the pump GPM and cylinder bore size combo is what determines cycle time. A 4" bore with 24" stroke and 11 gpm pump will gave you the same cycle time regardless of brand. Change the pump to 16 gpm and cycle time will be faster.

I purchased a Northern 30 ton splitter in '97. It still works fine today. This particular splitter is a horizontal splitter with a 10 hp briggs engine.

This critter has worked so well that I do not have an excuse to get a newer and better model.

A log lift would make this an ideal splitter. Maybe it is time to fabricate one.

Lou Braun

I have the 37 ton. I think it and the 30 ton that you are looking at are very similar in construction.
I've been very happy with it overall. The idle control feature is really nice.
Two additions I made for splitting horizontally are a table to catch wood that needs to be split again and I lengthened the log stripper opposite the control valve to protect the gas tank.
I think you will be happy woth your purchase.

Latest posts

Back