This truck is really cool.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
State DOT laws are different from state to state. Only the federal DOT laws are the same state to state. When I was driving nearly every state had a 80,000 limit but Ill. Ill. was way lower so we made every effort to go thru there at night when the scales were closed or just plain go around the state if possiable.

6X6 trucks are just as stopable as a 4x4, just might take a bit deeper mud hole to do it.

:D Al

That is true you can license it for whatever you want but the first thing they will do is open the door and find the GVW stamped by the manufacturer of the truck and that is what you will be held to for weight and then you are over your axle limits and that is when you will get your fine

this keeps people from tagging a frontier at 25999 and hauling.
I could take my frontier, swap in a Dana 80, a class V hitch and fold the frame in half with an otherwise minor crash with a load.
The GVWR is the consideration of everything besides axles and tires. Frame, brake power, sway control, even having enough drive vehicle to safely control the weight and not get pushed around and out of control by the weight.

It's about money.
You can buy an over weight or oversize permit and you are legal.
Big trucks can go to 800 pounds for every inch of tires touching ground with the over weight permit. 18 tires and 800 pounds for every inch with is around 144000 pounds gross with the permit. No permit and 80000 is limit

Not trying to burst anyones bubble or anything but being that its only a 450 and with the knuckleboom on the back it would be overweight with one log put on the truck maybe allright with poplar or something but ouch

thats when you change the fuel pump springs,put in bigger injectors and twin turbos

Steve I disagree. Only because I stopped at a weight station and asked the questions. I was told by an officer that GVWR is a suggestion that they can't legally hold you to. As long as you stay below 26000k. If you go above 26k you need a cdl. If you are driving a truck with a plate above 26k you have to have a cdl. If your truck has a license above 26k and is towing a trailer with a gwr above 10k you have to have a class A cdl. He actually told me I could license my f-550 for 80k pounds and pull it down the highway like that as long as I had a class A and I didn't go over my axle weight limits,tire limits,and hitch limits.

Scott

hahahahahahaha an f550 with 80K holy moly good luck with that !
MD

In PA, your registration fee is based on what weight class you register your truck. You can register it for less than the GVWR, but if you get stopped with a load and you exceed that weight you will get cited. As someone previously mentioned you can get a permit to exceed the 80,000lb limit. Loggers and the gas guys are doing it. Its all about the money.

Back