• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Top handle chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conner1129

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something you aren’t happy with or have had laying around and want to get rid of bad enough to let it go for like 100$ but also the thing won’t try kill me and **** would be cool. Doubtful about it but why not.

Interested in a 191T project? Largest cc top handle ever released by Stihl I've been told. I've got a parts saw, new oems plastics for nearly everything, 2 new oem top end kits, and just a big stash of parts I've accumulated over the years. Always thought I'd take a rainy Saturday and put it all together, but still haven't. I'd probably want about $200 plus the ride if you're interested.

Interested in a 191T project? Largest cc top handle ever released by Stihl I've been told. I've got a parts saw, new oems plastics for nearly everything, 2 new oem top end kits, and just a big stash of parts I've accumulated over the years. Always thought I'd take a rainy Saturday and put it all together, but still haven't. I'd probably want about $200 plus the ride if you're interested.
Got one here runs fine 191T. New dealer tagged top handlebar sitting next to it, also. Mine needs a front AV mount rubber, nbd. These saw are interesting but lack torque, rpm and are heavy. Long bar on a built one in west coast cedar or east coast white, maybe it goes better.

Mine goes for 200 with all the big 42cc short piston dreams. If the chamber isn't welded up it has no hope to be a grunt tool.
Enjoy

I own a "chainsaw" chainsaw. And a proyama zenoah 2500 copy too.

They both rip, balance nicely, run predictably and consistently and so far show no sign of not being excellent tools. I have over 30 tanks through the proyama and maybe 5 or 6 thru the "chainsaw". Proyama operates like an ope company and seem knowledgeable in correspondence, while the chainsaw chainsaw outfit that I bought from on amazon doesn't, really. In fact, it's kinda bad that all the pics of the chainsaw chainsaw that I've seen have the chain on backwards. Whatever, I figured I should put it on the right way anyway.

They both run about the same and can pull a buried bar no problem, in some wood even levering with the dawgs. There are some small differences. The fit and finish of the proyama is a little better, it has slightly bigger fuel and oil tanks, the trigger feels a bit better to me, it might vibrate a little less?, but for about 50 bucks less, I'd take the "chainsaw" as it is very close, overall. Oh, and the "chainsaw" has a spring assist starter and an always-on rocker kill button (don't really like that). I got the chainsaw chainsaw that has the two piece clutch cover ("improved" it says in the description?) , which is one of the reasons I chose the proyama in the first place.
They are my first and only top handles and are just the handiest little things. They fit on the off-side top step of my main chore tractor, which is what I bought the first one for (the proyama). I can run around my hayfields cleaning deadfall from the treed edges in the spring and invariably there are more deadfalls to clear when I'm cutting hay.

I've dropped a few 16" trees with them, no problem. I'm still working on lining up my felling cuts, cause these top handle saws are unnatural to me, but getting better..

If I was using a top-handle saw daily I would be buying a name brand saw for 4-6 times more money. But I don't, so I can't justify that. Based on the way these copies balance and run I'm not sure that I would be more satisfied with a name brand saw anyway.. these copies are shockingly competent for 25cc.

Oh, and these chinese chains come sharp from the factory. Go figure.

In case you wanted to know...

I own a "chainsaw" chainsaw. And a proyama zenoah 2500 copy too.

They both rip, balance nicely, run predictably and consistently and so far show no sign of not being excellent tools. I have over 30 tanks through the proyama and maybe 5 or 6 thru the "chainsaw". Proyama operates like an ope company and seem knowledgeable in correspondence, while the chainsaw chainsaw outfit that I bought from on amazon doesn't, really. In fact, it's kinda bad that all the pics of the chainsaw chainsaw that I've seen have the chain on backwards. Whatever, I figured I should put it on the right way anyway.

They both run about the same and can pull a buried bar no problem, in some wood even levering with the dawgs. There are some small differences. The fit and finish of the proyama is a little better, it has slightly bigger fuel and oil tanks, the trigger feels a bit better to me, it might vibrate a little less?, but for about 50 bucks less, I'd take the "chainsaw" as it is very close, overall. Oh, and the "chainsaw" has a spring assist starter and an always-on rocker kill button (don't really like that). I got the chainsaw chainsaw that has the two piece clutch cover ("improved" it says in the description?) , which is one of the reasons I chose the proyama in the first place.
They are my first and only top handles and are just the handiest little things. They fit on the off-side top step of my main chore tractor, which is what I bought the first one for (the proyama). I can run around my hayfields cleaning deadfall from the treed edges in the spring and invariably there are more deadfalls to clear when I'm cutting hay.

I've dropped a few 16" trees with them, no problem. I'm still working on lining up my felling cuts, cause these top handle saws are unnatural to me, but getting better..

If I was using a top-handle saw daily I would be buying a name brand saw for 4-6 times more money. But I don't, so I can't justify that. Based on the way these copies balance and run I'm not sure that I would be more satisfied with a name brand saw anyway.. these copies are shockingly competent for 25cc.

Oh, and these chinese chains come sharp from the factory. Go figure.

In case you wanted to know...
I went to a store and husq makes one for like 350 I think he said

I would also suggest one like I have. It's not that I am not happy with mine, I just got a big saw, and am one of those kind of guys who will sometimes let a saw got for what I have into it.

An Echo CS3000---- $150 + shipping

Owned a Stihl top handle arborist saw for oh, about a month until I ran it over with my truck, fell off the tailgate and I backed over it, quick 700 bucks down the crapper, smashed it pretty flat so it went to the landfill, no useable parts left and I wasn't about to spend another 700 bucks on another so I purchased an Echo top handle CS series (homeowner grade) saw for 1/3rd the cost of the Stihl (I am inherently cheap).

I did modify it even before I started it for the first time, however. I removed the muffler and replaced it with a non-cat muffler (interestingly Echo offers a non cat replacement muffler and so does Forrester), it's 100% bolt on and I also modified the external baffle / exhaust director so it didn't dump hot exhaust gas on the plastic outer cover and melt it (big issue with these saws) if you peruse the Echo website you'll see comments about that. When I modded the external cover, I also removed the baffle that Echo puts in there (did the same deal to my Timber Bear 590, seem as though Echo has some sort of romance with baffles, I don't however.

One thing I always do with ANY new to me saw that is new is I always run the first couple tanks at 40-1, not 50-1 and of course I always run canned fuel now simply because I don't run the everyday and canned fuel for me with it's extended shelf life and no phase separation like you get with Obama gas, I'm good with and I prefer Echo Red Armor but I've used Tru-Fuel (unlike the negative comments on this site, had 0 issues with it) as well with no issues.

The Echo top handle is a bit down on power but I feel that as it gets broken in, it will be equal to the Stihl but at a much better price point and being retired, price point is important, just not when it comes to Chinese price point saws.

Latest posts

Back