Cap for OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackmup

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Should I put a cap on my CB 6048 chimney pipe? We live in the country where it is wide open so I thought it might be good to put a cap on it to keep out the rain while it is running. Any thoughts?

Scratch that, the boys a Central Boiler said they draw much better without cap. They said use a 5 gallon bucket in the summer and pull it off in the winter. Nice simple, I like it:D

The rain shouldnt do anything when burning the water will evaporate as soon as it hits the stack!!

I spent the $80 for the rain cap from Central Boiler. The unit seems to draw just fine with or without it, but it will drip creosote on the roof of the unit over time and make it look ugly. Skip the cap, and use the bucket when not in service.....

:givebeer:

I did the same thing as Guns. My dealer told me to skip the cap for the reason above but I didn't take his advice. This summer I covered the stack with a 5 gal pail and everything was good until the last storm. The winds took the pail off my stack and my firebox had water inside. Next summer I'll connect a rope to the pail and the back of the boiler.

Skip the cap

Back