Sharpening WPro Ripping Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to put a new edge on some 38RP woodland pro loops.

Judging from the packaging it's looking like I'm supposed to do a 10 degree top angle and also 10 degree up instead of going straight across/level.

I'm doing this with a 7/32 file and my usual stihl guide, and I can see that my file is not getting down into the cutter enough. I started going freehand but I can see that from a side profile I am losing the curve of the cutter, and getting less of a hook than is there.

Does anyone have any anecdotal experience with this? I'm going to try a 13/64 stihl file I have lying around but it almost seems like the profile is best matched with a 3/16?

Let me know,

Mike

I'm doing this with a 7/32 file and my usual stihl guide, and I can see that my file is not getting down into the cutter enough. I started going freehand but I can see that from a side profile I am losing the curve of the cutter, and getting less of a hook than is there.

Does anyone have any anecdotal experience with this? I'm going to try a 13/64 stihl file I have lying around but it almost seems like the profile is best matched with a 3/16?

Whatever you do, change things by small increments so I'd start with the 13/64" file and don't forget you can also use different size file holders to change cutter shapes as well.

Here's a close up of the amount of hook generated using a 13/64" file in different size Oregon file holders.
The bottom image is a factory ground Carlton cutter
attachment.php

I have been using a 13/64 file in a 5/32 file holder. It generates a significant hook and self feeds so there is less pushing but it needs to be touched up more often. When I get a chance I'm thinking of trying a 13/64 file in a 3/16 file holder.

Last edited:
Cheers Guys - those pics are from last sept (your speed of cutting thread Mntgun) - I've also sharpened some 3/8 with a range of file sizes, I will take some close ups and create a picture matrix WIGRTI.

Thank you very much for the photos.

I free handed with a 13/64, allowing the file to dig a bit deeper than it normally would, and got an effecive radius for the cutter that I am pretty happy with.

Very good idea in using different size holders though, I will certainly try that. I have some 3/16" stihl holders on hand so this is great that I dont have to buy anything else.

Thanks again!

Back