Northern Tool Frosty Grip glove review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Reaction score
Over the last few years I've become a fan of the rubberized gloves for wood handling. The biggest drawback is that they're generally uninsulated, so when it gets cold the leather gloves come out.

I found these insulated version of the rubberized gloves at Northern Tool, NT Frosty Grip Link they are $7.99 online, I think I paid $7.00 in the store.

I've put a few cords on mine now, and they're holding up great, and keep the mitts warm down to about 20°. Below that, you'll still be grabbing the leather insulated type. Grip with them is excellent and fit to the hands is good.

I'll give them my full recommendation, throw a set on your stocking stuffer list. Here's what mine look like after handling wood for 3-4 days of use. The only wear noticeable is that the logo is gone off the back of them.

attachment.php

These are great, I've used them the last 3 years for working construction outside, obviously for winter... I get them from a local Ace for$4.99 bought 4 of them last year and only used up one pair. A great glove that takes abuse and keeps your digits warm!!:clap:

Get mine at the local Amish harness shop. Bought 3 pair the other day paid 5.25. Guess the Dutch are making 26 cents more then ace. Kind of nice buying them in a shop heated by a pot bellied stove.

Are they somewhat waterproof too? I bought some pigskin waterproof gloves from Gemplers last year that are holding up well but I don't think Ill buy any more. They are not breathable and they get wet inside anyway when my hands sweat. Not very pleasant to put your hands into after they have sat for awhile and they cool down. Breathable ones are too expensive.......

waterproof as far as the rubber goes around the palm. The only reason mine broke is that the web split b/t the thumb and first finger, I still use them though cuz I'm that Dutch.:)

Laird, no they're not waterproof, but like tj mentions, the rubber coating part of it is, and that keeps it a lot drier than most gloves when handling wet or in my case today, snow covered wood. The cloth part will dry pretty quickly on the truck defroster or over the woodstove as well.

I buy some gloves very similar. For handling vinyl replacement windows. I can carry a window with a whole lot less effort as opposed to jersey gloves. Jerseys are slick, where as the rubber grips excellent to the vinyl.
Yes the regular ones are cold. But I found some thermal knit ones at rural king for right at 5 bucks. Seem considerably warmer. And wear like iron.

waterproof as far as the rubber goes around the palm. The only reason mine broke is that the web split b/t the thumb and first finger, I still use them though cuz I'm that Dutch.:)

LOL!!

Permatex? Or would that cost too much? If ya use blue permatex the neighbors wont talk. :hmm3grin2orange:

The local hardware has 'em and I have been eyeballing them just to see if they will work. Now I gotta give 'em a run.

The good pair of insulated pigskins I bought last spring are eaten through already, and I'm sick of paying 20 bucks for winter gloves every couple of months only to have 'em worn out in just a couple spots. Fixing them with gorilla snot would be a bonus.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I buy some gloves very similar. For handling vinyl replacement windows. I can carry a window with a whole lot less effort as opposed to jersey gloves. Jerseys are slick, where as the rubber grips excellent to the vinyl.
Yes the regular ones are cold. But I found some thermal knit ones at rural king for right at 5 bucks. Seem considerably warmer. And wear like iron.

I install vinyl windows too. Are those type of gloves sensitive enough to handle trim nails for aluminum trim too? I can do trim when wearing doubled up jerseys but most other types are too much for trim work. I hear ya about them being slick when carrying those windows though.

Another option from Northern Safety......

Very similar to the above gloves. I used these gloves at work and home and they aren't waterproof, but somewhat water resistant.... $3.99 at NS......

P0068165.jpg

I've put a few cords on mine now, and they're holding up great, and keep the mitts warm down to about 20°. Below that, you'll still be grabbing the leather insulated type. Grip with them is excellent and fit to the hands is good.

I'll give them my full recommendation, ...

:agree2:

I bought some of these after reading your review. They've been pretty good. Did a lot of wood handling and snow shoveling since then. Yes, your hands get damp, and even wet if you are in snow, but they do keep warm if you are active. They dry overnight with no problem. I just hang them on the line near the wood stove.

:cheers:
I plan to buy more.

I install vinyl windows too. Are those type of gloves sensitive enough to handle trim nails for aluminum trim too?

Hmmmm. Mebbe not, but try a pair. I did some emergency roofing after one of our recent storms, and was handling roofing nails okay.

Outstanding gloves for cold,wet, snowy, muddy conditions. Our feed store owner talked us into buying a pair of these to try a couple of months ago.
We paid 4.75, the oldest son used them and swore by them, now we have four pairs, one for each member of the firewood crew. They are awesome in nasty conditions, the palm holds up extremely well, have yet to have a failure.
In dry conditions we prefer the cheap white or grey string net gloves, we get the white ones for 5.50 a doz and the heavy grey ones for around 7.00 a doz so it's no biggie when they wear out.

Update:

Had these things for a year, they've moved a bunch of wood. They are the worse for wear, but no holes through em. I got a new pair for Christmas, and doing a back to back comparo, the old wore out ones are (suprise) not as warm, but still do the job.

Here's a pic of them now, lost some rubber especailly at the fingertips, but I'd bet they'd handle another cord before my fingers were taking the abuse:

attachment.php

i bought three pairs @$5 each pr. at menards to try out and i like them... as you have said as long as you are active, cutting handling and splitting they work great... even in snow and ice i can still get a grip on my axe. while cutting i still have enough dexterity to file the chain and such..:clap:..and they wear better then leather. :computer:

oh by the way they are made by boss glove company... if you want to you can order direct and put your own logo on them. it just takes $$$$

I and several coworkers have tried several brands and styles of the knit gloves with rubber palms. Like others have said, they wear very well. Atlas Fit has been the favorite brand so far. The model 300 is a standard glove. The thermal knit glove is a warmer glove.
Other manufacturers have a fully dipped glove if you are looking for a more water proof glove. The ones we tried (from Grainger I think) weren't the same quality as the Atlas Fit brand though. The knit material got stretched out of shape quicker.

Back