I treated it nice and it bit me - what safety gloves to get now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impalervlad

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been cutting with a little top-handle for limbs and such for probably thirty years. I recently treated it to a new bar, a new chain, new sprocket, new oiler and it showed it's appreciation by trying to take my finger off.
Can't blame it much though it was more my fault. I always tell my guys not to cut when they're tired because they will make mistakes. Well, when I went to the shed to get a coupe of saws, I found a hole in the roof - been having some issues with raccoons. By the time I patched it, I was pretty tired but decided to buck some logs anyway. I started off by using the little top handle to clear the wood pile of some kindling size pieces. I know it's dangerous but I often hold the small pieces with my left hand and use the right hand one-handed to cut the pieces up.
A short piece of pear wood had a crotch and as I held one of the ends and cut the other, the chain grabbed (remember it's a new chain) the crotch and it twisted in my hand making the saw jump up against my pointer finger on my left hand.
I was wearing Oregon chain saw safety gloves and they got pretty shredded but they did help slightly to minimize the wound. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of kevlar or whatever on the fingers. The gloves are made more for protecting the back of the hand.
So, I still have all my fingers and I'm down a little on blood, and I'm interested to see what the scar will look like. No, I didn't go to the doctor - I once helped my father tape on the end of the thumb that he cut off with an axe and it healed fine.
But I need to replace the safety gloves - first time in thirty years of cutting (they usually wear out from handling wood not from cuts). I called the saw shop and they were out of the safety gloves. I called a hardware store that carries Stihl and they had Stihl Pro Gloves. I ended up with a pair of those because I have wood to cut today but I'm not sure if I got what I really need.
Should I keep and use the Stihl gloves or should I go back to safety gloves? I was a little disappointed in the protection offered by the Oregon gloves as far as fingers go and the Stihl gloves have knuckle guards that are made out of some sort of rubber that I'm not sure will protect much but put a little more material between the saw and your fingers.
The guy at the hardware store kept trying to talk me into cut resistant kevlar gloves but they fit tight to the fingers and it says they are not resistant to moving cutting tools and/or serrated blades.
So, after this long-winded post, what's your experience and what are your recommendations?

I've been cutting with a little top-handle for limbs and such for probably thirty years. I recently treated it to a new bar, a new chain, new sprocket, new oiler and it showed it's appreciation by trying to take my finger off.
Can't blame it much though it was more my fault. I always tell my guys not to cut when they're tired because they will make mistakes. Well, when I went to the shed to get a coupe of saws, I found a hole in the roof - been having some issues with raccoons. By the time I patched it, I was pretty tired but decided to buck some logs anyway. I started off by using the little top handle to clear the wood pile of some kindling size pieces. I know it's dangerous but I often hold the small pieces with my left hand and use the right hand one-handed to cut the pieces up.
A short piece of pear wood had a crotch and as I held one of the ends and cut the other, the chain grabbed (remember it's a new chain) the crotch and it twisted in my hand making the saw jump up against my pointer finger on my left hand.
I was wearing Oregon chain saw safety gloves and they got pretty shredded but they did help slightly to minimize the wound. Unfortunately there's not a whole lot of kevlar or whatever on the fingers. The gloves are made more for protecting the back of the hand.
So, I still have all my fingers and I'm down a little on blood, and I'm interested to see what the scar will look like. No, I didn't go to the doctor - I once helped my father tape on the end of the thumb that he cut off with an axe and it healed fine.
But I need to replace the safety gloves - first time in thirty years of cutting (they usually wear out from handling wood not from cuts). I called the saw shop and they were out of the safety gloves. I called a hardware store that carries Stihl and they had Stihl Pro Gloves. I ended up with a pair of those because I have wood to cut today but I'm not sure if I got what I really need.
Should I keep and use the Stihl gloves or should I go back to safety gloves? I was a little disappointed in the protection offered by the Oregon gloves as far as fingers go and the Stihl gloves have knuckle guards that are made out of some sort of rubber that I'm not sure will protect much but put a little more material between the saw and your fingers.
The guy at the hardware store kept trying to talk me into cut resistant kevlar gloves but they fit tight to the fingers and it says they are not resistant to moving cutting tools and/or serrated blades.
So, after this long-winded post, what's your experience and what are your recommendations?

Youch! Sounds like you got to close to the chain,I learned long ago 2 hands on the saw and keep your body and face away from the kickback zone.

I have a pair of Youngstown Kevlar gloves, from Baileys.

Very comfy for me, size is great to squirmy hands, but haven't tested the Kevlar. I also have some of their antivibe gloves to try out. This is on top of 2 pairs of husky gloves, but only one has a Kevlar insert in the back of the hand.

As far as I know there isn't any glove made that will protect from a moving saw chain... gloves are more for protection from possible abrasions, splinters, cuts and what not from contact with the wood and bark, accidental contact with a stationary saw chain and hot surfaces on the saw. If gloves were made to protect from a moving saw chain they'd be so thick and heavy they'd be useless.

Youch! Sounds like you got to close to the chain,I learned long ago 2 hands on the saw and keep your body and face away from the kickback zone.

I tell myself this all the time, and dang if i dont find myself straying from time to time. You really have to make a full time conscientious effort. I dont want to find out the hard way.

Top handle saws....

Unless you REALLY need a top handle saw, I'd stay away from them. If not, having a few solid operating principles (two hands, no body parts in the kick back area, etc) would be a fine idea. The placement of the handles gives you much less leverage than with a regular saw. They look like fun, but they are fundamentally more dangerous. I'll leave those little fellers in the hands of the professionals.

Glad it wasn't more serious... Hope your finger heals up well!

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to hear from folks that understand and care.
I knew all the reasons for being careful with a top handle and while I'm not a "pro", I have been operating this and other saws for a long time. I just let my guard down for a moment and did what I would have never done with a twisted branch if I had been as careful as usual. You know how you see it coming and say to yourself, "I know better than this."
The Oregon gloves were way better than nothing but I was just wearing some Lowe's winter insulated gloves to split up some of the kindling pieces I cut yesterday and I think they would have afforded as much protection in the fingers as the chainsaw glove.
I guess for now, I'll try the Stihl gloves and hope I don't need their kind of protection.
But I would still like to hear from anybody who uses the Sthil gloves to see if they have ever had an encounter with a saw chain and thought they helped cut (pun intended) down on the injury.
Meanwhile, I have some wood to buck up. I want to do it to prove to myself that I can work without injury. I hope I don't have to post about another "incident" ever again.:cheers:

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to hear from folks that understand and care.
I knew all the reasons for being careful with a top handle and while I'm not a "pro", I have been operating this and other saws for a long time. I just let my guard down for a moment and did what I would have never done with a twisted branch if I had been as careful as usual. You know how you see it coming and say to yourself, "I know better than this."
The Oregon gloves were way better than nothing but I was just wearing some Lowe's winter insulated gloves to split up some of the kindling pieces I cut yesterday and I think they would have afforded as much protection in the fingers as the chainsaw glove.
I guess for now, I'll try the Stihl gloves and hope I don't need their kind of protection.
But I would still like to hear from anybody who uses the Sthil gloves to see if they have ever had an encounter with a saw chain and thought they helped cut (pun intended) down on the injury.
Meanwhile, I have some wood to buck up. I want to do it to prove to myself that I can work without injury. I hope I don't have to post about another "incident" ever again.:cheers:

Don't let it get infected soak it in Epsom salts and hot water.

I have found there are few outdoor tasks that can"t be performed as well

in three finger mittens as in gloves, and they are more comfortable. Protective equipment makers should look at producing that type of hand guard.

I find that balsamic vinegar works best. It adds a little flavor to the cut. The wife looks at me funny when I jump around the kitchen though.
All is good. The cuts are starting to heal over even though it's only been twenty four hours. I guess it's from the bourbon I've been drinking.

I find that balsamic vinegar works best. It adds a little flavor to the cut. The wife looks at me funny when I jump around the kitchen though.
All is good. The cuts are starting to heal over even though it's only been twenty four hours. I guess it's from the bourbon I've been drinking.

:rock::hmm3grin2orange::cool2:

As far as I know there isn't any glove made that will protect from a moving saw chain... gloves are more for protection from possible abrasions, splinters, cuts and what not from contact with the wood and bark, accidental contact with a stationary saw chain and hot surfaces on the saw. If gloves were made to protect from a moving saw chain they'd be so thick and heavy they'd be useless.

here is your answer. There are none that will protect you from a chainsaw. I have a pair of the Youngstown Kevlar. I called them about chainsaw application. They told me point blank they are not intended nor recommended for chainsaw protection, and they do not make any that are.

It turns out that there are a lot of different types and grades of 'cut-resistant' gloves for industry, depending upon whether the cut hazard is a knife, sharp steel edge, glass, etc.

The problem with a chainsaw is that it is likely to snag any fabric, including leather, and pull your hand into the moving teeth. That is why the materials in chainsaw protective chaps, and the backs of gloves as you note (and typically only the Left glove), are designed to snag and stall out a gasoline chainsaw, instead of preventing the tooth from cutting the flesh. They reduce the potential severity of the injury.

Respectfully, I think you need to reconsider your work methods. I know a lot of guys working in trees with top handled saws also hold onto branches they are cutting, so that they can throw them to their groundies, but that is not a good practice either.

Consider some type of saw buck, vise, or clamp to hold individual pieces (maybe a foot operated clamp to be quick) or a way to cut them in bulk. Check out this thread for some ideas: http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/186935.htm

Philbert

please be careful

I have been there, done that. Top handles are asking for ya to do stupid things like that. Leather gloves might have helped me a little the saw was spinning down. :eek: Yes, I still run them a lot with one hand. Always on the lookout for precession, and kick back. Don't mean much but with a 8 lb saw at 34cc it is enough to kick it pretty good.

you will be okay, and the scar is a reminder.

She's looking at you funny cause when you drink Bourbon you'd rather put your finger in sour grape juice than in cider.... That jumping around thing is also probably the Bourbon, and would not be an issue if you stuck it in cider.

Shark proof dive gloves??? I think they are chain linked. Prolly expensive but may be the best for touching a running chain???? Ditto on what everyone has stated.

Back