I treated it nice and it bit me - what safety gloves to get now?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask Jefflovstrom (a member here) about one of his guys that cut his leg a little with a hand saw and almost lost it due to an infection because saw aren't exactly clean.

Shark proof dive gloves??? I think they are chain linked. Prolly expensive but may be the best for touching a running chain????

I have used chain link gloves in meat packing plants. They are good for protection against knife buts (but not needle sticks). If a running chain grabbed your glove it would probably snag it, and drag your whole arm, or more, into the running chain.

I try to tell people: most people have 2 hands, chainsaws have 2 handles - that is not a coincidence.

Philbert

Chainsaws still scare me and I hope they always will. About the only time I've run one with one hand is while tuning in the wood, and I don't like that and don't do it that way anymore. Now I note the tuning in the wood, pull it out and stop the chain, adjust it and try again. Takes only a little longer.

I just don't see any need to hold the wood with one hand, it's never been something I've needed to do in many years of cutting. If you work your way from the small end to the large end then it should stay put so you can cut it. If it's small enough to be moving all around then it goes on the brush pile.

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your poor finger :( It will heal up soon! White Ox's are very good gloves and they wear them out west in serious logging operations and they stand up to there abuse. They are not safety gloves though but are very nice. I can PM you a link to them if you would like

Ask Jefflovstrom (a member here) about one of his guys that cut his leg a little with a hand saw and almost lost it due to an infection because saw aren't exactly clean.

That a very true statement. My silky saw has done more damage to my hands than anything else I think I up to 9 stitches I have recived from it and the wife keeps stitching me up after she rips the duck tape off my fresh wounds but seriously take care of your cuts because it can get worse quick. On the same note I would say to leave the top Handel saw to in the tree work they just are not made for ground espically cut and chuck ground operations I know I only do that while in the bucket and even then it still frowned upon. Stat safe

Turn in your Man Card Wolf,

'Vry body knows yer s'pposed to stick it in Cider.

Maybe you want to look at a some motorcycle road racing gloves that have armor?

That doesn't work. She just giggles and squirms around too much.
Seriously I'm glad it isn't a bad cut. I put one it my leg many years ago. It's a good wake-up call. DON'T BE COMPLACENT.

Latest posts

Back