Do you ever feel guilty dropping trees, especially big healthy ones?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dropped an oak this week which was probably 120 years old. It was badly fire-damaged at the butt where a face cut should go and was leaning heavily over a fire trail. As old as it was, and where it was located, it probably would have stood another 120 years. I dropped it because it would have blocked that fire trail if it fell, and I didn't want to take the time to buck it out of the way during a fire rather than during the off-season when time is not an issue. There is another oak right next to it in the same condition but which leans in the opposite direction. It stayed because it won't inconvenience me when it falls by natural causes. My conscience is clean.

Not really.................hug it prior!

The only time I had difficulty was when I harvested plantation Bluegum. I'd clear a coup with half a doz trees left standing scattered around the coup. If the Koala's hadn't moved out of the tree by then, I'd snip it off and let the tree down gently.

There were a few I should have left, oh well...

then arounnd here they leave a few big firs in this clear cut, well within the end of the season they've all blown down
Picture795.jpg
Picture796.jpg
Picture801.jpg
I could see leaving a small block with a couple big trees, but when they clear cut and leave a few firs its just ridiculous, specially on the top of these hills wind will take em down in no time. then again the waste of wood here is just ridiclous. There should be at least several parks places to protect the big trees, but in the end if theres a big tree in a block well I dont think that tree is gonna feed a guys family, or put a roof over a familys head by standing there. I know the firs here are small compared to others, theyre just bigger than the pine here
Picture811.jpg
Woulda loaded the truck up with some nice rounds if we had the quad with us to get even close to some blown down firs

Not guilty, no, but I do recognize and appreciate the fact that a tree is unusually large, strong and flat out beautiful when I have to (or well... get to :p) fell them.

The biggest birch I've felled was in a residential area, we took it down in pieces, and it was the biggest, best looking birch I've seen in a long long time. Shame it had to go, but it was its turn.

Since my job is to get rid of trees that are in the way, it becomes kinda pointless to save trees that are big and nice.

I felt really bad dropping a big, healthy Tasmanian Blue Gum last year. It was for firewood only and ended up a lot bigger than I thought. Beautiful trees. If I was getting paid to do it then I have no problem at all :cheers:

yes, but if i don't someone else will and i have bills just like the next guy.

and the cottonwoods around here cant feel guilty about them, big buggers will drop their tops and limbs like no other tree.

Some definately. I have refused to do jobs because I didnt agree with removing a great tree in a good place.
Its cost me a little but then I have gained great clients because of it, and a reputation thats got me more work currently than I can handle.

Gotta leave more in this world than pretty stumps

Last edited:
I thought God gave us saws because he hated trees...

You mean I have been wrong all this time?...crap...guess i am gonna need some straight gas...:msp_tongue:

and the cottonwoods around here cant feel guilty about them, big buggers will drop their tops and limbs like no other tree.

I have to say I have no great affinity for Cottonwoods.

A friend has them lining her driveway (about 200m) and the sunny side of her dressage arena and I really want to play dominoes with them, particularly the ones on the arena as they are directly under a three phase powerline and will be growing into them come spring. :dizzy:

Some definately. I have refused to do jobs because I didnt agree with removing a great tree in a good place.
Its cost me a little but then I have gained great clients because of it, and a reputation thats got me more work currently than I can handle.

Gotta leave more in this world than pretty stumps

Agreed :)

I have refused the odd one as well. But on the other hand, there are not a whole lot of really big.. really healthy trees around here. A lot may look not too bad from distance, but get up to them and they have hollow trunks, etc.. So back to original question -- big healthy ones.. do not really do a whole lot that would fit into that category.

Back