Got the Job.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guzzo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Those of you who read my previous threads, i was working for a lowdown private company, they gave me no chances. I now work for asplundh, I am a climber. Within weeks i have reformend into a great climber. been driving a truck, and i think im doing a damn good job.

I am really happy that it has come to this, i just bought a buckingham saddle, and still trying to get my own gear, i learned how to rope aswell. Today i was roping a a-pine over a 3 phase. phew a little scary but a-ok. if anyone has any advice to help me climb some more. Are there any techniques to trimming pepper trees? they cut me up bad, haha (whiner!!!) but it was fun. i love my job, and am looking to do this for a long long long time.

Its good to hear your enthusiasm. Just stay teachable and keep in mind that after (if) you get a few years experience you still have plenty to learn. We are always learning. I am thinking you are on the younger side and its cool that you are willing to do some hard work. Although I am not sure how hard ROW workers actually work :msp_tongue: I hear it depends on the supervisor for the area. I have never done ROW so I really dont know. I am just a residential tree guy. But anyway...here is some advice, take it for what its worth...Dont get caught up in any "gossipy" kinda ****. Just do your job. Ask questions and then keep ur mouth shut. Do what ur told n never argue (unless u think it unsafe). Never complain. Be on time. STAY OFF UR CELL PHONE. Buy a copy of "The Tree Climbers Companion" and HAVE FUN.

im very young, 18. i grew up with trees though. im hoping to become a foreman down the road. im going nack to work right now, ( on call ) talk soon. thank you for your advice.

I worked ROW for many years and it can and will be very hard and demanding at times especially when storms hit and you are gone for weeks at a time, just keep a good attitude about things and provide your boss with the best you can give and show your willingness to learn and you be alright.......

the most important thing to remember everyday, that power line can kill you very fast so respect it, you don't have to be scared of it, just respect it.....

one more thing, be ready to be treated like scum of the earth when you have to side trim someone's nice mature tree and they don't like it, it will happen at some point and time.....

what does ROW stand for? i already know about the being treated like scum. yesterday a man came out with a gun and threatened to kill us if we cut his tree. i was like wowww lol. I am not scared of the lines, but i definitally respect them. especially when im in a oak that is getting burned at the top touching lines. it is a little freaky, but hell.. what good is the job huh? lol.. Storm work is what i am waiting for, i heard it is rough, but the money is great. i am tieing a taut line, do you suggest otherwise, im 185 piunds, and the blakes is just to annoying to tie, rather then the 2 under 1 over taut.

i figured thats wat it ment. i love it. i've been there a week, already driving a f450 at work, and have the yard keys. i feel like im doing something right.

what does ROW stand for? i already know about the being treated like scum. yesterday a man came out with a gun and threatened to kill us if we cut his tree. i was like wowww lol. I am not scared of the lines, but i definitally respect them. especially when im in a oak that is getting burned at the top touching lines. it is a little freaky, but hell.. what good is the job huh? lol.. Storm work is what i am waiting for, i heard it is rough, but the money is great. i am tieing a taut line, do you suggest otherwise, im 185 piunds, and the blakes is just to annoying to tie, rather then the 2 under 1 over taut.
nothing wrong with the tautline knot, I've been using it since day one....

Thanks, the reason i ask, is because people tell me its more for speed then the blakes, therefore its more likely to slip. Which i have seen.. but i just throw my fig-8 and keep tightening the knot, and im fine. the blakes its just a bit a pain for me.

Something is rotten in Denmark on this thread :rolleyes2: A climber working over 3 phase that doesn't know what ROW work is ... Or is the heat getting too me ...

Like i said. i have previous experiance. not the best in the world. but i know my minimum app. distances and what not. i can get the job done. maybe not as fast as a master climber, but im safe and dependent. soon will be fast maybe :)

I have tried many different hitch set up, I like to keep it simple fast and as bullet proof as possible... without spending a million bucks. This is what I got:

020-1.jpg

I have tried many different hitch set up, I like to keep it simple fast and as bullet proof as possible... without spending a million bucks. This is what I got:

020-1.jpg

Did you paint that cut with latex or oil based paint? Last time I saw a painted cut and hitch without a pulley the photo was in black and white.

Did you paint that cut with latex or oil based paint? Last time I saw a painted cut and hitch without a pulley the photo was in black and white.

I used synthetic bark, its called Lac Balsam, its used for grafting too. I put it on there for asthetics and I get irritated with those little pulleys in my climbing hitch. Sometimes I use one but not often and not for long.

I used synthetic bark, its called Lac Balsam, its used for grafting too. I put it on there for asthetics and I get irritated with those little pulleys in my climbing hitch. Sometimes I use one but not often and not for long.

For aesthetics I use dirt. That chestnut couldn't compartmentalize that 2 inch wound to the left it's not gonna handle a 6 inch cut very well, even with a fancy paint job. Shigo wrote a few articles about the balsac sauce, seems like a waste of time and money.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back