What Size Chainsaws Are IDEAL for Trimming Hedges??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samuelanali

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My neighbor requested me to trim his hedges and I don't know what size chainsaw (cc) is ideal for the job (Btw, I've never trimmed hedges before!) How long guide bar should I choose for the job?

Also, If you've got any PRO TIPS for me, I'm all ears!

Aren't you a brother of Hipa store? Your threads sure look similar.
My thoughts exactly.

Trying to trim hedges with a chainsaw is a good way to make the chain come off. (BTDT with a big saw...not fun.)

My hunch is that a hedge trimmer would work better for trimming hedges...cutting firewood, not so much.

Good luck

85-95cc saw with a 48" bar would work good.
Gotta have at least 6 cubic inches, for sure, Muff modded and some port work is what the pros do to their saws for Hedges, slotting the cam gear can get another whole HP of torque on the blades, and you can pull a 60". Sharpening them? Ya gotta hand file those bad boys with a 1.25 round file, its the only way. The guys that race Hot Trimmers will even square grind with 1.5 triangluar pattern filing, but they dull alot faster, but they are running jet fuel and alcohol at 16:1.......

What kind of hedge?

I just started googling this OP’s name, it appears he’s an “author” for a site called powertoolsavvy. Everything he’s posting here is also on that site as well as Reddit. The address on that site checks out as a house in El Paso, but I’m suspecting this is an AI bot harvesting info here and other places to develop a site for their owner whomever that is.

OP, if you are real and asking a real question, I suggest not trying it yourself, I don’t see much in the way of hedges in street view at your neighbors houses and if there is, you could trim them by hand with a scissors style pruner.

I just started googling this OP’s name, it appears he’s an “author” for a site called powertoolsavvy. Everything he’s posting here is also on that site as well as Reddit. The address on that site checks out as a house in El Paso, but I’m suspecting this is an AI bot harvesting info here and other places to develop a site for their owner whomever that is.

OP, if you are real and asking a real question, I suggest not trying it yourself, I don’t see much in the way of hedges in street view at your neighbors houses and if there is, you could trim them by hand with a scissors style pruner.

I'm a REAL person!

If you're from El Paso and would like to confirm it, feel free to come by and give me a pinch!

And, THANKS for checking out my blog. I publish regularly. (Do my articles really sound like AI?)

How wide is the hedge? depending on that measurement, get a bar that is that length or longer.. one or two passes over the top and its done, and looks way better than using a shorter bar.

My neighbor requested me to trim his hedges and I don't know what size chainsaw (cc) is ideal for the job (Btw, I've never trimmed hedges before!) How long guide bar should I choose for the job?

Also, If you've got any PRO TIPS for me, I'm all ears!
None.

I should state, I used a chainsaw to do this before, but as many people have suggested, it is better to not use one for this purpose, there re better options...

The problem with sickle bar hedge trimmers is the maximum size twig they will cut is pretty small, so if you are doing any deep trimming they don't work. There are special blades for trimmers that will do the job and chainsaws will as well but they are not for the faint of heart and you have to keep the chain tight or it will come off regularly.

Latest posts

Back