Must haves in a bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Junior, I'm too old to climb.

Might do something with Alternative Energy.Maybe not. I'm not sold on the idea yet as I think it's a passing thing. Examples would be wind power and solar.
Or power distribution working on the grid, It's old a lot of it has to go underground.
Maybe the odd tree here and there not really sure.
I know one thing, we need to get our act together as far as Jobs go so we can start working again. We also need government to get out of the way so we can build things and in turn start buying again. There's alot of moving parts here, and I don't have a crystal ball.

Another thought would be to buy heavy equipment at auction repair and sell it.
I don't really care as other people would be doing most of the work.
Maybe I'll even hire people and pay them a nice wage like the old days :msp_thumbup:

Always wear a harness the bucket leveling system is the weakest link!

Thanks for the tip. I did not know that ! I was always amazed how machinery articulated.
like that a lull delivering a skid of bricks fifty feet high thru a window.

Thanks for the info. I'll store it. :msp_thumbup:

Always wear a harness the bucket leveling system is the weakest link!

Always do, we have always been pretty strict on safety from beginning, what we lacked in the bucket initially was the climbing rope. Thanks for the concern, we don't always see those things until there is a crisis..then think..."now that would be a good idea"

Last edited:
As I look for Bucket trucks with a Forestry package, I find some pretty good deals on gas powered trucks with pony motors. I have been leaning toward the Diesels though most dont have a pony motor. What do you guys think a gas truck with a pony or a Diesel without?

As I look for Bucket trucks with a Forestry package, I find some pretty good deals on gas powered trucks with pony motors. I have been leaning toward the Diesels though most dont have a pony motor. What do you guys think a gas truck with a pony or a Diesel without?

Get a diesel do you have any hills ? How much will the chipper weigh? Gas motors dont pull !

I am looking for a used bucket/chip truck. What are the non-negotiables in features I should look for? Recommendations for companies in the midwest that sell them? I saw several on Treetrader.

Stay away from schmidys

Note to self ...... always extra rope in bucket. A harness wouldn't be bad either. :msp_tongue:

Not only that, but learn to use it in a hurry.

You need an escape route, a rappel rope that can be quickly attached to the bucket in case you get into deep do do while you're working and need to get out of it in a hurry.

Great time to learn to rappel Aussie style, or any style for that matter.

Thanks for the advise. I am looking at an old Nelson truck with a Intl. 444 diesel which is a little smaller for a Diesel but prob. still more power than a gas.
Then I need to track down another chipper to pull behind it. Repainted my old Vermeer yesterday, still runs good now at least it looks better.

and yes I do have to do some in house rappelling training.

Thanks for the advise. I am looking at an old Nelson truck with a Intl. 444 diesel which is a little smaller for a Diesel but prob. still more power than a gas.
Then I need to track down another chipper to pull behind it. Repainted my old Vermeer yesterday, still runs good now at least it looks better.

and yes I do have to do some in house rappelling training.

I have a '97 ex-Nelson forestry unit with a 444. I have almost ran it a year and I think it's wonderful. You are not going to win any drag races that's for sure but I know my saws are sharp so can be speedy on the job. I have found that the radiator seems small and pulls in a lot of chips so make sure you keep it blown out but is probably the case with any truck. I intend to make a screen to cover it. It seems to really be good on fuel. It never shuts off on a jobsite and a tank just seems to last forever. Would like a truck with a DT466 but don't know how much extra power and fuel consumption there would be. The 7.3 (444) has a very proven track record but so does the 466. IDK, I just love my International. Diesels are the only way to go....my .02

I have a '97 ex-Nelson forestry unit with a 444. I have almost ran it a year and I think it's wonderful. You are not going to win any drag races that's for sure but I know my saws are sharp so can be speedy on the job. I have found that the radiator seems small and pulls in a lot of chips so make sure you keep it blown out but is probably the case with any truck. I intend to make a screen to cover it. It seems to really be good on fuel. It never shuts off on a jobsite and a tank just seems to last forever. Would like a truck with a DT466 but don't know how much extra power and fuel consumption there would be. The 7.3 (444) has a very proven track record but so does the 466. IDK, I just love my International. Diesels are the only way to go....my .02

Thanks Swyman, that is great to hear, one comes into these things somewhat blind so it is good to get some feedback from someone who has the equipment. This one has the Hi-Ranger boom which comes highly recommended by a guy here who works on them, so should be a good unit. Now I am still wrapping my brain around another big expense of another truck and chipper...

Thanks Swyman, that is great to hear, one comes into these things somewhat blind so it is good to get some feedback from someone who has the equipment. This one has the Hi-Ranger boom which comes highly recommended by a guy here who works on them, so should be a good unit. Now I am still wrapping my brain around another big expense of another truck and chipper...

Mine has a TECO boom. I tried like hell to find a setup with a Hi-Ranger XT55 but came across a smoking deal but the boom has really worked nice. Found a good company to work on it, getting updates and a new bucket as we speak. Have been told hi-rangers are a good boom and parts are generally cheaper but that is just hear say. Good luck and make sure you get a good chipper.

Mine has a TECO boom. I tried like hell to find a setup with a Hi-Ranger XT55 but came across a smoking deal but the boom has really worked nice. Found a good company to work on it, getting updates and a new bucket as we speak. Have been told hi-rangers are a good boom and parts are generally cheaper but that is just hear say. Good luck and make sure you get a good chipper.

Bandit makes a good chipper.

Thanks for the advice guys, it has been very helpful. Last year was a heavy year of investment in equipment, looks like this year might as well, but we have the jobs and the help so you just have to plow ahead.

A few thoughts.

Over center boom
Material handler 1000-1500lbs
3126 cat or dt466
I much prefer Rear mount for MY operation
Lower winch controls
engine start/stop in bucket
Check play in the turret bearing 8-10k replace cost.
check play in knuckle bearings
check cable dates
check hyd cylinders for pitting. 3k per cylinder

I run an 855 Altec. Plentiful under 35k range mounted on a decent truck.

A few thoughts.

Over center boom
Material handler 1000-1500lbs
3126 cat or dt466
I much prefer Rear mount for MY operation
Lower winch controls
engine start/stop in bucket
Check play in the turret bearing 8-10k replace cost.
check play in knuckle bearings
check cable dates
check hyd cylinders for pitting. 3k per cylinder

I run an 855 Altec. Plentiful under 35k range mounted on a decent truck.

I think a material handler would really come in handy and a rear mount if you have enough help (to drive the chip truck)

Back