Must haves in a bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few thoughts.

Over center boom
Material handler 1000-1500lbs
3126 cat or dt466
I much prefer Rear mount for MY operation
Lower winch controls
engine start/stop in bucket
Check play in the turret bearing 8-10k replace cost.
check play in knuckle bearings
check cable dates
check hyd cylinders for pitting. 3k per cylinder

I run an 855 Altec. Plentiful under 35k range mounted on a decent truck.

Good list, thanks. I know the rear mount is prefered, I have a Hinowa 76ft light lift that gets us into any tree we have here so this truck will be a gap filler and dual purpose truck when the LL76 is tied up on another site. The material handler...is that a wench mounted near the bucket like the utility trucks?

Mine has a TECO boom. I tried like hell to find a setup with a Hi-Ranger XT55 but came across a smoking deal but the boom has really worked nice. Found a good company to work on it, getting updates and a new bucket as we speak. Have been told hi-rangers are a good boom and parts are generally cheaper but that is just hear say. Good luck and make sure you get a good chipper.

If you dont mind my asking, what did you have to give for your Nelson?

Thats correct. I believe most are hyd. winches. Real time saver in so many ways. I don't know how others get along without them. I hang limbs with a lanyard and then hoist them out with the winch when there is a tight DZ or on take outs of broad trees where I can't reach the other side. Saves having to reset the truck if thats even possible. Also when chunking down large pieces you can cut the desired piece flat so it just sits there then reposition the winch over it and lift it right off and swing over obstacles. 1500 lbs is a big chunck of wood but usually I try to limit it to half that. The Altec Mech. assures me the 855 could probably do an additional 1000lbs before you start folding metal but I'll not test that out.

If you dont mind my asking, what did you have to give for your Nelson?

$13K. I went to aution after auction last spring and watched unpainted (still in big companies colors and lettering) rusted POS go for crazy money??? They had a couple Ashplund elevators that were total junk that went for $43k plus a 10% buyers fee plus tax?? They all needed tons of work to fix. They had about 30 forestry units and even the ones that would not start went for $13-15k. I just happened to look on tree trader and the guy put it on that morning and was local. Bought it that day. I had a hell of a time, looking all the way to Florida and was getting ready to fly down there to buy, glad I didn't. My truck is very clean, shiny paint, interior is perfect, even had A/C but I pulled the condensor off the front so I can clean the radiator of scrapnal. I feel I was very lucky and love what I have. Just try to be patient but it gets to be hard when you want to get out there and make some money!

Thats correct. I believe most are hyd. winches. Real time saver in so many ways. I don't know how others get along without them. I hang limbs with a lanyard and then hoist them out with the winch when there is a tight DZ or on take outs of broad trees where I can't reach the other side. Saves having to reset the truck if thats even possible. Also when chunking down large pieces you can cut the desired piece flat so it just sits there then reposition the winch over it and lift it right off and swing over obstacles. 1500 lbs is a big chunck of wood but usually I try to limit it to half that. The Altec Mech. assures me the 855 could probably do an additional 1000lbs before you start folding metal but I'll not test that out.

That is awesome!!!!!

$13K. I went to aution after auction last spring and watched unpainted (still in big companies colors and lettering) rusted POS go for crazy money??? They had a couple Ashplund elevators that were total junk that went for $43k plus a 10% buyers fee plus tax?? They all needed tons of work to fix. They had about 30 forestry units and even the ones that would not start went for $13-15k. I just happened to look on tree trader and the guy put it on that morning and was local. Bought it that day. I had a hell of a time, looking all the way to Florida and was getting ready to fly down there to buy, glad I didn't. My truck is very clean, shiny paint, interior is perfect, even had A/C but I pulled the condensor off the front so I can clean the radiator of scrapnal. I feel I was very lucky and love what I have. Just try to be patient but it gets to be hard when you want to get out there and make some money!

Wow that is a blessing, the one I am looking at is 29K unpainted. Guess I better listen to my wife and look some more (though I wont be telling her what you paid) Thanks again for the info, at least I know it is possible. At that price you could add a decent chipper and still be where I am seeing alot of trucks going for.

Yeah, "folding metal" are not too words you want to use to describe your day at work. Is that a possible after market add on or do you need to look for it up front...

Yeah, "folding metal" are not too words you want to use to describe your day at work. Is that a possible after market add on or do you need to look for it up front...

I believe you can add onto some sticks but you need to check with the manufacture first.

Wow that is a blessing, the one I am looking at is 29K unpainted. Guess I better listen to my wife and look some more (though I wont be telling her what you paid) Thanks again for the info, at least I know it is possible. At that price you could add a decent chipper and still be where I am seeing alot of trucks going for.

I was looking at spending 30k to then would of had nothing left for a chipper. I was leery of the boom, dead set on a XT55 but couldn't refuse. The truck was so clean and boom even looked nice. It's tough to find one on a budget and when your on the down side of winter. I passed up on a lot of decent deals in Jan and Feb then while at the Daytona 500 we got hit with that massive ice/snow storm. Tree businesses were all over town just cashing in. I had an account full of money but no equipment. Then there was that huge jjkane auction coming up with like I said about 30 forestry units from ashplund, nelson and a few power co so I quit looking. There were 3 I wanted to bid on and the rest were total crap. Day of auction was a disaster. Florida truck sales had a few nice looking units but would never return my calls or answer the phone. Just keep looking, I will keep my eyes open.

Here is a hypothetical for you. Would it have been worth it to you to have paid $10K more to have the equipment in place when the storms hit? We seem to have a new normal with extreme weather now not to mention disease and insects taking out trees in our area holding out for a great deal could cost more to sit it out. I would love to find a deal like that but I need to also consider what the costs are to wait. Let me know if you here of anything. I will beat the bush this month then may just pull the trigger.

Here is a hypothetical for you. Would it have been worth it to you to have paid $10K more to have the equipment in place when the storms hit? We seem to have a new normal with extreme weather now not to mention disease and insects taking out trees in our area holding out for a great deal could cost more to sit it out. I would love to find a deal like that but I need to also consider what the costs are to wait. Let me know if you here of anything. I will beat the bush this month then may just pull the trigger.

Don't know how much money I missed out on, there were companies from all over so there about 1-2 weeks of heavy work. Be very picky on a truck, the guy I bought mine from bought a 2000 intenational with a 60' Altec and a 466 engine. He could not get it going and had to have it fixed before he could use it so we agreed for him to keep my truck till his "new" one was fixed. I didn't have much of a choice, didn't want to piss him off and not get the truck. But my point is like.with him, he spent $30k plus on a scuff and shoot. Truck was beautiful but mechanically crap. He bought it somewhere in PA and also told me when he picked it up he had to stay the night there because something wasn't right. It was from one of those places that buys and sells. It be beneficial to spend a little extra on one that has all the certs and updates. It sucks man, I was there. Just be cautious.

Sounds like he got rid of a good truck for a lesser one plus dbl the price. You were very fortunate.

Sounds like he got rid of a good truck for a lesser one plus dbl the price. You were very fortunate.

I'm sure he got it dialed in. Mine is only a 57' WH, 60' would be better and a 75' elevator would be my dream. But for me to upgrade to a 60'? How much could I justify for 3'?

Think he means a crane would be worthless if you could not climb up in the tree to rig the pieces.

that was my point

Junior, I'm too old to climb.

Didn't mean to come across sounding like a d##k, just read a lot of threads of guys asking about buying bucket trucks and starting a tree service with pretty much no experience in the field. I thought that was where this was going. My bad :cheers:

Swyman, looking at the pictures of the truck online what is your impression of this truck? You mentioned that when you were looking you wanted the HiRanger lift. Has the Teco worked out well for you, any problems or would it be worth spending a little more for a Hi Ranger or Alltec? Has the height been adequate for you? There is another Nelson truck I have been looking at that is 10K more (doubt it is worth that much more), but it does have the Hi Ranger lift and has been gone through mechanically . I would be open to spending a little more for the taller All tec if it was next door. Being another 400 miles further that is one more strike against it.

Swyman, Contacted the seller, it was already sold. He did say he had some issues with the TECO lift. His new lift is a Hi-Ranger. Thanks again for giving me the heads up on that unit though. I will keep looking.

Latest posts

Back