2 cycle Oil - Synthetic or Not to Synthetic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember a time when dino was recomended for the run in time for the engine so that the rings could seat better and thus giving the maximum output for a engine. But I have also been using full synthetic from the beginning recently.

belray mc-1 full synthetic

In 40 years of professional saw torture,I've never been happier/had more confidence than MC-1.Senor Evans/Mastermind put me onto it.Saws seem a little peppier.

Stihl Ultra synthetic all the way, less carbon, ethanol stabilzers, why else would Stihl double the warranty of a new saw to two years with a six pack of Ultra mix with a new saw purchase.

They do the same up here with the old dino oil. 2 year warranty with six pack of regular Stihl oil. 6 pack of synthetic is not available here.

The synthetic oil is available from the stihl dealer on lower Sackville drive! He has the large bottles! Get it there. I run it in my ms362, bg55, fs50 and ms192t. It's good so far, however I'm led to believe it doesn't have fuel stabilizer in it.

Most things that say 2 stroke engine oil air cooled are fine.

Straight dino oil is getting harder to come by...most people who run lots of stihl orange bottle will claim that there is deposit buildup over time.

Many top end 2 cycle oils are synthetic blend. Husky XP, Echo powerblend etc. This is good stuff.

Stihl Ultra and some other stuff is pure synthetic.

Pick your poison keep your gas mix fresh and any other of these oils will be beyond fine.

The business of synth in a used saw that you mention doesnt really make sense...there's a possibility that if theres lots of #### built up and your synth or any oil has lots of detergent/cleaning qualities to it it may loosen some crap; unless there are tons of it I find it unlikely that there will be enough release to cause any sort of damage to the P&C. You may find that there is some fouling of the screen in the muffler if it is equipped, however. That seems fairly common and is not unreasonable.

I ran the Stihl Ultra and liked it alot but the dealers in my area quit stocking the big bottles and it started even getting hard to find the small 1 gallon sizes. Iswitched to the Baileys Woodsman Pro synthetic. I have a bottle or 2 thrown in with each order. I think I'm switching to the Poulan oil from Walley World next. Can't beat the price on that.

The cost makes a difference, but I've started buying Stihl ultra quart bottle packs and measuring it out. CHEAPER for me that way.

I run synthetic in all my stuff. Fewer problems. With the cost of a new saw. The price of synthetic oils and non oxy premium gas is CHEAP. Do yourself a favor and use a good synthetic oil and non oxy premium gas.

:popcorn: gotta buy some oil when i drive 30km to the nearest town, Id be happy if I find some Synthetic, but its usually just stihl HP

Oh boy, can of worms here :( What gas, where are you? Ethanol in your area? Why run 92 if you don't have too? KISS - if the saw runs good on lesser grade, the fuel is simpler and cleaner. 92 has additives to delay flame propagation (Anti-knock). Those additives can mess with your oil choice and so can ethanol.

So air cooled two strokes biggest problems is top ring heat. The rings build carbon and sludge in the lands and stick. Bingo, loss of compression. Enough that hard carbon and flame can scorch a ring land, then we are on the way to scoring and a trashed P&C. Once you start depositing aluminum on the bore, it's only a matter of time till you toss the P&C.

Synthetics are great at resisting heat. If it works with your gas, good. If not, well you'll find out. BUT, synthetics are bad at gap filling and have poor surface tension so they don't stay on bearings and such as well as Dino oil - it's called drain-off and it's a well documented phenomena.

To get oils that will withstand the heat, they must either be USA API TC rated, or Euro EG-D rated. I like Motul 710, but there are a LOT of good oils out there - even Valvoline makes an EG-D rated two stroke oil that works well and is much cheaper than Ultra. I blend the Motul 75%/25% with dino oil. Just a touch of dino will stay on the bearings if you store your saws for more than a few days before being run. The bigger fraction of synthetic will keep the rings free and wet in the lands so they can do their job and everyone's happy :)

Go to your big auto parts chains and look for 2T oils. If they are rated EG-D, they are in the same neighborhood as Ultra. If you can't find them around, stick with good saw brand oils.

How do I know this stuff, been building 2 strokes for over 40 years - dirt bikes & boats (race), saws, pumps, you name it. Never had an oil related failure except on running dino oil too lean and the motor too hot. Even synthetics run at 40:1 in my world. Oil is so much cheaper than a motor or down time when you need to be cuttin :bang:

Last edited:
:popcorn: gotta buy some oil when i drive 30km to the nearest town, Id be happy if I find some Synthetic, but its usually just stihl HP

Same drive for me but the Husky/Honda/Toro/Shinny dealer also stock Motul for the bike crowd, so 710 and 800 2T are always on the shelf.

If you have a Castrol stockist, Power 1 Racing TTS should be available too, although it gives me a headache it's an excellent oil, or if a bike shop stocks Silkolene, I wouldn't hesitate to use Pro SX 2T.

Last edited:
Back