Stihl "synthetic" mix. "Biodegradeable" really means Useless in a week after mixed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Teflon starts to quickly turn in to all kinds of nasty crap at about 450°. Then it stops being teflon or adhered to the pan. Easy to get a pan to there. Old, well told story.

I’d bet on a simple misunderstanding with the dealer. Amazing to those here, but most people are shocked that years old gas isn’t good anymore.

However Teflon is harmless…it was banned by environuts simply because…
More like just confused…

it is horrible what companies do to placate the environuts…it does nothing but confuse real people for no reason.

I was watching Homstead Rescue and the one environut landowner made them use vegetable oil for bar oil because otherwise it would harm the environment….

It’s a clown world….

So I'm a nut for preferring to not spray petroleum oil around where I don't need to??? Also, the chemicals used to produce Teflon have shown toxicity at incredibly low levels - a few parts per trillion. Look up PFAS and PFOS. Maybe there are bigger risks to worry about, but your arrogance at belittling people who do care show it's a clown world all right...

esean quote

‘So I'm a nut for preferring to not spray petroleum oil around where I don't need to??? Also, the chemicals used to produce Teflon have shown toxicity at incredibly low levels - a few parts per trillion. Look up PFAS and PFOS. Maybe there are bigger risks to worry about, but your arrogance at belittling people who do care show it's a clown world all right...’

I don’t care what you do, just dont tell me what to do…

and Teflon is inert…sorry…

However Teflon is harmless…it was banned by environuts simply because…
Teflon hasn't been banned. It's used everywhere. What was banned was the use of a specific surfactant (PFOA) in a manufacturing process for PTFE, due to evidence that both traces remaining in the finished product are dangerous when ingested and that direct human exposure from manufacturing plant leaks was a concern. DuPont appears able to manufacture PTFE now without using PFOA.

Teflon hasn't been banned. It's used everywhere. What was banned was the use of a specific surfactant (PFOA) in a manufacturing process for PTFE, due to evidence that both traces remaining in the finished product are dangerous when ingested and that direct human exposure from manufacturing plant leaks was a concern. DuPont appears able to manufacture PTFE now without using PFOA.
Actually, the chemicals that are used to make Teflon weren’t banned either, they were regulated out of existence….if the USA bans something, the government has to pay the bill…it’s just semantics…

teflon is still inert…but it can no longer be made…todays alternative is something different.

I do notice a little harder starts with red armor at a fat 40;1 , but once the equipment is running its golden , everything runs that now , non ethanol mixed with red armor at 40:1 , all the saws , weed eaters , blower

That seems to be what I get from this thread, so far, at least using the oil I now have. Which Stihl itself says "biodegrades" about 80% in 21 days.

I've no idea what that really means, if it simply loses 80% of it's lubricating properties, or if it also "sours" the mix and affects performance.

Either way, it does not seem prudent to risk it.

Had I known that was their definition of "biodegradeable", I'd have never have bought it to begin with. I just figured it would break down quicker if spilled as raw oil or mix.

I'm sure I won't buy any more of it. I might still use the regular Stihl or try the other brands mentioned.
I used to run HP for yrs and use 87 oct. and leave my weed hacker tank full all winter, and it would start every spring on 2nd or 3rd pull. I would also mix up a 2.5 gal can, and would have anywhere between 2/3-1/4 of the can empty and I would let that set all winter long too. did that for a few yrs. Then I was told about Star-Tron, and was told to use 89 min. and i did that for yrs before I switched from that to 90 E free. The one thing i noticed about using HP earl, is it doesn't like being mixed richer than 50:1. I NOW run Schaeffers 9000 syn. 50:1 weed hackers, and chainsaws I run 32:1, and I still put in Star-Tron in my mixed cans and my jerry cans when i fill them up, which I am about 1/2 way thru, since i bought a ton of jerry cans and filled them up back in Feb of 2020 LOL.

While I was chasing a hard start problem on an 029 super, with "fresh mix", I was astonished to read that Stihl synthetic 2-cycle oil "biodegradable" really means it degrades in by 80% 21 days AFTER MIXING. I got this off of the Sthil USA web site.

That seems to mean any mix must be used almost immediately and will be "degraded" significantly in only a week. Can this be correct?

I'd go back to the standard orange bottle, but was told by the dealer I bough the synthetic from that once synthetic was run, you could never go back. Is that true?

Please help me grapple with those two points.
He lied, run whatever you want to. If they claim it degrades in 21 days then switch to another brand of oil.

I believe what they are talking about as far as degrading 80% in 21 days is what is exhausted after combustion. Most of the synthetic lubricating oil is not burnt but simply atomized after the lubrication/combustion/ejection process and then released into the surrounding environment. It's from this point onward is when it starts to degrade.
I don't think ultra looses any of it's lubrication properties when sitting, mixed with gas in an air tight container no matter how long it sits. The gas will certainly go bad but not the oil.

Looks like my lifelong reasoning of never using lubricants with a manufacturers name on it has served me well for a reason.

Manufacturers aren't in the business of making your engine last forever, regardless of what it's in, from weedwhackers to pickup trucks. With that in mind, I go with the best oil I can buy. Amsoil fits that bill for me.

While I was chasing a hard start problem on an 029 super, with "fresh mix", I was astonished to read that Stihl synthetic 2-cycle oil "biodegradable" really means it degrades in by 80% 21 days AFTER MIXING. I got this off of the Sthil USA web site.

That seems to mean any mix must be used almost immediately and will be "degraded" significantly in only a week. Can this be correct?

I'd go back to the standard orange bottle, but was told by the dealer I bough the synthetic from that once synthetic was run, you could never go back. Is that true?

Please help me grapple with those two points.
The dealer is lying to you about never going back. In any case biodegradation requires water. If there is no water in your fuel, biodegradation will not occur.

Teflon will stay in your body beyond your life time. That's what your frying pan coating is made of, unless you use ceramic or iron. I use iron pans to fry my meat and fish, no dangerous chemicals delivered to my ancestors by me.
Your American industry would certainly prefer it otherwise.
Actually, grilling meat and frying meat creates tar and nitrosamines, both of which are toxic and carcinogenic. Teflon is inert.

Looks like my lifelong reasoning of never using lubricants with a manufacturers name on it has served me well for a reason.

Manufacturers aren't in the business of making your engine last forever, regardless of what it's in, from weedwhackers to pickup trucks. With that in mind, I go with the best oil I can buy. Amsoil fits that bill for me.
I would agree that you don't need the manufacturers branded products to get quality lubricants, but I've never had a bad experience with any manufacturers oem products, and the only reasons I by-pass them are availability and price point.

Back