Stihl "synthetic" mix. "Biodegradeable" really means Useless in a week after mixed?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joseph Acquisto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While I was chasing a hard start problem on an 029 super, with "fresh mix", I was astonished to read that Stihl synthetic 2-cycle oil "biodegradable" really means it degrades in by 80% 21 days AFTER MIXING. I got this off of the Sthil USA web site.

That seems to mean any mix must be used almost immediately and will be "degraded" significantly in only a week. Can this be correct?

I'd go back to the standard orange bottle, but was told by the dealer I bough the synthetic from that once synthetic was run, you could never go back. Is that true?

Please help me grapple with those two points.

All oil is biodegradable….I believe Stihl is walking the very fine woke environmental line in saying that.

as long as you don’t fill your gas tank with bioactive dirt you’ll be fine…

You had better find another dealer. Like an Amsoil Saber oil .. 40~1 with regular unleaded. And I bet he told you to use 50~1 mix.

The dealer I bought it from closed up shop. This one is a HW store that also sells Stihl. And Husky. Odd that. Only go there for consumables when I've run out. They never mentioned ratio, but all the Stihl docs I've seen say 50:1.

I don’t know that it’s useless after 3 weeks but I definitely had more hard start issues with Hp Ultra, especially after having a couple of weeks pass. Switching to Red Armor from echo fixed that. Try an FD rated oil or Amsoil Saber or Dominator and see if it helps. Stihl should reformulate HP to bring it to Jaso FD spec but I guess they’re happy with it.

Also I have never heard of not switching between synthetic and non synthetic. It’s probably best not to be switching every tank but people switch oil brands all the time. That dealer is either an idiot or trying to upsell you, either way I’d look for a new dealer or just buy oil online.

The dealer I bought it from closed up shop. This one is a HW store that also sells Stihl. And Husky. Odd that. Only go there for consumables when I've run out. They never mentioned ratio, but all the Stihl docs I've seen say 50:1.
Sir, 50~1 is the absolute bare minimum. And do you think that the dealer would recommend a lower ration that may make the saw last longer? There business is to sell products. I would have someone richen it up and then start going with a 40~1 mix. Your saw will thank you.

That seems to be what I get from this thread, so far, at least using the oil I now have. Which Stihl itself says "biodegrades" about 80% in 21 days.

I've no idea what that really means, if it simply loses 80% of it's lubricating properties, or if it also "sours" the mix and affects performance.

Either way, it does not seem prudent to risk it.

Had I known that was their definition of "biodegradeable", I'd have never have bought it to begin with. I just figured it would break down quicker if spilled as raw oil or mix.

I'm sure I won't buy any more of it. I might still use the regular Stihl or try the other brands mentioned.

While I was chasing a hard start problem on an 029 super, with "fresh mix", I was astonished to read that Stihl synthetic 2-cycle oil "biodegradable" really means it degrades in by 80% 21 days AFTER MIXING. I got this off of the Sthil USA web site.

That seems to mean any mix must be used almost immediately and will be "degraded" significantly in only a week. Can this be correct?

I'd go back to the standard orange bottle, but was told by the dealer I bough the synthetic from that once synthetic was run, you could never go back. Is that true?

Please help me grapple with those two points.
Either he is lying or just ignorant.

the line if you start with synthetic oil, you must stick to it I believe mainly applied to synthetic oil used in cars (4cycle) many many years ago as think they were worried about the two types of oil mixing and causing some issues like foaming or sludge etc.
never Really applied to 2 cycles

That seems to be what I get from this thread, so far, at least using the oil I now have. Which Stihl itself says "biodegrades" about 80% in 21 days.

I've no idea what that really means, if it simply loses 80% of it's lubricating properties, or if it also "sours" the mix and affects performance.

Either way, it does not seem prudent to risk it.

Had I known that was their definition of "biodegradeable", I'd have never have bought it to begin with. I just figured it would break down quicker if spilled as raw oil or mix.

I'm sure I won't buy any more of it. I might still use the regular Stihl or try the other brands mentioned.
Biodegradation does not occur in a sealed container. I have Stihl synthetic in a 1 gallon gas can with pump non-ethanol gas for over a year and it runs perfectly fine in my stihl FS70.

people have the mistaken understanding that ‘synthetic’ things don’t degrade and that’s what Stihl is saying. Their stuff, when introduced into the environment from operation of the saw, will biodegrade…all oils will.

Either he is lying or just ignorant.
More like just confused…

it is horrible what companies do to placate the environuts…it does nothing but confuse real people for no reason.

I was watching Homstead Rescue and the one environut landowner made them use vegetable oil for bar oil because otherwise it would harm the environment….

It’s a clown world….

Teflon will stay in your body beyond your life time. That's what your frying pan coating is made of, unless you use ceramic or iron. I use iron pans to fry my meat and fish, no dangerous chemicals delivered to my ancestors by me.
Your American industry would certainly prefer it otherwise.

Teflon will stay in your body beyond your life time. That's what your frying pan coating is made of, unless you use ceramic or iron. I use iron pans to fry my meat and fish, no dangerous chemicals delivered to my ancestors by me.
Your American industry would certainly prefer it otherwise.
However Teflon is harmless…it was banned by environuts simply because…

Latest posts

Back