I need a milling machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was an auction at a huge CNC machine shop that went belly up. All the buyers there were high end, big time CNC buyers. Most of the machines were over $100,000. Those buyers had no interest in a manual machine. Hence the lack of bids. You may want to watch the auctions in your area that are like that. I also cleaned out the office area for crazy cheap money. There were no buyers there for that stuff either. I ended up with racks and racks of shelving, desks, chairs, refrigerators, copy machines, etc, for about $100 bucks.

Tony

There are never any auctions like that in my area. Closest to me would be Seattle and area where I might be able to find something.

............ I machined an entire USAS-12 select-fire lower receiver and all the internal fire control parts on a cheap bench top JET mill many years ago. Not the most refined thing, but plenty functional. I have a Bridgeport now.

Tony

Tony,

The green Jet 30 years ago is in no comparision to the green Grizzly today NONE.

I see you have a Bridgeport now:msp_smile:

I was so close to buying a round colum mill, then decided not to. I've been looking for a few years local and in that time 1 has been sold and went for too much money.

Really,,

The PNW is full of them. The aviation industry has dumped 10's of thousands of them. Helll ebay has gotten rich by reliablendmill over the years dumping aviation equipment 100 pieces a week

On the used ones:
Check for backlash in the feedscrews. tighten up the table screws and *gently* see how far the handles/handwheels turn, back and forth before they pull tight in the nut.
Do this at center range of travels and at end areas.

Also , with the screws semi snug, take note of how tight the table feels as its cranked along
those it's entire travel
big changes in the fit between the areas of travel will tell of a worn machine.
some people will just say use a DRO to tell you where the table is,
true with the leadscrew issue
but those worn ways and gibs will drive you nuts for inconstant table movements at the least
...and cost you in dead parts at the worst.

*lotta clank in the spindles back gears can warn you of a hammered spindle
and the bearings that will cause "little glitches" in in light (finishing) cuts
or make boring holes "iffy"

*can indicate some rough cutting, done on a machine that's been marked for disposal.

been a while since I was a "productive member of society"
(small jobshop, manual machines, bit of fabrication ' .. bit of small engine, too.)
so memories of things I encountered (and sometimes worked around) have faded a bit.

the Grizzlies and the Jets and The rungfu 30/31 mills are all made in the same Plant in China /Japan

a 2 hp rung fu 31 would be the beast to get

i work with people in the bowling industry and thats what they use to drill bowling balls its the Setup to get

the d/r are the way to go either the cheaper kind or the DRO's with the computer in them

it weighes around 800 lbs with out stand

if your using one dont make the belt tight it will make the cutter chatter

you can find them on ebay for around 1200 new with out DRO's but you need that

so look at another 800 for DRO

freight to door is another 200

the price adds up

you can do the adding of glass scales and dro your self

the Cast is easy to drill and tap

Mike

attachment.php

I'm gonna get the Grizzly. The shop is too small for anything larger. The Rong Fu and Jet are made in the same factory as the Grizzly so I can't see paying more for the same machine with different paint....

No three phase power, me too. I love old tree phase industrial equipment. It is better and cheaper than new stuff. I made my own rotary converter from used surplus components. I can run 15Hp motors.
P1010013.jpg

10hp motor
P1010014.jpg

Controls Box
P1010016.jpg

P1010015.jpg

Contactor controls and capacitors

Bridgeports shop up on CL upm in New England for anywhere from $500 to $1500 all the time.

I'm gonna get the Grizzly. The shop is too small for anything larger. The Rong Fu and Jet are made in the same factory as the Grizzly so I can't see paying more for the same machine with different paint....

Different brands have different specs for manufacturing. The Rong Fu is better than Jet and Jet better than Grizzly. They look the same but tolerances are not. Find a good Series I Bridgeport if you can. The DRO and power feed are critical. Keep looking.

Last edited:
Back