I need a milling machine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking at the Grizzly G1006. It's s small mill by most standards but I'm in a small shop. Does anyone have any experience with this model? Is there another I should be looking at? I don't have 3 phase or much room so.........

Get a Bridgeport and you will be happy for life. There are many on the used market. Take your time and get a good one. If the ways are good everything else can be rebuilt at low cost.

50 years experience
Charles Hopkins

OIC.

Love the avatar BTW. :rock:

Well here's some for you then.

totem_monkeys.jpg

On the mill thing. . . These machinist guys are telling you to go bigger and better because they've experienced many different machines and capabilities. They've also machined really big things, and really small things -- they've taken .100" or better at a pass, where you might only be able to chew out .010". They were also on the clock, and didn't want to waste a bunch of time -- where you can camp at your machine for an extra 10-15 and nobody is behind you squawking.

Rod Weber (the full-wrap guy) is the same way. He's a machinist from the aircraft industry -- where tolerances are stupid, and perfection is expected. His little mill drives him absolutely crazy, and some days he can't even look at it without it pissing him off. But he wants to take huge bites, fast, and with no chatter or problems. It's because he's used the good machines, and anything less is not worth having. I, on the other hand, would love to have his mill.

Hell, even a drill press with a cross-slide would be a blessing. :msp_biggrin:

I recently cut 25 thou of a 55 jug by hand, using various files, scrapers, and sand paper. I worked in quadrants and took my time. In the end, it was well withing spec for a saw jug.

Let me tell you though, the whole time I was dreaming of a mill. :msp_love:

Oh yeah, go over to NS and look at all the saw work Cheech is doing with that little lathe and Jet mill he has.

Dude is churning out some sweet work. :rock:

On the mill thing. . . These machinist guys are telling you to go bigger and better because they've experienced many different machines and capabilities. They've also machined really big things, and really small things -- they've taken .100" or better at a pass, where you might only be able to chew out .010". They were also on the clock, and didn't want to waste a bunch of time -- where you can camp at your machine for an extra 10-15 and nobody is behind you squawking.

Rod Weber (the full-wrap guy) is the same way. He's a machinist from the aircraft industry -- where tolerances are stupid, and perfection is expected. His little mill drives him absolutely crazy, and some days he can't even look at it without it pissing him off. But he wants to take huge bites, fast, and with no chatter or problems. It's because he's used the good machines, and anything less is not worth having. I, on the other hand, would love to have his mill.

I recently cut 25 thou of a 55 jug by hand, using various files, scrapers, and sand paper. I worked in quadrants and took my time. In the end, it was well withing spec for a saw jug.

I now use a drill press with a milling table. It's just not rigid enough to do accurate work. I only need to be able to make a spacer plate or flange every now and then.....

I agree Nate. I don't know what shipping cost, but dang I'd mill your cylinders for nothing.

I do light milling work on my Lathe, and yes I take small cuts, sometimes .005" at a time, that would drive a machinist absolutely nuts.

FYI, Randy, I made this on my 9" hercus lathe. This is what you were talking about making Randy? Took me a while but I got it done. The mill Randy is getting will be better then my setup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I agree Nate. I don't know what shipping cost, but dang I'd mill your cylinders for nothing.

I do light milling work on my Lathe, and yes I take small cuts, sometimes .005" at a time, that would drive a machinist absolutely nuts.

FYI, Randy, I made this on my 9" hercus lathe. This is what you were talking about making Randy? Took me a while but I got it done. The mill Randy is getting will be better then my setup.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yeah Will I saw that sweet milling setup you made for the lathe. Good work there my friend.

I think the grizzy will do what I need. When I get a bigger place I can upgrade....

Yeah Will I saw that sweet milling setup you made for the lathe. Good work there my friend.

I think the grizzy will do what I need. When I get a bigger place I can upgrade....

I'm sure it will do you fine Randy. Just do a good setup on it is all, make a mount so you can get a dial indicator in the quill/head, and tram the mill, make sure its dialed in, and do what you have to to make it right, and just stay within the limitations of the mill and you'll be fine. Like someone else said, fill the column with something heavy, see if you can get a crapload of old wheel weights from a tire shop and melt them down and pour it in there, would be a bit of work but well worth it.

Back