Porting a Poulan 25da

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update on Boyeson Reeds

I've been in contact with Boyeson, sent them my reed and have heard back from them. They are offering the following based on the reed I sent them:

1) We can make this reed in .022" thick fiber glass material. The price would be $13.95 per reed plus a $25 custom reed set-up fee.

2) We can also make this reed in .022" thick carbon fiber material. The price would be $20.95 per reed plus a $25 custom reed set-up fee.

Any ideas on if the carbon fiber is worth the extra $7 or would the fiberglass be sufficient?

I will be ordering at least 5 of these for other projects and interested folks. If anyone wants one, please contact me and I'll increase the order. I'll cover the $25 set-up fee since I was going to anyway. I intend to order them on or about 14 January (next Monday).

I've been in contact with Boyeson, sent them my reed and have heard back from them. They are offering the following based on the reed I sent them:

Any ideas on if the carbon fiber is worth the extra $7 or would the fiberglass be sufficient?

I will be ordering at least 5 of these for other projects and interested folks. If anyone wants one, please contact me and I'll increase the order. I'll cover the $25 set-up fee since I was going to anyway. I intend to order them on or about 14 January (next Monday).

Are they both going to be the "2 stage" or will the carbon be single stage reeds?

Ported Poulan S25da and Stihl 200t w/ muffler screen removed. Bars buried in Elm.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/NPKenny/s25DAvs200tElm2.mp4

Same saws in some incredibly hard wood of unknown species. I thought it was Cedar Bark Elm until the chain hit it.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/NPKenny/s25davs200tHardwood1.mp4

Wood for ID...
B8C985B4-D3C0-4D01-8B23-F8D6FBCF20DE-105-000000089418BF9E.jpg

99C84EF3-E0B7-4CC3-8A34-4439C18F0921-105-000000089B793F0D.jpg

Same saws in some seasoned elm species. Probably Siberian Elm, but pretty darned hard in this state.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/NPKenny/25sdavs200tOldElm1.mp4

Both chains are Stihl semi-chisel with the rakers a bit low for the wood I found at the yard. Both are wearing 14" bars, with the Poulan being a few links longer. The Poulan has a hard nose bar and a poorer chain, overall. This saw deserves a little better set-up and I'll get that taken care of.

For reference, this is at 3,600 ft elevation which really does make a difference.

My little Poulan probably needs some reed work. Tons of spitback through the carb. Piston might be too worn as well. The compression tore up my hands starting it. The 200t pulls over like a toy in comparison.

I'm pretty happy with this guy. Fun little project.
That 200 is wayy too rich. I have run ones that I never herd 4 stroke once. Could not blow them up..

That 200 is wayy too rich. I have run ones that I never herd 4 stroke once. Could not blow them up..

Yep! That is very much corrected now. I leaned it throughout the day and then noticed it was still very pronounced 4-stroking when I looked at the videos. I had just done the accelerator pump upgrade on the 200T carb prior to the video and clearly hadn't gotten it tuned in.

Why don't you just buy a sheet of the material and cut them yourself?

I'll probably do that if I work another reed valve saw, but I don't know much about optimizing what the reed is trying to accomplish. I figured I would like to see what they fit to the reed for mounting it, what the material stiffness is, etc.

I'm sure Boyeson makes a great reed.. but their prices are quite high.

Give Tony a call or email TDR and Banshee Superstore - Your PWC and Yamaha Banshee Performance Source

He sent me some reed material for a good price, and responds very quickly

I'm sure he's wondering why all these chainsaw guys are bothering him lately. Thanks Plan-b...(is it ok to share here?)

Last edited:
Back